An American Returns to the DR/Silvio Concert

Millner

Nov 16, 2005
Came down to Santo Domingo for the weekend (first time since 1999) to see the Silvio show at the National Theater on Saturday. A few thoughts on the show and being in the DR again:

CHANGES
Lots of new overpasses, tunnel and roads. But still, traffic was horrendous, with the same clouds of exhaust I came to know and love in the 90s. The airport, though, has gotten much better -- no aggressive "maleteros," and very organized. Greeted with the traditional rum and coke - nice!

THE HOTEL
I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard on Maximo Gomez. Everything -- the rooms, the service, the food -- was excellent, but the pool was tiny. Went over to the Jaragua pool and paid for a day pass. People at the Marriott semed to be of a higher level than those at the Jaragua.

THE PRESIDENTE
Still among the best things on Earth. Don't approve of Presidente "Light." Best Presidente of the trip: one in a paper bag outside the red colmado near the hotel.

THE PEOPLE
Still warm, friendly and hospitable. Spent two afternoons with my ex in-laws, who welcomed us with open arms, and one with a friend and his wife and kids. We ate "la bandera," drank cold beer, listened to Silvio & Pablo and talked for hours on his patio. Heaven.

THE RESTAURANTS
Was not that impressed with Il Cappuccino, despite the high prices. Much preferred Adrian's, where we ate delicious Mofongo while looking out on the Caribbean.

THE COLONIAL ZONE
Seemed the same to me. Smoking cigars and drinking Presidente outside El Museo del Jamon was the highlight.

THE BOOK FAIR
It was in full swing. Then a raindrop fell. Everyone ran for cover as if a bomb just went off. I had to explain to my friend about Dominicanas and their hair ...

THE CONCERT
Jorge Taveras, Sonia Silvestre and Jose Antonio Rodriguez opened the show. Then ... Silvio appeared. He was with a great band: two fellow acoustic guitarists, an acoustic bassist, a flautist (his wife) and a percussionist. Silvio himself looks like a pudgy, bald little gnome, but his voice was as good as ever, and the songs, of course, were magical. The show got bogged down a bit in the middle with lots of new stuff that the crowd obviously wasn't crazy about hearing, but then he started banging out classic after classic: Unicornio, Te Doy Una Cancion, Ojala, Cancion del Elegido and lots more. The entire audience was loudly singing the lyrics ... a heartwarming scene. He introduced a verse about Trujillo into "Cita con Angeles," and spoke a lot about his love for the DR. Then, two and a half hours later, it was over, and we walked out into the night feeling as if we had experienced something truly special. This man's music touches the heart like no other, and even at the age of 59 he can still bring tears to your eyes with one chord.

All in all, it was wonderful to be back in the DR. I can?t wait to return.

Millner

Nov 16, 2005
Yes - I believe he'll be 60 in November. Interestingly, the president invited Silvio to his house:

"Dom President Welcomes Cuban Song Star

Santo Domingo, Apr 27 (Prensa Latina) Dominican President Leonel Fernandez received on Thursday Cuban singer-songwriter Silvio Rodriguez, who is visiting the country after a 14-year absence.

The meeting, attended by Cuban Ambassador Omar Cordova, Silvio?s wife, and representative of Hierbabuena productions Roberto Cabada, took place at the National Palace in the dignitary?s office.

"The poet of song” will perform at the National Theater on Saturday and Sunday and in Santiago on May 2.

Important press media headlined Wednesday the friendly interchange of the artist with nearly 500 young Dominican intellectuals at Borgella Palace in the capital?s colonial zone.

Silvio Rodriguez expressed his hope to return this year and share with the Dominican people beyond the capital stages.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm so jealous - we were slow off the mark and the tickets sold out before we could get anywhere near the box office. I hope he really does return. Apparently he said he was thinking of doing some free concerts 'for the people' which is great, because the ticket prices for this show were not exactly accessible for the people (RD$1,500 and 2,500).

El_cubano

Dec 1, 2005
Never liked him, never wasted the time to see him while living in Cuba.

But did see Orishas last friday here in Miami, those guys are great! and it was only $20:cheeky:

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Yeah, from what I gather here, it's quite expensive to see Silvito sing. I guess he's got an elite following. Oh well.

I know you had fun with those Orishas, cubano.