Going To The DR, Can I Borrow Your Gold Chain?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
The other day, a new member, lalla, was surprised when someone mentioned that MANY Dominicans living in the US, when they visit their relatives, the borrow items from friends and relatives in order to make believe, in the DR, that they are better off than what they truly are. "Comemierdas", if you will.

lalla, bless her heart, was surprised and found so funny something that is done regularly. I have told about this "problem/situations" a few times, on this site.

Maybe she is one of the very few Dominicans that have not heard of such a thing.

Well, I have a few stories that even thought they could be funny to many people, they are not funny at all. It's not funny because many Dominicans in the DR are lead to believe that in the US, all you need to do is land and all of a sudden, you are an instant millionaire. There are horor stories that came from some moron showing off with "borrowed" items.

Do you have any stories about such individuals and what they have borrowed?.

I have a few and I will keep some of you guys amuzed after I get back from an appointment.

Btw, it's not an spefic gender "problem", both sexes do it!.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sure, happens all the time, especially with young Dominicans. I know some who take turns visiting their friends and family in the DR, and when it is your turn, you wear the gold jewelry of all of them. They make quite a stir when they flash all that gold and probably stimulates some to take the next yola to Puerto Rico so that they, too, can get to the promised land.

Makes no difference that many of these guys are just getting by in the US on what they earn. When they are here, they get to play the role of a rich tycoon.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Miguel convince me why this belongs in mars/venus and not in living ( sorry Christa) or in the debate forum, " are gold wearing dominicans really rich"

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
miguel said:
The other day, a new member, lalla, was surprised when someone mentioned that MANY Dominicans living in the US, when they visit their relatives, the borrow items from friends and relatives in order to make believe, in the DR, that they are better off than what they truly are. "Comemierdas", if you will.

lalla, bless her heart, was surprised and found so funny something that is done regularly. I have told about this "problem/situations" a few times, on this site.

Maybe she is one of the very few Dominicans that have not heard of such a thing.

Well, I have a few stories that even thought they could be funny to many people, they are not funny at all. It's not funny because many Dominicans in the DR are lead to believe that in the US, all you need to do is land and all of a sudden, you are an instant millionaire. There are horor stories that came from some moron showing off with "borrowed" items.

Do you have any stories about such individuals and what they have borrowed?.

I have a few and I will keep some of you guys amuzed after I get back from an appointment.

Btw, it's not an spefic gender "problem", both sexes do it!.

OK so I spoke about this topic with some friends over the weekend, and dirty secrets started to emerge.....all of a sudden everyone KNEW SOMEONE that did that, or someone that knew someone that does it......(habladores)......

There is a certain aunt in the family that wears every single chain, bracelent and ring she owns when she goes out there. Has a nice house in DR. But lives in the projects in NY. INTERESTING......

Really, its funny in a pathetic way. Why would you go over there knowing people are starved for more, whether its money, food, clothes, and flaunt something like that just to intensify their desperation at "escaping" to a better life....thats when they jump on the YOLA's. They have no idea what damage that causes unsuspecting people.

I remember as a little girl, coming here, I was in the airport and remember as if it were yesterday that this happened, but I am standing with my aunt and sister (my parents were already here so an Aunt was sent to bring us over) and the consulate or whoever that man was, asked a little boy in front of us, "why do you want to go to the united states" and his answer was "because i hear that you can scoop up money from the floor".......... mind you, that was 25years ago....... sad

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
The Streets Are Paved w/ Gold!!!

I didn't know this went on; however, this has to be more like an immigrant thing than it is specifically a Dominican thing.

-Helpmann :)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I wonder how many borrowed gold chains wind up in compra/ventas leading to awkward vainas later on. ;)

mariagalarza

May 1, 2006
My cousin, God bless his dumb heart, went down to the dominican republic and told everybody he owns a Lambergini (sp?) and that he was an engineer here. Mind you, he never even stepped one foot in a collge and the only car he could afford was a friggin matchbox. How pathetic is that? LOL I'm embarrassed to say he's my cousin LOL

El Diego

Apr 24, 2006
Ricardo900 said:
I know a maintenance worker who rents a BMW X-5 when he visits Santiago. $200 a-day!!

wow, that's really smart money saving right there.. 200/day.
people just pretending what they are not. i'm happy to say i'm humble person
who sometimes rents a car when visiting DR.. but my rental is only ~$30/day.
I laugh when i see people showing off their chains inside planes, or being loud in conversations, or telling false stories to people in dr about life & things of the US.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Here goes one!

Example numero 1:

When I was younger, I knew a few Dominican families but they had lived in the US for a few years already and they adapted to the American way of life.

My first experience with a true Dominican family (fresh out of DR), came back in the early 80's when I met my first Dominican girlfriend. From this family I learned so much, bad and good.

One of the bad things was as follows:

One of her brothers used to go to the DR rather frequently since he had a girlfriend over there.

I never gave it another thought why this guy was ALWAYS asking to borrow my camera. Eventually, he graduated to other things but let's stay with the camera.

One day, he called while he was in the DR and asked me if it was possible for him to GIVE my camera to a cousin of his, that he would pay me back later. Can you believe his BALL?. A big NOOOO was my answer with a few " don't you dare". His sister explained what happened:

He told his cousin that the camera was his, that he had paid 200 dollars for it (I only paid about 50 dollars for it back then). I guess that he needed to be seen like a rich man and offered my camera to his cousin.

Me, not knowing what was going on, asked her "why di dhe do that". Her reply was "nah, you would not understand". I did not think about it twice.

That was my first experience with a prick that wanted to make believe that he was someone that he was not!.

Example 2 later, same guy!.

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
There is no way this is a strictly Dominican thing.

Hell, I dress up to visit my friends and family and try to paint the picture alot prettier than it is.

If you tell people you moved to another country and things are just going "regular" (or even bad as the case may be) then that's pretty much admitting to being a loser, and nobody wants to do that.

I never borrowed any jewelery, but I don't normally wear any.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Mr. Mike is right; we all at times have done or said something to make us look better than might otherwise have been the case.

Probably the status of at least a few posters on this board is elevated when they talk with girls in the singles bars.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
If you say so!!

Chris said:
All that this teaches me Miguel, is never to believe a Dominican York ;)
Not believe a Dominican York, what are you talking about?. I'ts a "Dominican thing", as in Dominicans (SOME) all around the US.

For all you you saying that it's not just a Dominican thing, any person with a pea brain knows that this happens just about everywhere in the world, but since this is a DR site, I thought that I may make it about the DR.

Anyways, this is nothing new.

The camera borrower graduated to borrowing my watch (once). All of a sudden, he "lost" it in the DR. He did paid me for it after about 2 months but I was later told that he had given it to his g/f's father.

When I kept on seeing him borrowing clothing and jewerly from his relatives and friends, I asked his older brother what in hell was happening.

After he told me what was going on, I lost all respect for that prick and our "fights/arguments" about the subject were legendary.

In some sick way, be never understood when I used to tell him that in many ways, he was at fault for so many people getting into a yola and losing their lives looking for riches that were not awaiting them in the US.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Indeed!

MrMike said:
Hell, I dress up to visit my friends and family and try to paint the picture alot prettier than it is.

If you tell people you moved to another country and things are just going "regular" (or even bad as the case may be) then that's pretty much admitting to being a loser, and nobody wants to do that.

I never borrowed any jewelery, but I don't normally wear any.
I do, also, try to dress up to visit friends, but I do it without having to borrow any clothes.

I understand exactly what you are saying but MOST of those people do not just stop there. The lies "just keep coming". For example:

The pictures showing them next to a nice parked car what does not belong to them.

The pictures showing them in front of a beautiful house.

The pictures showing them standing next to a big screen tv.

And, for the love of God, the pictures showing them playing in the snow. Oh, those pictures never stop amazing me!.

Not only that they lie when they are over there, they also lie to them over the phone. They lie about where they actually live, they lie about how much money they make, they lie about their jobs descriptions, they lie about how much money they have in the bank, they lie about the properties that they "own".

See, it does not stops there. The lies just keep on "coming and coming".

Ps: you are right Ken, some members status are elevated. I should know. I used to say that I lived in PA when in fact I live in Alaska, I am not a computer analyst, rather a lawyer, I am not a man, rather a gay female, which makes me like females anyways. LOL.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Interesting thread and interesting examples. Pretty sad really...

miguel said:
And, for the love of God, the pictures showing them playing in the snow. Oh, those pictures never stop amazing me!.
What's wrong with posing in snow, did they borrow the snow?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
No!

qgrande said:
Interesting thread and interesting examples. Pretty sad really...

What's wrong with posing in snow, did they borrow the snow?
Actually, nothing wrong with the snow, I just tried to put a little humor into it.

Yes, pretty sad. But the sadder part is that there are many that are still lending these morons their items knowing full well that all they are going to do is put false ideas into other people's heads. Sad.

Once, I was visiting the DR and I went to my old neighborhood. I was told that "Jose", a guy that lived in the old neighborhood and had relocated to the US about 2 years earlier, had just left after visiting the DR for about 2 weeks.

Well, just about everybody was "salivating" about this guy. His tales of riches were out of this world. The cars, the homes, all the money in the bank, the rich neigborhood were he lived, the 3,000 dollars that he was making a week, the swimming pool, the this and the that...

Since I was still in contact with "Joses'" sister (she moved to the US 3 years before "Jose"), I was well aware of his riches.

I just said to them: "I wonder is that is the same "Jose" that his sister tells me that lives in a basement with about 5 people, the same guy that can not hold a factory job, the same guy that owns no car, the same guy who has a drug problem, the same guy who's getting public assistance from the goverment and the same lazy guy that all he does is drink while hanging out with his friends "holding" a corner in Grand Concourse in the Bronx. I wonder if it's the same guy". Oh boy, the surprise on their faces.

Last edited: