hospital for foreigners

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
hi
in other countries there are top quality hospitals available for foreigners as opposed to the run of the mill health facility ect.
Is there a top quality hospital ANYWHERE IN THE dr????? NO SMART ASSED ANSWERS PLEASE! Just some info' like if im in an accident is there a top quality facility anywhere in the country that offers you treatment in a manner you need and expect????????

thanx

Tashi

Mar 31, 2006
Good question!! I'd like to know the answer to this one too please.

Debbie

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I found excellent hospitals in all major cities and tourist areas.
BTW, they are for Dominicans, too!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hospiten cater specifically for foreigners. They have hospitals in Punta Cana and the capital. But as mido said, many of the Dominican private health clinics provide excellent care. See also the newly opened AAA Health Center in Santo Domingo.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Dominican upper classes rely on places like Clinica Abreu in Santo Domingo (and others); Corominas, Uni?n M?dica and Centro M?dico Cibao in Santiago and Cl?nica Bournigal in Puerto Plata. Usually, everyone has their favorites.

Most of those that can afford it have medical insurance.

Check and make sure your medical insurance covers you while you are here.

HB :D:D

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Another tip for you who only vist the DR:

You will be looking for a "Clinica", which is a privately-run hospital.

A "Hospital" in the DR is a public hospital, catering to the DR poor, with minimal equipment, poorly-paid staff, and open wards, rather than private rooms.

If you have an emergency, DON'T tell them to take you to the nearest "hospital" if you want to survive. Just go to a "Clinica" and whip out your Visa, and everything will be fine.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I recommend Clinica Abreu in Santo Domingo. Both my wife and I have spent time there and were well satisfied.

More important than knowing which hospital to go to is to know which doctors you want taking care of you. Before you need hospitalization, you should be identifying doctors and become their patient.

We now live in Sosua, but go to Santo Domingo for all but the minor medical stuff. All of our annul exams are done by our doctors there. The result is that if we have a medical emergency we know we have a doctor who knows us waiting for us when we get to Clinica Abreu, whether we arrive in an ambulance, taxi, or helicopter.

Had we started life in the DR in the Sosua/Puerto Plata, we would probably be going to Santiago instead of SD. But we would be doing the same thing there that we are in Santo Domingo.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Bournigal in Puerto Plata did a good job treating my father after his stroke. I would say on par with some US Hospitals about 10-25 yrs ago in terms of technology but very clean and professionally run.

After the initial crisis period of the first few days we flew him to Miami to double check everything and it was all diagnosed and treated correctly.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
I can also reccommend Bournigal in Puerto Plata after having spent some time there last year. All of the doctors I dealt with spoke good english, even in their A&E unit which eased my fears about what was going on at first. The nurses however couldn't speak any english (well not those who dealt with me) so that was a little challenging at times!

I was extremely impressed by the way they handled my insurance claim - very efficient and all follow up visits and medication were handled in a similar manner.

The private room I was given was clean and comfortable with cable tv, bathroom etc and I was asked whether I would like a friend or relative to stay with me overnight.....if so they would bring in another bed. Despite me not taking them up on their offer for they were insistant on feeding any guests who were visiting me around meal times!! They received the same 3 course meals as I did :classic:

Yes the surroundings may be a little dated and it's by no means a direct match for what you would get in the UK or in the US however a very professionally run establishment.

mrmagic

Nov 25, 2003
could people NAME the relevant CLINICAS/TOP HOSPITALS IN CABARETE AREA/ SOSUA AND STREET ADDRESS PLEASE....IF ANY ????????? GREAT RESPONSES GUYS...REALLY INFORMATIVE?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
mrmagic said:
could people NAME the relevant CLINICAS/TOP HOSPITALS IN CABARETE AREA/ SOSUA AND STREET ADDRESS PLEASE....IF ANY ????????? GREAT RESPONSES GUYS...REALLY INFORMATIVE?

For a moment, your question confused me .. Its simple, there are none. That is why people have not named any. Cabarete has a good medical practice and in Sosua, I'm sure there are some good medical practicioners and one good dentist that I know about. But there are no clinics/hospitals in Cabarete/Sosua.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mrmagic, Sosua and Cabarete are small resort towns. As people are explaining, if you live here and need a hospital you go to Puerto Plata, Santiago, and Santo Domingo. Generally speaking, the best hospitals in Santiago and Santo Domingo have better doctors than Puerto Plata.

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
Chris said:
For a moment, your question confused me .. Its simple, there are none. That is why people have not named any. Cabarete has a good medical practice and in Sosua, I'm sure there are some good medical practicioners and one good dentist that I know about. But there are no clinics/hospitals in Cabarete/Sosua.

it shouldn't have confused you as i did infact write in english....maybe you become confused easily....anyways! (just another useless response). To be honest if you become confused with a question like this i really dont care!If thats the case dont bother answering and leave it the others that were more than helpful. the only mistake i made was not being specific enough in the original post! My mistake! Again thank you to the others that responded

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
billyidol, Chris's reply was to mrmagic, about Sosua/Cabarete, not to your OP.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
billyidol said:
it shouldn't have confused you as i did infact write in english....maybe you become confused easily....anyways! (just another useless response). To be honest if you become confused with a question like this i really dont care!If thats the case dont bother answering and leave it the others that were more than helpful. the only mistake i made was not being specific enough in the original post! My mistake! Again thank you to the others that responded

Be nice now - I was not talking to you. :laugh::laugh:

More seriously, I think you received the information that you asked for in a good and complete way. In terms of MrMagic's post, note he asked for street addresses and for a moment there I found myself thinking about street addresses. And then realised that there are none (yes, gullible I know).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
billyidol said:

You must have other issues bothering you. Chris' statement was certainly nothing to cause you to get your dander up. Talk about making mountains out of mole hills...........