Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Concerning the Observations from the Frontier, US Troops,

http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=12946

kFrancisco de Cabral,
I know you said in the last thread that you were closing out your participation but I was wondering if you should be able to break away from the marlins to comment on this latest version. I found the article very interesting and was wondering if we would or should expect a comment from our outback reporter.

Rick

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Rick,

We past the Pres on our way back from the Capital to Barahona late Saturday afternoon. We had run over to pick up some " first timers " who were visiting for one day just to see if our Airport could accomodate thier 310.

We got into Barahona around 6pm and took my friends to the FULL Coasta Larimar Hotel, nice to have a corporate room. There the DISCUSSION was about the Pres blocking off the Malecon on a Saturday afternoon not only stopping traffic but slowing down the early Saturday afternoon festivites along the Malecon. The Saturday Night Barahona Malecon Party is something not to be trifiled with.

At 8pm we were all at the Brisa Resaurant, our best, which was also crowded and a place known to accept " invader $$$ " from both Brass and Grunts alike. Saw a few folks I knew, stopped by, asked about the weather, etc.
NO Discussion about anything as reported.

Now Barahona is a city of over 70,000 and a " group of agitators from the hinderlands of our fine Republica Dominicana might have sneaked into town " as noted in the article and not been noticed by the population at large.

But come on, WOUNDED !!!! This implys " shots fired ". Would have heard about that..... Eighteen ( 18 ) WOUNDED !!! Would definitely heard about that....

Will have to check out the Barahona " anti-imperialist committee " would love to go to a meeting. However, I suspect the same three drunk miners who got the write up a couple of months ago when they led a group of friends down to the Bases gates. As I said, our pre Saturday Night parties can be good in themselves along the Malecon.

Will check all this out in more depth for everyone tomorrow. Seeing this is said to be a " police " action and within that group there are many friends should be able to get some good insight.

kFrancisco de Cabral

Am quite busy closing down business for a two month walkabout I take out of country every year about this time. No time to carry this thread another 11 pages on this subject which has already be hashed out by all.

Will check it out and report.

kF

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Thank you sir for your gallant bravery in the hopes of getting the true word out to the nervous and worried humble masses.

I as one who trembles at the thought of being invaded by a foreign regime feel safer knowing that that which has been printed is but a rumor instigated by those that wish to make my life a torment. Once again a heartfelt thank you and look forward for your next report from the front lines.

Rick

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Rick Snyder said:
Thank you sir for your gallant bravery in the hopes of getting the true word out to the nervous and worried humble masses.

I as one who trembles at the thought of being invaded by a foreign regime feel safer knowing that that which has been printed is but a rumor instigated by those that wish to make my life a torment. Once again a heartfelt thank you and look forward for your next report from the front lines.

Rick

Mr KFrancisco is not exactly your fairest of witnesses to events. As a US citizen and ex US Armed Forces veteran (LCI brigade (Landing Craft Infantry...), Mr KFrancis has shown his 'Ugly American' best with his quip, "a group of agitators from the hinderlands of our fine Republica Dominicana might have sneaked into town..." Today's LISTIN DIARIO indicates that the police shot without provocation at the protesting crowd. Among the 17 injured are 2 journalists, 1 medical doctor, university professors, students....

-

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
As we know that the Dominican press is so accurate and never has a tendency to stray from the facts we can rest assured that the local police went on a shooting rampage, orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I will wait for word from a reliable source on the front lines thank you.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Rick Snyder said:
As we know that the Dominican press is so accurate and never has a tendency to stray from the facts we can rest assured that the local police went on a shooting rampage, orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I will wait for word from a reliable source on the front lines thank you.

Here's a preliminary list of casualties, according to another 'unreliable' source (HOY DIGITAL), while we wait confirmation from expat or US military 'official' sources from the front lines...

Valent?n Cuevas, Pedro Federico Ram?rez, Lic. Jos? Ariel F?liz, Licda. Ironelis de los Santos, Oscar Medina, Dr. Leonidas Rosa Cuevas, Ing. Oscar Moreta, (professor, Centro Universitario Regional del Suroeste (CURSO) and former president of CODIA southwestern chapter), Alfredo L?pez F?liz, Anny Flori?n, journalists Frank Pineda y Obispo Figuereo of Radio Enriquillo, Benjam?n and Eliezer Batista Matos, professor Miriam P?rez, Yadel Suberv?, Jos? Padilla, Luis F?liz and Francisco Javier Medina.

HOY DIGITAL

-

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Mirador, por que !

Article of reference states:

" The march organized by the city's anti-imperialist committee ( Note no local names ) began when delegations ( implied other city's anti-imperialist committees ) from Santo Domingo, San Francisco de Macoris, Santiago, Nagua, Azua, Ocoa San Juan of the Maguana and others arrived "

Now I was asked my opinion and comments of the article, Mirador, and the above to me is a group of agitators from the hinderlands. Call them what you may, protestor, ok... but admit up to the fact that they CAME HERE to cause whatever happened....

Now I am not going to comment on your misrepresentaion of my military career. My father is the VETERN OF 33 YEARS, I am the son who is a MILITARY TRAINED individual. A big difference but thanks for the honor, my father was a little ****ed when I got kicked out of one college for my thoughts on US Military actions of the time. But then, after being gone for most of my first 17 years I though everyone was on the 6 year college plan.

A brief aside on the US stab... Yea I got a US passport, was born in California and lived in the US for 18 days after I was born. Returned for college.

Ugly American, Define: I do count 5 continents, 14 countries as lived or worked in over my 60 years. Of all those I chose the Republica Dominicana in which to die.

Mirador, I sometimes wonder if you have every left this country and upon what you base your thoughts of world opinion. I do however, enjoy your more thought out and informative comments.

On Reporting...I have worked for The Wall Street Journal, The Dallas Times Herald, Southern Living Magazine and have been a consultant to the media / publishing industry. Know a little about the subject....

And may I ask just where you come off bad mouthing the group of individuals who make up the LCI Group ( " Landing Craft Infantry " ) Our sole purpose is to create " jobs " in an area forgotten by you all until someone needs some PRESS. Be that politicos announcing another non-existant hotel to be built or outsiders from within.

As I mentioned in the beginning, I was not in town yesterday. Had visitors today. Have more tomorrow but will check out the above article's accuracy while I am in Barahona.

kF

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
kfrancis said:
Article of reference states:

" The march organized by the city's anti-imperialist committee ( Note no local names ) began when delegations ( implied other city's anti-imperialist committees ) from Santo Domingo, San Francisco de Macoris, Santiago, Nagua, Azua, Ocoa San Juan of the Maguana and others arrived "

Now I was asked my opinion and comments of the article, Mirador, and the above to me is a group of agitators from the hinderlands. Call them what you may, protestor, ok... but admit up to the fact that they CAME HERE to cause whatever happened....

Now I am not going to comment on your misrepresentaion of my military career. My father is the VETERN OF 33 YEARS, I am the son who is a MILITARY TRAINED individual. A big difference but thanks for the honor, my father was a little ****ed when I got kicked out of one college for my thoughts on US Military actions of the time. But then, after being gone for most of my first 17 years I though everyone was on the 6 year college plan.

A brief aside on the US stab... Yea I got a US passport, was born in California and lived in the US for 18 days after I was born. Returned for college.

Ugly American, Define: I do count 5 continents, 14 countries as lived or worked in over my 60 years. Of all those I chose the Republica Dominicana in which to die.

Mirador, I sometimes wonder if you have every left this country and upon what you base your thoughts of world opinion. I do however, enjoy your more thought out and informative comments.

On Reporting...I have worked for The Wall Street Journal, The Dallas Times Herald, Southern Living Magazine and have been a consultant to the media / publishing industry. Know a little about the subject....

And may I ask just where you come off bad mouthing the group of individuals who make up the LCI Group ( " Landing Craft Infantry " ) Our sole purpose is to create " jobs " in an area forgotten by you all until someone needs some PRESS. Be that politicos announcing another non-existant hotel to be built or outsiders from within.

As I mentioned in the beginning, I was not in town yesterday. Had visitors today. Have more tomorrow but will check out the above article's accuracy while I am in Barahona.

kF

Mi querido amigo, no offense intended, ...but you should be aware, from my quoted list of gun shot wounded, that most are from the region, including the professors, both journalists from the local radio Enriquillo, the engineer from the local chapter of CODIA, the woman doctor,... These people were in a peaceful protest for a bona fide cause, which I share wholeheartedly, especially in the commemorative month of April of the US Military Intervention of 1965, which saw 20,000 Dominicans (between civilians and military) and over 2000 US troops dead.... If there is a "group of agitators from the hinderlands", as you state, it is the US troops with battle gear in Barahona...

-

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Gracias mi amigo,

Let me see what I can find out from this end and let you know, OK.

Just as I was able to confirm and then noted in the prior thread that your suspicions that the US " invaders " were in the hills across the bay playing with their communication toys.

Now, if I may, let me take one last little jab at you for the:

" US troops with battle gear in Barahona..."

Battle Gear, which I WILL NOT DENY they probably have stashed somewhere, has NEVER BEEN evident with this " invasion ". The logistical "ground support", by this I mean personel like DRIVERS AND VECHILES, look just like any Dominican military unit on the road. Why did you think they selected NATIONAL GUARD UNITS from Puerto Rico to be in charge of TRANSPORTATION.

Might it not be that they sort of " blend in, speak the language " DO NOT AGITATE just by their presence.

When this is all over and their Mission complete, I hope to put some type of $$ value on this occupation for our area. It will be hard for I have seen the " invaders " spreading around alot of $$ both $RD and $ US throughout the area.

Examples, a group of 4 in a mini-hummie in La Cienaga buying Larimar Jewelry from a local vendor. Or the before mentioned Pizza Shop owner ( earlier thread ) whohas also agreed to share some his sales figures for the period before, during and after the " occupation ".

Got to go, as mentioned I have folks visiting the area with some economic development $$ and need to see if some of it can find its way here.

Back at ya all later,

kFrancisco de Cabral

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Quick update:

1: There WAS a protest on Saturday, and it was of a fair size ( ?? )

2: It WAS halted by Dominican Police, whether there were high ranking officers envolved, not verified as of this report.

3: Of the 17 names listed in the report provided by Mirador, nine ( 9 ) are verified to be from this area ( known personally by my ex. asst., Victor ) and are being contacted for THEIR " first hand " take on the incident.

Note: Victor will approach and ask the following question of those that we can contact.

" I was in the Capital on Saturday and understand that you were wounded in a police shooting. What happened ???

4: One ( 1 ) of the journalist, Sr. Obispo Figuereo, from a local radio station was contacted earlier today and here are his comments:

a: " he was not wounded or knows of anyone wounded by bullets "

b: " there were gun shots ", but something refered to as PERDIGOWES was
the projectile. My take is something non lethal, ie like rubber bullets.
But perhpas someone familar with the term can verify.

c: " there was some type of gas projectile sent into the crowd "

d: " it was entirely a Police Action ", no military of any type seen.

e: " considers the actions of the Police to be an overt over reaction to
having the President in town at the same time "

Will track down a few more of those envolved and get their input to pass along.

kFrancisco de Cabral

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
kfrancis said:
Quick update:

1: There WAS a protest on Saturday, and it was of a fair size ( ?? )

2: It WAS halted by Dominican Police, whether there were high ranking officers envolved, not verified as of this report.

3: Of the 17 names listed in the report provided by Mirador, nine ( 9 ) are verified to be from this area ( known personally by my ex. asst., Victor ) and are being contacted for THEIR " first hand " take on the incident.

Note: Victor will approach and ask the following question of those that we can contact.

" I was in the Capital on Saturday and understand that you were wounded in a police shooting. What happened ???

4: One ( 1 ) of the journalist, Sr. Obispo Figuereo, from a local radio station was contacted earlier today and here are his comments:

a: " he was not wounded or knows of anyone wounded by bullets "

b: " there were gun shots ", but something refered to as PERDIGOWES was
the projectile. My take is something non lethal, ie like rubber bullets.
But perhpas someone familar with the term can verify.

c: " there was some type of gas projectile sent into the crowd "

d: " it was entirely a Police Action ", no military of any type seen.

e: " considers the actions of the Police to be an overt over reaction to
having the President in town at the same time "

Will track down a few more of those envolved and get their input to pass along.

kFrancisco de Cabral

Excellent!, Mr kFC, congratulations!... that was good reporting indeed. From now on, I will always check with you after reading the local mainstream media regarding the US military invasion of Barahona ;-)... I read somewhere that you did a stint, or two?, as a professional journalist, is it true? ...have you also worked for The Company?... ;-). By the way, I just stumbled upon, in the net, that your 'Observations From The Frontier' have a very wide audience...

Check this out...

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/74618

-

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
especially in the commemorative month of April of the US Military Intervention of 1965, which saw 20,000 Dominicans (between civilians and military) and over 2000 US troops dead.... If there is a "group of agitators from the hinderlands", as you state, it is the US troops with battle gear in Barahona...

I am sorry but that is a terrible exageration! Come on Mirador, don't let the Party Line drag you into such exagerations.....

For Shame!

HB

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
joel pacheco said:
Does anyone know what the true figures of dead and wounded are in the 65' civil war and invasion?

Joel, from what source do you want the figures, from historical revisionists or deniers?

-

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was looking into it for the blog entry I made the other day.

from the Wikipedia entry:
Although there is some dispute about the actual numbers, by the end of the attempted revolution and invasion, more than 3,000 Dominicans and 24 American servicemen had lost their lives.

It's difficult to assess which figures are reliable. For example, depending on who you speak to, the number of people killed/disappeared during Balaguer's 12 years (1966-1978) can vary from 0 to 300 to 3,000.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Chirimoya said:
It's difficult to assess which figures are reliable. For example, depending on who you speak to, the number of people killed/disappeared during Balaguer's 12 years (1966-1978) can vary from 0 to 300 to 3,000.

So it's possible that Balaguer's rule could have been as detrimental to the DR as the American police action/invasion/military vacation/"insert your conspiracy here" in the DR?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Seeing as one followed on from the other, it was detrimental/advantageous depending on who you speak to. ;)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2003
The number of dead from the 65' civil war/invasion has been extremely difficult for me to pin down as well.

The books I've read vary wildly on the stats. The internet site numbers, well, forget about it.

I didn't think that the number of murders committed by Balaguer's killers was that much in dispute.

Status
Not open for further replies.