Divorce - what can we do?

Chica_linda

Apr 6, 2004
Hi,

My Dominican boyfriend who lives in the Dominican Republic is married with someone from the United states (she lives in the US). They live seperated.

Now my boyfriend what to divorce his wife but she won't come to the Dominican Republic. What can we do to arrange the divorce? Can we go to a lawyer and can he send the papers to her?

Chica Linda

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
!) Get a lawyer for her.
2) Get a divorce.
3) Get a hammer
4) Hit yourself on the head so you wake up!!

:ermm:

HB :(

Chica_linda

Apr 6, 2004
Nice reply. I'm not stupid and knows how everything is going on with dominican men and women.

So I just want advice about my question and not advice what I have to do wiht a "sankie".

Chica Linda

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nice reply. I'm not stupid and knows how everything is going on with dominican men and women.

Chica Linda

I'm not stupid and knows how everything, sorry, that is an oxymoron.

Your friend needs to get a lawyer, that is all.

HB :D:D

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I don't think this woman is a sock puppet, or at least it's someone that really wants to know the answer to this question; she has posted the same question on a Dutch language DR forum today, or I suppose it's her. The difference in the kind of responses on both forums is amazing (I'm not complaining, just an interesting difference in 'atmosphere' :ermm: ).
And Hillbilly, I think it's proper to refrain from making comments about the English language usage of people on international forums before you know whether someone's first language is English or not, right?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
You Pay For It

Chica_linda said:
...Now my boyfriend what to divorce his wife but she won't come to the Dominican Republic.

That's not necessary, as Dominican law allows a "one sided" divorce.
Your novio simply has to consult a lawyer and pay...

m'frog

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Regardless of anyones desire to defend the OP it was the use of "( "sankie".)" in her second post that put everything in prospective in my opinion and therefore I believe HB was correct in his posting.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
qgrande said:
And Hillbilly, I think it's proper to refrain from making comments about the English language usage of people on international forums before you know whether someone's first language is English or not, right?
Wrong. Commenting on the OPs use of an oxymoron was not a comment on her ability to express herself in the English language.
FYI an oxymoron is:
A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
HOWMAR said:
Wrong. Commenting on the OPs use of an oxymoron was not a comment on her ability to express herself in the English language.
FYI an oxymoron is:
:tired:
I know what an oxymoron is, thank you very much. Could you please point out what the oxymoron was if it was not related to the error in the spelling of 'knows' ? Yes?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
qgrande said:
:tired:
I know what an oxymoron is, thank you very much. Could you please point out what the oxymoron was if it was not related to the error in the spelling of 'knows' ? Yes?
Wrong again. The oxyoron was stated by a person who say that they Know everything and are not stupid. Only a stupid person knows everything. That is the oxymoron. Spelling had nothing to do with it. Now do you want to discuss the word "moron"?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Rick Snyder said:
Regardless of anyones desire to defend the OP it was the use of "( "sankie".)" in her second post that put everything in prospective in my opinion and therefore I believe HB was correct in his posting.
Rick I disagree, this is the Legal Forum. The OP asked a legal question, she didn't ask for advice or comments on her relationship. Wisecrack answers or "sock puppet" accusations serve no purpose in this forum.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Whoa there folks!
I knew full well tht the OP's original language was not English, and I would never make fun of the usage of the language.

What I was poking fun at was the fact that the OP was talking about
1) her Boyfriend in the DR.
2) Who was divorcing his US wife (Now why oh why would he do that? You wonder if she couldn't get him his visa??)
3) And the BF doesn't know how to do this?( A divorce) In the DR? I wonder who will PAY for the divorce???
4) So you see why I just had to poke some fun at the OP. This is an absurd scenario, something we see here all the time, where the OP "just knows THIS GUY is the one" etcetcetc....
The oxymoron here was that she presumed to know "everything about her DR boyfriend>"Yeah right@

Anyway, please know for all time I do not poke fun at poster's use of the English language, unless they really really deserve it. (Like you know, like I want to impress like upon a youngster like how not to , you know, like how to write?) :p:p:p:p And NEVER, ever, on people whose first language is not English. That ain't fair. Not unless I can fool with them in their own language! And I can only do that in Spanish.

And, I did tell the OP to GET A LAWYER!! Divorce in the DR is like rice and beans...

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Hillbilly said:
Whoa there folks!
I knew full well tht the OP's original language was not English, and I would never make fun of the usage of the language.

What I was poking fun at was the fact that the OP was talking about
1) her Boyfriend in the DR.
2) Who was divorcing his US wife (Now why oh why would he do that? You wonder if she couldn't get him his visa??)
3) And the BF doesn't know how to do this?( A divorce) In the DR? I wonder who will PAY for the divorce???
4) So you see why I just had to poke some fun at the OP. This is an absurd scenario, something we see here all the time, where the OP "just knows THIS GUY is the one" etcetcetc....
The oxymoron here was that she presumed to know "everything about her DR boyfriend>"Yeah right@

Anyway, please know for all time I do not poke fun at poster's use of the English language, unless they really really deserve it. (Like you know, like I want to impress like upon a youngster like how not to , you know, like how to write?) :p:p:p:p And NEVER, ever, on people whose first language is not English. That ain't fair. Not unless I can fool with them in their own language! And I can only do that in Spanish.

And, I did tell the OP to GET A LAWYER!! Divorce in the DR is like rice and beans...

OK, apologies to Hillbilly for jumping to conclusions a tad too fast (please make fun of my English a couple of times to retaliate :)).
Not for the comments on the difference in atmosphere and sockpuppets though.

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
qgrande said:
OK, apologies to Hillbilly for jumping to conclusions a tad too fast (please make fun of my English a couple of times to retaliate :)).
Not for the comments on the difference in atmosphere and sockpuppets though.

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44509&highlight=divorce

The Quick Divorce is out of the question for this case: It is only open for foreigners or Dominicans which are legal residents abroad (which he's not). They only have this two options open:

1) standard mutual consent divorce.

Requirements: a) both spouses in agreement, b) married for at least two years, c) Dominican courts must have jurisdiction (one of the spouses resides here).

2) divorce for cause: for example, on grounds of incompatibility.

Requirements: a) Dominican courts must have jurisdiction (one of the spouses resides here), b) witnesses must be presented in court to prove incompatibility, c) plaintiff (spouse suing for divorce) usually required to appear in court.

Chica_linda

Apr 6, 2004
Alfredo Guzman said:
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44509&highlight=divorce

The Quick Divorce is out of the question for this case: It is only open for foreigners or Dominicans which are legal residents abroad (which he's not). They only have this two options open:

1) standard mutual consent divorce.

Requirements: a) both spouses in agreement, b) married for at least two years, c) Dominican courts must have jurisdiction (one of the spouses resides here).

2) divorce for cause: for example, on grounds of incompatibility.

Requirements: a) Dominican courts must have jurisdiction (one of the spouses resides here), b) witnesses must be presented in court to prove incompatibility, c) plaintiff (spouse suing for divorce) usually required to appear in court.

But is it necessary that his wife comes to the Dominican Republic in case 1? Or can we go to a lawyer and send her the papers?

I go in 2 weeks back to the Dominican so I will be prepared so we can try to arrange everything.

Thanks for your serious advice!

Chica Linda