furniture stores in Puerta plata?

AGUCKERT

Mar 23, 2006
Looking for good name of stores to purchase furniture in Puerta plata does anyone know of any and if so do you have their name and location. Husband is in caberete today need to furnish a home asap or before sat. Any help would be great.

Thanks

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Try Santiago ! !

I've lived in POP for 10 years, & bought a lot of furniture.
* Overview: furniture, appliances, & almost everything else is more expensive in POP & Sosua; mainly because there are so many foreigners @ who have $ & are willing to pay more, usually much more, out of ignorance or for convenience.
* Solution: shop in Santiago [or Santo Domingo, even better]; generally furniture prices are @ 60% of what the POP prices are, in my opinion.
* Also, have a Dominican female go into the store 1st; have her try to establish the price, before the store learns of your white skin. Most [ie nearly all] DR funriture stores I have seen have no posted prices; a few do. Make an adventure out of this! There are also wood working shops that hand make furniture to your specifications; some of their prices are cheaper than the retail stores. Good hunting!

AGUCKERT

Mar 23, 2006
Thanks for your advise! I shared this with my husband and he is planning on going into santiago today, however he doesn't have or know a female there. thats ok he will figure it out on his own

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Other Options

If you still have Problems, write me. Come to Gaspar hernandez (Closer than Santiago) and you will be Set up By noon tomorrow. Plus my wife can go in ahead with the list.....Or visit Gonzales Distribuors in Puerto Plata , talk to Laura, You dont need a Dominicana there , the oprices are on everything, they take credit card and you will get a 10% didcount with Card or a 15% discount wiothout credit card......I doubt that Santiago would be able to deliver by tomorrow .........

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
gringosabroso said:
I've lived in POP for 10 years, & bought a lot of furniture.
* Overview: furniture, appliances, & almost everything else is more expensive in POP & Sosua; mainly because there are so many foreigners @ who have $ & are willing to pay more, usually much more, out of ignorance or for convenience.
* Solution: shop in Santiago [or Santo Domingo, even better]; generally furniture prices are @ 60% of what the POP prices are, in my opinion.
* Also, have a Dominican female go into the store 1st; have her try to establish the price, before the store learns of your white skin. Most [ie nearly all] DR funriture stores I have seen have no posted prices; a few do. Make an adventure out of this! There are also wood working shops that hand make furniture to your specifications; some of their prices are cheaper than the retail stores. Good hunting!

i want a platform bed frame made...in your opinion what will a woodworker charge for this to be made...basic design???

what are retail prices for ;
small washine machine?
small fridge?
oven?

can you give me some idea as to what the prices are for these items youve seen in santiago/ SD. im sort of budgeting the following
$400 washing m/c
$450 fridge
$600 oven
am i being unreasonable????

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
My husband bought a Daewoo small washing machine in Gaspar Hernandez for $4500 RD - this included delivery (to Sosua), warranty, and setup. He saw a fridge for $12000 RD, and a stove for $5000-$7000 RD, depending what you want. He said the trip to GH was well worth it.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
billyidol said:
i want a platform bed frame made...in your opinion what will a woodworker charge for this to be made...basic design???
what are retail prices for ;
small washine machine?
small fridge?
oven?

can you give me some idea as to what the prices are for these items youve seen in santiago/ SD. im sort of budgeting the following
$400 washing m/c
$450 fridge
$600 oven
am i being unreasonable????

Have no Idea on the Bedframe but there are plenty of woodworkers out this way.
I just oiutfitted 2 homes

Fridge 12,600 Pesos
Washing Machine is variable. If it is the Type used by Dominican poorer familes then About 5000 Pesos. My wife and I need one and we are considering the Semi-Automatic And it is going around 15,000m Pesos . The North American Full size type is about 22,000 to 28,000
A Small Dominican type stove Propane is from 5000 to 7000 Pesos
You can get stoves up to 18,000-20,000 Pesos .

Your Budget

Washing Machine A Little Low for Semi or full auto (You wont find those here )

Stove you are way high for the average small Dominican Stove Right on for the fancy dancy stove

Fridge you are about right for a Medium quality Smaller Style fridge ......