large supermarkets near Costambar

deecat3

Apr 1, 2006
What are the best supermarkets in Costambar? (especially for meat). I will be visiting there in June for a couple of weeks.......does anyone speak English in the shopping areas? Please let me know....Thanks!

purplebunniern

May 13, 2004
the closet big market is in puerto plata. there are just a few small stores in Costambar. yes they do speak english.

deecat3

Apr 1, 2006
Thanks for your reply.....do the smaller shops in Costambar sell beef and chicken and some seafood at all?

purplebunniern

May 13, 2004
They sell chicken for sure. seafood no and beef I do not recall as I do not eat red meat. If you are going to be there for a few weeks > i would recommend taking a trip to a large market for your main stuff and then use the small er store to pick up little stuff.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
There are three sizeable supermarkets in Puerta Plata - Jose Luis, Tropicale and Messon.

I would also recommend going into town once a week for a big shop and picking up the odd thing from the smaller stores in Costambar.

Will you have a car whilst you are there? I am not sure prices of taxis into town however I am sure someone on this board can advise as to costs.

Enjoy your trip :classic:

Daydream.

Last edited:

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
deecat3 said:
Thanks for your reply.....do the smaller shops in Costambar sell beef and chicken and some seafood at all?
Hi deecat! Jenny's store in Costambar carries nearly everything, including bottled water and a fair selection of frozen meat, but Jose Luis in Puerto Plata is the store we prefer for selections & prices... Canadian Bob.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Jenny's Market

We go down for 2 weeks & do all our shopping there. For the amount of time we are visiting, and considering we eat at least 1/2 our lunch/dinners out, we believe it is not economical to hire a taxi to go into town. However, we do miss the larger selection that is available in the larger markets. If we were there longer than 2 weeks, they we would definitely do a big shopping in town. If you are very specific about brands you would be best going into town.

Nomad

Feb 2, 2006
Messon's

Messon's has good prices and also a free taxi ride home. And yes, they do take you to Costambar. But please tip the driver. Alot of stores in PP offer this, Casa Nelson and Jimenez offer free moto-conch ride in local area.

Nomad