question for other car renters

Sep 19, 2005
When you rent, are you finding that the gas tank is on dead empty?

It happens EVERY time where i rent. there are pluses and minuses in most things and my rental company is no exception. They have good rates, even though the cars are older, and the guy will take care of you usually when there is a problem with the car. But this empty gas tank irks me. You have to go directly to the very first gas station you can find or you will run out of gas!

it was bad back when they were rationing the days that gas could be sold. This last trip , was the straw that may have broke the camels back. I only ask for a few things to always work on my cars... the stereo-cd player, the A/C, and the brakes....... everything else isnt as important. Well I get my Mitubishi Limited and i check the CD player and AC..seems fine and I am off. I get to the gas station and it takes 25 gallons of gas...have any idea how much that costs( premium, because they had problems a few months back with regular gas clogging fuel filters) 3300 pesos!!!!!!! thats over a hundred bucks!.. well i went to my gfs house and into and back from santiago, and then the stereo started skipping really bad. the next day i take it back and trade for another car.. sure enough the next car is bone dry in the gas tank!...i told them YOU are reimbursing me for the gas!

well sure enough they gave me a hassle when I returned the car... they used every excuse in the book. One guy there says you NEVER get riembursed for gas at a car rental company. he didnt like my reply at all. they sell the gas for sure.... to make extra money. Its NEVER in the cars!

well after lots of haggling with the woman on the phone.. they knocked $45 off the bill on my total rental.... I may think twice about renting from them again after this. i rented 9 times with the same company so far... so i know their pattern. I wonder if happens at the other car rentals companies

So are the rest of your car renters seeing the same thing?

bob

bob

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I think they siphon the gas out when the car is returned by a client, then spit in it once or twice, just enough to get the next rentor to the gas station.

Sep 19, 2005
Im looking to find out if it happens at others places not really bad mouth the company so much.... I have posted about them in the past good and bad. they dont advertise here.

bob

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Why not rent from a company (like National) that gives you the car with a full tank and requires you to bring in back with a full tank?

Sep 19, 2005
I dont have any other answer now than...most car companies wanted over $120 per day for the size vehicles i want to rent. yeah they are newer...But i dont want to look like I am driving a rental car.. The slightly banged up cars fit in much better.

rellosk...do you think for one minute any slogan used in america by a car company applies in the DR??????????? ha ha ha

its a whole new world in the DR... the only thing the same is how they spell the company name!!!!!!!!!!

bob

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
laurapasinifan said:
I dont have any other answer now than...most car companies wanted over $120 per day for the size vehicles i want to rent. yeah they are newer...But i dont want to look like I am driving a rental car.. The slightly banged up cars fit in much better.

rellosk...do you think for one minute any slogan used in america by a car company applies in the DR??????????? ha ha ha

its a whole new world in the DR... the only thing the same is how they spell the company name!!!!!!!!!!

bob

i rent from ALAMO.... and just like National,,, i get the tank either FULL or 7/8th full and have to return it same way... if not they charge you more for a gallon than if you pay at the bomba (gas station).

and alamo rates i find them to be really good and they have good service;
never had a problem with them. And with a code i use i get 10% off :p

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Alamo/National

I've been renting from Alamo/National in SDQ and STI since '04. Never a problem.

Stop Trying to Save a Buck!

-Helpmann :)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
others

helpmann said:
I've been renting from Alamo/National in SDQ and STI since '04. Never a problem.

Stop Trying to Save a Buck!

-Helpmann :)

Also no problems with Dollar in Santo Domingo. rent it full, return it full. prices not bad, not great. but a well maintained car, and all the required equipment spare tire, jack. With full insurance, about 65-70 a day over samana santa

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
I'm not sure what you mean.

I've rented from National in the DR many times (although, not recently) and the only complaint I have is that it takes so long for them to process the paperwork.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
In the Same Boat (2x)

rellosk said:
I'm not sure what you mean.

I've rented from National in the DR many times (although, not recently) and the only complaint I have is that it takes so long for them to process the paperwork.
Both in SDQ and STI they have slow ass dial-up modems. It takes forever.

BTW: Don't worry, you're not the only person who has trouble deciphering Bob's posts.

-Helpmann :laugh:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
laurapasinifan said:

bob

I guess that shows how little you know about some car rental companies here.

I know the people at National/Alamo very well. They are a 1st class act and haven't heard anything bad about them. They write close to 20,000 rental contracts a year in the DR, so I guess they are doing something right. They support their clients, offer great quality vehicles with good rates and don't screw with you on the gas.

If you have any doubts about their service or professionalism, email the boss of National/Alamo in the DR directly and I'm sure he will be happy to put your doubts to rest. His name is Elso Payamps, fluent in English and a nice guy to deal with.
Email: e.payamps@grupoambar.com

Next...

Sep 19, 2005
of course I know nothing of any other car rental company than the one I have used every trip.

Thats why i have a question for OTHERS

my point about the slogans, was that seldom are things the same about a company that does buisness in america, and also has an outlet in the DR.

we all acknowledge it seems that the hotel chains dont deliver the same type of service in the Dr as they do in america!. So i was just suggestiing that some fancy slogan about let say...HERTZ.. with OJ Simpson jumping over things in the airport to get his rental and go in a hurry....will never happen in the DR... THEY do things slower here.... and they are WAY more exspensive in the Dr than in america. Just think of all the advertising gimmicks used in the us to get people to rent cars there...how many apply in the DR?..........any feature or special treatment one car rental company may offer, like drop you off and pick you up....probably wont happen in the DR......PROBABLY is what i said....

I am glad some of you have recieved great service.....I have recieved great service in many respects, others not so great...........I am inquiring .....................which is to say i DONT KNOW ABOUT THE OTHER COMPANIES!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to ask...telling me I dont know squat about other car rental companies....is reduntant

bob