Shooting last night in Sosua

On Vacation!
Feb 18, 2005
I heard there was a gringo lady involved in a shotting last night in Sosua. Anyone know the deatails of what happened or is this just a false story. Are the streets having morew violent crime or is it getting better.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
One of the things we don't lack for here is rumors.

If word didn't get to Rocky in his listening post, it didn't happen.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Tamborista said:
Ken :

I did hear a few rounds going off in C-6 last night!
I hear gun shots (during the night) a couple of time a month but no body count. Too bad.

On Vacation!
Feb 18, 2005
The Shooting did happen

Well after getting some comments from the board members here. I went and ask around. I spoke to some people at my local hangout in Sosua and it was confirmed by them and also Sosua police.
There was a shotting and a lady is in in hospital with a gun shot wound. Details are are not to clear but there where 2 men and 1 women involved and the shooter is Dominican. I am not sure why some poster made statements like if we did not hear about it it did not happen. Are these people trying to some how say that i made the information up or discredit me or do the regular poster here feel that they are so much better then the rest of us and nothing could happen in there sleepy little paradice town with out there knowledge or approval. I am sorry but this did happen. And know i can see that DR1 is not pluged into daily life here as much as they try and pretend to be.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
680680 said:
I am not sure why some poster made statements like if we did not hear about it it did not happen.
It's highly uncommon for a gringo or gringa to get shot in Sosua, without us hearing about it.

680680 said:
Are these people trying to some how say that i made the information up or discredit me
Nothing like that.
As it is so uncommon for a gringo/a to get shot in Sosua without us hearing about it, the info could have been a "false story", as you suggested, and it's the story I was doubtful about, not you.
680680 said:
or do the regular poster here feel that they are so much better then the rest of us
That's certainly not the case with me.
Most people who have that attitude, don't last too long on DR1, or get lambasted for being that way.
680680 said:
and nothing could happen in there sleepy little paradice town with out there knowledge or approval.
Nobody needs my approval, but it is a small town, and we have lots of employees here, who spend more time gossiping than actually working, so stuff like that usually comes out.
680680 said:
I am sorry but this did happen.
Did you find out if it was a Gringa?
680680 said:
And know i can see that DR1 is not pluged into daily life here as much as they try and pretend to be.
You can hardly blame or fault DR1 and all it's members, if I was mistaken about something.
I have no problem accepting and admitting when I'm wrong.
It's not an uncommon thing, with me.
Happens to me frequently.
I try my best, but my sun baked brain ain't what it used to be.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
More info

I guess my employees missed filling me in.
It would seem (this is 3rd hand info) that a Russian couple who are here buying land, were in a bar, and the hubby was drunk and boisterous.
A Dominican fired a shot in the air to warn him off, and he continued, so the Dominican shot in his general direction and hit the wife.
Now I repeat, this is 3rd hand info and in no way can be considered to be accurate, but that is the story as it is told to me.

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
I guess I will stay away from the bars when I go- These posts lately really scare me . It is a small place to have so much violence lately(ps-please dont tear me apart, I am not naive,would never touch a sanky and have traveled throug out latin america.
I am more concerned this time because I will travel with my 8 year old daughter

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
sbsuib said:
I guess I will stay away from the bars when I go- These posts lately really scare me . It is a small place to have so much violence lately(ps-please dont tear me apart, I am not naive,would never touch a sanky and have traveled throug out latin america.
I am more concerned this time because I will travel with my 8 year old daughter
From what I understand, the bar in question, is not a bar you might frequent.
Other than Dominican bars in Dominican neighbourhoods, this type of thing is unheard of around here.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Rocky said:
From what I understand, the bar in question, is not a bar you might frequent.
Other than Dominican bars in Dominican neighbourhoods, this type of thing is unheard of around here.

The shooting happened outside a bar located close to Zoilo, Pedro Clisante, main road in Sosua. Not to scare people, but there were three incidents the same day 5 days ago. Daytime (noon!) robbery on Pedro Clisante twice, and one guy got stabbed twice in the evening outside Brittania by a motoconcho. hmmmm

A couple of weeks ago another motoconio snapped my phone in Sosua, 4.30 pm. First loss I had in 5 years...

ramonsol

May 3, 2006
DR Mpe said:
The shooting happened outside a bar located close to Zoilo, Pedro Clisante, main road in Sosua. Not to scare people, but there were three incidents the same day 5 days ago.

I live at Zolios Appartments.
Its right the shooting was on Monday night between Zoilo and
Club Residencial on Pedro Clisante.
I woke up because of the Shots.
But of the other incidents i ve not heard nothing

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
680680 said:
I am not sure why some poster made statements like if we did not hear about it it did not happen. Are these people trying to some how say that i made the information up or discredit me or do the regular poster here feel that they are so much better then the rest of us and nothing could happen in there sleepy little paradice town with out there knowledge or approval. I am sorry but this did happen. And know i can see that DR1 is not pluged into daily life here as much as they try and pretend to be.
What they were trying to tell you is that in Sosua people talk alot.

News regarding anything runs through the town very quickly and apparently, this time no rumors reached the expat community.

Nothing ever happens until it has been proven, facts of life.

On a different note, the question should not be whether people think you made the story up or not, but rather why are there so many DR1 members becoming investigators lately? ;)

-NALs

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
NALs said:
On a different note, the question should not be whether people think you made the story up or not, but rather why are there so many DR1 becoming investigators lately? ;)

-NALs
Because you can't believe everthing you read, or picture you see.;)

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Rocky said:
That's certainly not the case with me.
Most people who have that attitude, don't last too long on DR1, or get lambasted for being that way.

Wrong again Rocky, I've been on this board for awhile and I KNOW I'm better than everybody else.

Don't know what I'm better at yet, but I'll figure it out.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
MrMike said:
Wrong again Rocky, I've been on this board for awhile and I KNOW I'm better than everybody else.

Don't know what I'm better at yet, but I'll figure it out.

You're better than everyone else on this Board at making me laugh.

sbsuib

Apr 13, 2006
shooting

I have not been there. Is that a tourist area?
The shooting happened outside a bar located close to Zoilo, Pedro Clisante, main road in Sosua. Not to scare people, but there were three incidents the same day 5 days ago.

I live at Zolios Appartments.
Its right the shooting was on Monday night between Zoilo and
Club Residencial on Pedro Clisante.
I woke up because of the Shots.
But of the other incidents i ve not heard nothing[/QUOTE]