Shipping Household belongings

ftsnow

Jan 8, 2006
When I have my residency numbers, and ready to ship my things to the DR will they charge me a huge import tax? Is there any provision for people relocating to the DR? How does this work? Which port is best to use? Can anyone recommend a company, and/or the process?

Sep 19, 2005
I JUST talked to my buddy in the DR tonight about this subject. He said that if you are dominican and returning to the DR you can get a tax break on your stuff. He even said if you are moving BACK to the DR you can even bring a car older than 5 years back as well......anything thats personal when you move back can come and it isnt taxed like other things...IF AT ALL.

I know my other buddies ship things in huge boxes in containers on cargo ships. And since they never check every one....most of the time he pays NO TAX at all on anything....

he did say that he brought a 20 " tv back through STI and they questioned him. they wanted him to pay a 9,000 peso tax !!!!!!!!!! he negotiated it down to 7500 pesos.... because it was brand new.....

bob.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I was just up at Businessmail.

I asked about moving. I was told to get in touch with
RAFAEL SABA
Atallah Business Group
305 593 5383

Might ask, anyway.

HB :D:D:D

ftsnow

Jan 8, 2006
I will be moving from Atlanta, Georgia to an area close to Mao.
I'm not Dominican, but have applied for residency. So I'm not moving BACK, I'm just moving.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Close to Mao? EsperanZa? Cruce de Guayacanes? Laguna Salada? Mao Adentro? Mart?nez. Baj?n?

HUmmmmmmmmm??:p:p

HB

ftsnow

Jan 8, 2006
Alfredo Guzman said:
Upon obtaining your provisional residency you will receive a 6 month tax exemption period on all household items.

Is that from the time you pick your provisional residency, or from the time it is issued and ready to be picked up? How much time do you have to pick up the residency? Can you stall to allow more time before the clock starts ticking? I'm doing the math on time and this would force me to move my things some months before I will be able to leave.

What constitutes household items. Is that ALL my belongings, or are some things exempted?