Citizenship - The Complete Q&A Thread

DRDesire

Apr 27, 2006
Hello Everyone,

I?m new here in a way. I have never registered before though I have been reading these forums for about 1.5 years (on and off). I have been interested in the DR for quite sometime and have found a lot of information here.

With that said, I will later in this message be asking some very important and detailed questions about Citizenship and the issues surrounding it. Yes, I have pretty much read everything there is to read on this forum, but I find myself a bit confused at times. Knowing this, it has prompted what you will soon read. The way I see it, if it is unclear to me, it perhaps is unclear to a few others. I am not a member of MENSA, but I do consider myself reasonably intelligent.

I have compiled a list of questions of my own, plus have added many that I have found inside these forums that I have seen more than one answer to. My hopes are to ask some very detailed questions and get very definitive answers in return. This will not only benefit me and the others that are considering citizenship in paradise, but it will help the members of this forum by allowing them to refer to this one thread as hopefully an ?answer all?. Then if the people have a variation of anything found in this thread, then perhaps it will send them in the right direction and then they can avoid asking questions that have been beaten to death already.

If you are not sure of the answer to one of the questions, please skip it. I will number the questions and in that way make it easier for reference.

1) There have been many answers to this in the past threads and maybe that is because of changing laws, politicians, etc. Is it a reality that if you purchase property in the DR, and reside in the country for 6 months legally, that you can apply for citizenship? If the answer is yes, what are the requirements (i.e. minimum cost of property, getting temp residence visa, Interpol check, etc)? Please also include information about the new requirement concerning a local or someone with permanent residency vouching for you. Also, does ?property? mean a dwelling or can you buy just a piece of land and then rent a place to stay?

2) Concerning the question above, can a bank account with a certain amount of money be used instead of buying property?

3) If one cannot afford the above, is it less expensive (or better) if you take the long route? This way would require getting a temp residence visa, then after around 6 months, a permanent residence visa, then after that year, one more. It would be then possible to apply for citizenship. Is this correct? If it is correct, what are the requirements? Please also include information about the new requirement concerning two locals vouching for you.

4) What are the requirements to be present during the application process? In other words, what part can be handled without your presence? Obviously the medical check would have to be done in person. :) However, what about other things, such as the police background check and actual submission of ALL the documents. Can one just do the medical and then give power of attorney for the actual attorney helping, to do the rest once you have filled the appropriate paperwork out and had it all notarized?

5) I have found definitive information about the medical check. It is very straight forward and doesn?t seem to take that long. What about the police background check? I think there are 3 agencies that are checked, but please for the record post the information here (i.e. which agencies, how long it takes, can your attorney pick up the paperwork, etc).

6) When applying for citizenship, it is possible to get a legal name change in the DR before application? If so, how long does it take? Are the records sent anywhere else or are they stored in the DR only?

7) Is any nationality allowed to apply for citizenship?

8) Is the original country of the applicant notified in any way that an application for residence or citizenship has been submitted? I understand that the US and Canada allow dual citizenship, however there are many countries that do not.

9) Can foreigners still open bank accounts if even not a permanent resident? If yes, are the accounts interest bearing? If yes to that, is the interest reported to any sources outside the DR (such as IRS, etc)?

10) If a woman marries a man who is a citizen of the DR, can she become a citizen and are the requirements much easier than the normal process?

11) If a man marries a woman who is a citizen of the DR, can he become a citizen, and if not, are the laws being changed any time soon?

12) If a child is born to parents where one is a resident (not a citizen) and the other is not a resident, does the child become a citizen automatically if born in the DR? If so, does it make the process easier for the parents?

13) Is it true that an application that is ?fast tracked? can end up with big problems? If so, what are they?

14) Is there a published list of attorneys that are reputable/reliable etc that provides contact information including email addresses? In yes please post link. If no, please list attorney information.

15) What is the average cost for the process of obtaining residency vs. citizenship?

Well, for now, that is the list, but if you see something that I didn?t address, just make it the next number in list and post it. I am sure that sometime later I will remember more questions that I had, but for now this is a good start.

Just as a note, I have read the information on the legal page and read the archives, but there are things that are not addressed in enough detail. I hope we all get some good use of this and I look forward to being part of this forum.

Thanks everyone!

DRDesire

Apr 27, 2006
Well this thread hasn't gotten the overwhelming response that I had hoped for. What if I say Please? :)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, I have a little time this morning. The reason why this thread is not getting answers, is that it is just too long and too much. Some questions are partially correct, and then shoot themselves in the foot by having another part incorrect. Eg, 15) What is the average cost for the process of obtaining residency vs. citizenship?

To my knowledge one has to first obtain residency before you can proceed with a citizenship application - this is not one vs the other... It is the one following the other.

Also, what may have been correct at the time that I or others did the process, would not necesarily be correct now. So, again, these questions can be answered only within a specific time period.

Question number 6 bothers me. I don't know who would find this necessary and people who do this, perhaps have reasons that they'll not discuss on a public notice board. In terms of DR red tape, you may end up a non-person or perhaps two people ;) Best to discuss this with a lawyer.

Also, question number 3 confuses me. I don't think there is a 'long' route and a 'short' route. *Under the current procedure, you come here, you get a residency visa, then you apply for a temporary residence. After approximately one year, when the temporary residence expires, you apply for a permanent residence. Then, after two years you renew this. The only difference between residency and citizenship (excepting passports), is that a resident is not allowed to vote. That is the only difference. After receiving your permanent residency, you can start a citizenship application. There may be a time period here which I do not know about.

*There is a pending change of the residency / citizenship process that President Fernandez started in 2004 or thereabouts. Perhaps some of your questions mix information from the current and the proposed system.

Question 4 - If I remember correctly, for temporary residence, you have to be present one or two occasions, for the medical and then for collecting the documentation. But this is from memory. Then for the permanent residence, you again have to do a medical and be present for collecting the documentation, new photos etc.

Question 9 - Yes, foreigners can open bank accounts. There is much information on the board as to banks, how, what and where on the forums. You can open savings accounts, checking accounts, buy certificates of deposit and generally do many types of transactions. It is not necessarily an 'interest bearing' account. There are investment houses where interest earned is not reported to your home country. Banks may tell you that interest earned is not reported anywhere but I've never believed them. ;)

Questions 10, 11, 12 - In terms of DR citizens marrying foreigners, there is clear guidance on the forum by Fabio Guzman. Search for it. In terms of children born while in the DR, there is clear guidance on the forum by Fabio Guzman. Again, search a little more to answer these questions.

On the questions of background checks, and the agencies that are informed and checked, I really do not know who and what and why.

Regarding fast-tracking applications - This can happen quite legitimately if you invest a wack of money in say a high profile free zone business. For the rest of us, it is better to go through the process legitimately. It really is not worth speculating about the problems that can occur, as a book can be written about it .. You may find yourself without legal documentation at a point where you really need it, and have to start the process over again.

So, if it is your intention to find out for yourself what the deal is, I would suggest that you rework the questions a little. If it is your intention to write a faq about residency and immigration issues, the best up to date source is here http://www.drlawyer.com/txt/articlesimm.html and
http://www.drlawyer.com/txt/articles/advantages.html

Many people do the process themselves, but you need to be quite fluent in Spanish to do this without it becoming a nightmare. Many others use reputable attorneys and the process becomes quite painless.

And an afterthough, these attorneys are reputable, although I believe a little high in terms of price for this work. http://drlawyer.com/

Last edited:

DRDesire

Apr 27, 2006
Chris,

Thanks for the response. :) Yes, when I hit question 15 I thought that would be enough for now. It was also pretty late at night when I was writing them and had been really reading a lot. Of course, I do think I was a bit confused from some other forums on different countries of that area of the world.

lol Concerning question 6, I added it because there are a few places that allow this in the region and really I was just curious if it is possible. Besides, I've always liked the name "Enrique". :)

Concerning question 3, I was actually referring to the information that states that if you buy property, that you can apply for citizenship after only 6 months. I was curious if this is still valid and if there is a minimum that the property should cost. Here is what was in the legal section that prompted my question: "Having resided continually in the country for at least six months and having formed a business or purchased real estate." From what I read, it seems that if a person applies for residency and remains in the country for 6 months (legally), that a person could then apply for citizenship.

I am still curious as to whether the country you are from is notified that you have applied for residency or citizenship. If so, there are many places this would cause a problem for the person. I hope someone here will know that answer. I have read online and search the forums and have yielded no results.

Chris, Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will try to not ask as many questions in one post. :)

If anyone else here reads this, please don't feel like you have to answer them all. Just put what number you are referring to and answer away! Thanks everyone!

DRDesire

Apr 27, 2006
Add question # 16

Last night while having dinner and drinks with some close friends, we were discussing the DR and a few other places. I have a real desire to visit and have read so much concerning this place. I seem to talk about it all the time (I need a vacation). It is beautiful, inexpensive, etc.

In our conversations, another question was posed me and I was stumped. After reading the archives, I can find no definitive answers. So here goes:

16) If a person is from the US or Canada and is allowed to come to the DR using just a birth certificate and driver's license, can that person apply for residency with just these documents? (in the case a person doesn't have a passport) If so, does this ring true for permanent residency and/or citizenship applications?

iluvdr

Aug 24, 2004
Can someone apply for a name change before obtaining his citizenship?

I have been asked that question by a friend, who's evil wife has him paying
$5K/month alomony , while she is stays home an takes care of a pimp who is 15 years younger then her!
How easy is it in the DR to get a name change? How long does the whole process take?

boogieman

Mar 30, 2006
in the u.s, right before getting your citizenship, the INS interviews you and during that interview you DO get a chance to change your name.