approximate costs on some house hold items if bought in SD or santiago

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
i just want some approximate costs on some house hold items if bought in SD or santiago
what are retail prices for ;
small washine machine?
small fridge?
oven?

can you give me some idea as to what the prices are for these items youve seen in santiago/ SD. im sort of budgeting the following
$400 washing m/c
$450 fridge
$600 oven
am i being unreasonable????

secondly i want a platform bed frame made...in your opinion what will a woodworker charge for this to be made...basic design??? As i wish to get away from being charged 4-500us for a bed frame

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I did this last night but i couldn't get on DR1 for some reason.

Answer

$400 @32.10 = RD$12,840->will get you Japanese washing machine in Santiago
$450 @ 32.10= RD$14,446-> MIGHT get you a good used US manf fridge or a small Japanese one. I'd say it was doable.
$600 @ 32.10 = RD$19,260 -> A small 4 burner stove of local origin

You need to get here and learn to diddle for your stuff. I am sorry, but i don't know about the bed frames.

HB :D:D

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Delivery

Hillbilly

Do you know whether the stores in Santiago will deliver to Puerto Plata and if so, how much do they charge for delivery?

Thanks
Daydream

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Delivery is a whole 'nuther thing. :p

There are some delivery services. If, for example , you were to buy in Ochoa, they cetainly do have delivery service, which has received some scathing commentaries, I must add.

I think first you should locate what you need at the price you want to pay-being sure to get the best price, of course, and THEN worry about delivery.

I'll ask around and see if RAS has service up that way..

HB:D:D:D

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hillbilly said:
I think first you should locate what you need at the price you want to pay-being sure to get the best price, of course, and THEN worry about delivery.

I'll ask around and see if RAS has service up that way..

HB:D:D:D

Agreed.....was just thinking that it might be better to try and get hold of a small van for the day and cart everything back in one go. Was actually asking on behalf of a friend but I am not sure where you would get hold of a small van to hire though :paranoid:

Daydream

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Santiago Shopping ? ? ?

My 2 cents worth, as those Americans say:

* I don't do enough furniture or appliance shopping to know the kind of prices info Hillbillly gave. Most of the appliances seem to be made in Korea or Asia; not necessarily a bad thing.

* I comparison shop @ PriceSmart & Plaza Lama, Santiago; plenty of large & small appliances; some furnture; take notes; establish a baseline; it's free; if theres enough $ at stake, it might be worth a trip to Santo Domingo; the Plaza Lama in SD is larger than a Wal-Mart. There are several large & high quality furniture stores in SD. I've found that these 2 stores usually have the lowest available DR prices.

* How much do you intend to spend? $2K - $4K? In total? Try Merengue Cargo Express; Bronx, N. Y. 718-538-3889; Santiago, RD 809-734-0500. My paramour's family living in the Bronx has used them to import 2 large appliiances to POP; 36" TV & a gas stove. You can buy in the US or buy on line; Merenge delivered & SET UP both in POP; very professional; It cost US $150. for the stove; they don't seem to pay much duty? I reccomend this service. Web site: Allegedly? www.merenguecargoexpress.com! But I can't use it?

* Platform beds? Almost every large barrio has a "taller de madeira" - wood working shops. They make simple funriture, esp. platform beds, usually out of pine; not the highest quality workmanshop, but functional. They usually build to suit. I suggest that you ask, or have a DR ask, in POP, Sosua, or Santago. There are literally 100s of them; a local cottage industry.

* Please share the results of your research on line? "Consumer Reports" is look for a reporter or 2 in the DR! Good hunting!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In Santiago there is a furniture store named Adames, I know how to get there but I only know you go down Feb. 27 and make a left turn to reach it. Perhaps HB can direct you. I bought a decent amount of furniture there and Jose (the owner) did not charge for delivery to Sosua. It was delivered the next day to my door. The store is huge, even along US lines. Three large showroom floors. They have pretty much any kind of furniture you will need.

Ask for Jose and bargain a little with him.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If it's the one I'm thinking of it's on 30 de Marzo. Easy to get to.

NOTE: The idea of sending stuff that was suggested will work just fine. Lots of people doing it.

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
Hillbilly said:
If it's the one I'm thinking of it's on 30 de Marzo. Easy to get to.

NOTE: The idea of sending stuff that was suggested will work just fine. Lots of people doing it.

thanks all