Thinking of moving to the DR

WAde1964!!

Apr 26, 2006
I am an Afro-American and will be retiring in a few years. I will be coming down to DR later this year on vacation. My cousin and I are looking for a great place to retire and stretch our dollars. I will be receiving approx $3000US per month in pension. Would like to know if this amount will sustain me if my house or condo is already paid for. The other issue for me is racism, and how black americans, or blacks ingeneral are treated there.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
3 grand/month will do you fine.
The racism question may be hard to answer, and I do believe it's even a taboo subject on this message board, and for good reason.
Let's put it this way.
We love to see good people move here, regardless of race, creed or religion.
I'm sure with a bit of research, you'll be able to find your slice of paradise.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
There is a rich tradtion of African-Americans in the Dominican Republic. Rev. Richard Allen, the first Bishop of the AME Church here in Philadelphia, gathered a sizeable number of freeman and freed Africans, and expatriated them to the Samana Peninsula. There are a large number of thier decendants there today! They just celebrated an anniversary earlier this year which was reported on DR1. I'm African-American and have visited the DR two to four times a year for the past six years and have never had a problem. I envy you for being able to establish a home there. Perhaps one day I'll join you!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
WAde1964,
Welcome to DR1. I have been living here since 1996 and on my pension live comfortably on half of what you will have. As to color all I can say is living here is as it was when I grew up in Wash DC if you are familiar with that area. I foresee no problems for you especially when they realize you are an American. Good luck and keep us informed.

Rick

WAde1964!!

Apr 26, 2006
I really needed that. I appreciate the info and maybe one day real soon our paths will cross. I look forward to vacationing there real soon. Plan to visit atleast twice a year. Any advise on property or just daily life would be helpful.
Thnx fm Philadelphia

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
WAde1964!! said:
I really needed that. I appreciate the info and maybe one day real soon our paths will cross. I look forward to vacationing there real soon. Plan to visit atleast twice a year. Any advise on property or just daily life would be helpful.
Thnx fm Philadelphia
Real Estate can be a good investment, if you know what you are doing, so the secret is to not rush, visit a few times, meet some good people who can help guide you in the right direction and away from the bad, and all will be well in paradise.

WAde1964!!

Apr 26, 2006
Thnx 2 everyone for all the info. I would like to get some more insight on cost of living and things like that, medical care, best places to live, average prices for homes, rent etc.,

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
WAde1964!! said:
Thnx 2 everyone for all the info. I would like to get some more insight on cost of living and things like that, medical care, best places to live, average prices for homes, rent etc.,

Where are you planning to Relocate to ? Which part of the Island ?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
WAde1964!! said:
Those are questions that are very difficult to answer from afar, and to someone who's tastes & requirements are unknown.
I'm sure that a couple of days here with the right people will have you as informed as you can be.
It's almost like shopping an unknown piece of art, over the telephone.
Seeing's believing.