Buying a Computer

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
Does anyone know a good place to buy a computer in santo domingo? My wife has been looking and the best she came up with was Plaza IIama--- RD$23,000. I'm skeptical as I've read about their warranty work. Any reccomendations appreciated!! She does'nt need anything fast; its basically for preparing papers and work type stuff.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
NO dont do that. There are stores where you can get better deals and surer ones. Plaza Lama is a no no. You can also build your own PC to spec and get away with a sweet deal. I cannot remember the name of the main place to get parts and computers for good prices, but I will ask my friend for you. 23,000 is not a bad price of course, but I just wouldnt buy from that store.

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
Computers in SD

I bought 12 computers from IGM in Santo Domingo, Have had no problems and they will build them the way you want.

IGM
Nicolas Urena de Mendoza
Santo Domingo
567-6237 fax: 565-2648

project9

May 29, 2004
IGM (as the others said) is your best choice, the only "problem", if you can call it that way, is that you buy the pieces there but you'll have to put it together yourself.

Oh, and don't buy ANYTHING from Plaza Lama i've had bad experiences with all sorts of products bought from them.

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
boca chica dave said:
Does anyone know a good place to buy a computer in santo domingo? My wife has been looking and the best she came up with was Plaza IIama--- RD$23,000. I'm skeptical as I've read about their warranty work. Any reccomendations appreciated!! She does'nt need anything fast; its basically for preparing papers and work type stuff.

You can also check in CECOMSA, they have international brands like Dell or HP. It is located on R?mulo Betancourt Ave. 331. Tel (809) 532-7026, Santo Domingo

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have only owned one pre-made PC in my life and I have changed the:
Ram
DVD drive
HD
Video Card
Sound card
Lan card
Power supply
Tossed all included peripherals in favor of my own

Plus formatted the pre-isntalled OS and installed again from scratch to reduce bloat.

Best computer I've ever owned, but hardly any thanks to Compaq by now, most of the original computer is gathering dust in the closet.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I agree with Mr.Mike. I build my own PC. The most recent one was built from parts I got from various other scraped pcs and Motherboard and a chip gifted by ROB (DR1) and things bought from Mr.mike's store.
Here is what I did: I called rob to see if he had anything laying around in his office to sell. He was nice enough to give me a new AMD motherboard and a 2600 + amd chip. He mentioned he was having over heating problems with the setup and couldn't afford to have a machine like this running at his place of work. I took in the mother board and the chip. To my surprise, the mother board has a 5.1 audio with seperate channels for front speakers, rear speakers and mid and sub woofer outputs and then a digital audio as well. Perfect for my home theater set up. Then I went to Mr.mike and he sold me a very good 128MB video dual head card for excellent price. Then I got me a 512MB ram stick from cecomsa and a PC case with modified power supply to work with my inverter without UPS. I already had a windows xp pro CD and a 80 gb 7200 RPM ide hard drive. I also had a DVD rewriter from usa and a TV / video capture card. I put it all together and now this thing runs my home movie theater and audio setup. I installed the windows xp only and cut out all the garbage that I didn't need. I use my pc to copy and play DVDs, play music on my stereo, drive my video projector and to make phone calls to USA via VOIPSTUNT.COM and watch TV. My Pc does everything except take out garbage. This PC works flawlessly good and fits my needs.
AZB

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Well I brought my ruler too, so let's just see...

The first upgrade I did to my pc was to and special professional grade sound card that has 10 outputs and 10 inputs with onboard hardware preamps.

I use this for semi-professional audio recordings that are mostly used as IVR prompts on telephone systems, but I also use the card to entertain myself with my 4 guitars , 2 harmonicas and a banjo.

I added two 160GB hard disks shortly before 300GB hard disks came on the market , so I added two 300GB hard disks later via external USB2 boxes.

These mainly hold my ginourmous downloaded movie collection along with over 10,000 MP3's and a few libraries worth of E-books.

I became frustrated with the speed some of my audio recording programs were loading so I went ahead and tossed the 512MB stick and added two 1GB sticks of ram.

While I was in the serious overkill mood I also threw in a video card I had in my store that nobody could look at the price tag without choking so it was gathering dust (on the outside of the box).

I put it in my machine and it made the water ripples in half-life 2 so realistic they make you thirsty.

The two 19" LCD monitors running off of the dual digital connectors on the video card both look great, and my see-through mouse with flashy lights inside is easy to find at night.

I am teaching my PC to diaper babies now and when it figures that out we are going to work on a cure for cancer. (we had AIDS figured out last week but I forgot to save the file and the power went out)

FarOut

Jul 26, 2004
There is also a German guy...

working in Santo Domingo who bulid anything to your specs.

A Friend of my bought a Office Computer for around 12.000 (just the PC) .
You get all the Original Bills & Garantie and he installs any Software you like.

PM me for more information if you wont or contact him at computerservice@justmail.de. He speaks English as well.

CU
FarOut

art27207

Mar 18, 2006
Help With Computer Purchase

I will be in the capital next month and want to buy a family a computer. I noticed dell has a dominican website. Should I order one from them and have it sent to their house (Import fees duties etc) or do I have a chance at getting a deal in SD. I only want a desktop nothing super fancy..Any help thanks!!!

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I will recommend Globaltec in Santo Domingo. They are a small shop, but really good prices, good service, and they sell computers that they have built. They normally have several diiferent set-ups at a good price as a package, with warranty. They also will sell just components if that's what you want.

They are close to the UASD. If you come down Ave. Maximo Gomez from 27 de Febrero in Santo Domingo, go one block below the McDonald's restaurant, turn right at the next street (above the National Supermarket,) and go two blocks west. They are on the far right-hand corner of that intersection. (this is the cruz of calles Ramon Santana y Elvira de Mendoza.)

I think, but am not sure their Tele: 809- 687-3653 or 689-2387

In May, they had this machine for RD$12,900: CPU Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, 256 de memoria DDR400, Disco duro 80 Gb 7200 rpm, Quemadora de CD 52x, Video 16 exp 64 MB, 6 puertos USB Multimedia, Modem 56 BPS, Teclado and mouse, Juego de bocina (monitor no incluido).