bussiness startup

rich17

May 1, 2006
hi im planning on moving from new york to santo domingo. i have some savings i like to use to start a small bussiness. i need some ideas of what type of bussiness would be a good idea. any suggestions??

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
rich17 said:
hi im planning on moving from new york to santo domingo. i have some savings i like to use to start a small bussiness. i need some ideas of what type of bussiness would be a good idea. any suggestions??
Welcome to DR1 and it's Business.

What are you good at?
Have you ever been to the DR?
Do you speak spanish?
Have you ever owned a Business?
Why Santo Domingo?

You should search the forums and come back with more specific questions.

Ricardo

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I have a great idea--

rich17 said:

I have been thinking for quite some time of biz idea but just have not had the time to execute it. My idea is too start an agency that would provide the service of investment ideas to newbies to the country or ex pats.
Think about it--not a week goes by on this forum that someone is not asking for an idea as to how to leave the rat race and spend their time in Paradise and still make some money. Oh, I know, not a lot of money just enough to keep them in the sun and suck on a few Presidentes.
So with that in mind I think I could probably run that biz right from my home computer and make a godzillion $$$$ in fees for advise.
What do think??
At least this is original and that doesnt need a lot of capital....... JOHN

P.S. after reading my own posting--I hope nobody is taking me serious-it was done with my little tongue in cheeck.

rich17

May 1, 2006
ok, let me put it this way ,i married a daughter of a senator in DR. whos very connected and has offered for us to move to DR. hes willing to finance what ever bussiness venture we like. i imagine the two things i like to do would be to run a carwash or club/lounge. considering that they seem like simple bussiness to run, any feedback would be appreciated.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Ahhh, that makes it a LOT more clear, you want a cushy number living off the coat-tails of your wife's father?? A sort of Sanky in reverse??

If this is not so (& it WAS said in humour) Richardo's questions still stand excluding the reason for 'Why Santo Domingo?' Come to think of it, those four apply EVEN IF you are coming to live off Papi-in-law!!

Just a thought as we have just had elections down here, DOES PAPI still have a job in the Senate?? What area does he represent & (if you care to share it) what is his name? ~ Grahame.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Here's one

rich17 said:
ok, let me put it this way ,i married a daughter of a senator in DR. whos very connected and has offered for us to move to DR. hes willing to finance what ever bussiness venture we like. i imagine the two things i like to do would be to run a carwash or club/lounge. considering that they seem like simple bussiness to run, any feedback would be appreciated.
They are building a huge hotel (Courtyard Marriot) on autopista duarte in Santiago, its on the outskirts close to the airport. How about a business that caters to the clientele that would frequent this hotel??

rich17

May 1, 2006
very funny bushbaby.. not a sankie. anyway, i am from DR ,have family and friends there ,and would love to live in DR, love my country. her pops only helping in the starup ,theres a responsibility on our part to make it work. he's with the PLD,so hes good,cant tell u who. though. i figure a carwash with bring a decent salary every month ,im just a little concerned about the safety. where as a lounge or club in a good part would offer a better apportunity but more risk. and no i have no experience. but its not like ill be running a resort.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
rich17 said:
i like to do would be to run a carwash or club/lounge. considering that they seem like simple bussiness to run,
Hmm, 7 days/week, long hours, huge staff handling cash and product, low profit-margin. Sounds simple to me.

rich17

May 1, 2006
Ricardo900 said:
They are building a huge hotel (Courtyard Marriot) on autopista duarte in Santiago, its on the outskirts close to the airport. How about a business that caters to the clientele that would frequent this hotel??

sounds good but i prefer santo domingo, we'll be living there. i imagine the hotel would have its own nice discotec.

rich17

May 1, 2006
HOWMAR said:
Hmm, 7 days/week, long hours, huge staff handling cash and product, low profit-margin. Sounds simple to me.

theres always a risk. but one must try. from what i read , staff salary is pretty cheap. and one thing dominicans like is to drink, dance ,and party. can't imagine not making money. is not like ill be leasing the place. and if not so simple. would you care to tell me what you would do if you had the opportunity?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Lemme understand this, you have access to financing, no experience doing anything and no ideas, but you think someone is going to just give you an idea to make money on an internet board!

Borrow as much as you can and loan the money out at 25%, just take title to whatever is being financed as collateral.

Better than making 10 Pesos a beer @ a Car Wash/Putaria.

rich17

May 1, 2006
Tamborista said:
Lemme understand this, you have access to financing, no experience doing anything and no ideas, but you think someone is going to just give you an idea to make money on an internet board!

Borrow as much as you can and loan the money out at 25%, just take title to whatever is being financed as collateral.

Better than making 10 Pesos a beer @ a Car Wash/Putaria.

thanks tamborista. something to consider

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
remember no business is easy and if your dealing with the public, it can be a pain in the asss, with little or no return.
Do you speaki spanish?