El Faro/Costambar Controversy

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
The Puerto Plata paper, in its inimitable journalistic fashion, reports that local visitors complain about the entrance road, "hygiene" conditions, entrance fees, etc.

Costambar residents, on the other hand, complain about hundreds of drunken-noisy-dirty-etcetera-young people being herded to the beach, where drownings, stabbings, brawls and ETOH ODs contribute to the festive atmosphere.

Any opinionated residents out there?

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
For Real?

While we are not residents, we do visit each year for Semana Santa. Since I don't have a car, I don't care about the road conditions. Have never had to pay a fee, and have only seen a few drunks on weekends. Have never seen a fight, drugs, or weapons.

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
Yes, there is a entrance fee for local visitors on the weekend, and it's true, thousands of them invade the beach on Sundays by buses from Santiago, Moca etc., leaving a mess all over the place, fights have been reported and and it looks like easter week every Sunday.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
Costambar

The exact gist of the article escaped me, to be honest. I think that it blended the benign neglect by municipal authorities, the Sunday visitors' concern over facilities and residents' concerns over the Sunday visitors.

periodicoelfaro.com.do

"Hygiene" refers to amazing amounts of trash deposited on the beach and streets, and perhaps the alarming toilet-per-person ratio, too.

School buses, guaguas, vans and the like are charged an entrance fee (RD$50, I think) on Sundays. Fee waived for Semana Santa.

The local visitors referred to are said to be from Santiago's poorer barrios, relatively few from Puerto Plata.

Any Costambar residents out there?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
luzcace said:
The problem isn't just the trash, it brings other negative things such as drugs, prostitution and other crime with it.

Blackbeard's is something new?;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
There has been prostitution in costamber ever since it was built. In fact, you had prostitutes living in costambar for many years. I was a resident of costambar for almost 2 1/2 yrs. This problem of dominican tigres coming to trash the beach is an ongoing issue. The hookers have been there since colombus arrived and the drugs were in use by the foreigners since decades as well. I see nothing new in people's complaints.
AZB

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
drug use

azb, the foreigners I know who reside in Costambar are generally 60-70 yr.-old retirees. Their drug habits would be limited to blood pressure meds, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, Clairol products and the like.:knockedou

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
drbill said:
azb, the foreigners I know who reside in Costambar are generally 60-70 yr.-old retirees. Their drug habits would be limited to blood pressure meds, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, Clairol products and the like.:knockedou
Bill, 5-8 years ago there was a very good young italian, german population living in costambar. You know which hotel, apartment complex I am talking about, do you? I will not mention names but during those times, these same young guys were being investigated by police for cocaine trafficking. One crazy italian guy lived in the entrance of the costambar, married to an ex hooker. He was a drunk and used drugs regularly. Then you had another italian owning a little bar in the beach, married to another hooker. he lost everything in to cocaine. Then you had a building next to a pizzaria, again full of italian guys, being investigated for drugs. Then you had a pretty healthy sized germans living there, who knows what went on there in their places. I don't have to go into details but I was warned by pop police to stay away from them as they will go down soon. Drugs have been in costambar for a long time. Hookers roamed the streets since the old days. Now I am not sure if the young guys have moved out or turned old from cocaine usage but there were lots of young guys living there at that time.
AZB

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
AZB, maybe things have settled down... .

I do remember the former Roberto's Beach Bar (late 80's, early 90's) and the colorful cast of characters slugging down Lamumbas on Sundays mornings, thru lunch and Happy Hour, sunset and longer. Talk about the wild west. AA pilots, off-shore investment consultants, the pistol-totin' Teutonic psychopath, the pneumatic implant recipient... and so on.

This Sunday incursion must be seen to be believed, all heck breaks loose, not pretty. Truly a case of 10 pounds in a 5-pound bag.

ciao

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
You are all right, but as everything else, things are different than 5-10 years ago, like prostitution, and drugs definatley were not sold openly to teenagers and youngsters, and i don't think Locals used drugs as they do now.
I also remember those golden days at Roberto's Beach Bar.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Ok folks, I live in Costambar. While the access road outside the "Gate" is a bit rough, Costambar streets are not filled with hookers eager to pass on the "gift that keeps giving". To be sure, there are some, apparently esconced in Blackbeards, according to the internet. Now, the weekend crowds of Dominicans who until recently did fill the streets on entering and leaving the (public) beach have been diverted via the Cafemba Road, which gives them beach access and keeps Costambar's streets clear. The beach areas are well patrolled by the Tourist Police. The beach is cleaned regularly.
Costambar remains a very nice neighbourhood, despite any comments to the contrary. Perhaps when the Puerta Plata's Malecon's beaches are cleared of filth and garbage, there will be more acceptable space for the Dominicans (and tourists). Canadian Bob.

deecat3

Apr 1, 2006
I am planning to visit Costambar in June

Hi Bob!

I am planning to come to Costambar (from Canada) the first 2 weeks of June,
I am a little concerned about what I have read on this forum....I actually find your posting to be the most positive. Are there any tips you can give me, before I confirm everything?

Thanks so much!

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Living in Costambar

We are living in Costambar for 6 months now and feel very happy. Very quiet very clean, everybody very friendly. On Sundays sometimes there is a problem at the gate while lots of cars enter Costambar at the same time, but it doen't take long. We, as residents, have the possibility to go out at different time. On the side from Costambar we are living we don't see any of those people coming around on weekends. But....we are living in Dominican Republic and, after all, this is their country. Dominicans have the right to go to the beach and if they don't have the same habits as ours, doesn't matter, we have to respect them as they have to respect us also. With a little comprehension of both sides, there is no problem. The one who doesn't accept this has to go back to his own country where, I'm sure, everything is perfect....Another question...if everything is so perfect why do come those foreigners to live here?

deecat3

Apr 1, 2006
Which side of Costambar is the better one?

Estrella1 said:
We are living in Costambar for 6 months now and feel very happy. Very quiet very clean, everybody very friendly. On Sundays sometimes there is a problem at the gate while lots of cars enter Costambar at the same time, but it doen't take long. We, as residents, have the possibility to go out at different time. On the side from Costambar we are living we don't see any of those people coming around on weekends. But....we are living in Dominican Republic and, after all, this is their country. Dominicans have the right to go to the beach and if they don't have the same habits as ours, doesn't matter, we have to respect them as they have to respect us also. With a little comprehension of both sides, there is no problem. The one who doesn't accept this has to go back to his own country where, I'm sure, everything is perfect....Another question...if everything is so perfect why do come those foreigners to live here?

HI Estrella!

Which is the nicer side of Costambar? I am planning a trip there in June,
I actually have a friend who will check the location of the condo I am thinking of renting....but I would appreciate any input or tips you may have for me........especially before I confirm my booking! Thanks!