Import Health Requirements For Dogs and Cats

ken kopas

Jun 22, 2003
We are in the process of meeting the requirements for bringing two cats to the DR and were surprised that we had a little more to do than we thought, here are the requirements;
The animals must be accompanied by a health certificate issued and signed by a licensed vet and endorsed by USDA. Additional information shall include:
1. The animal/s was/were examined within 30 days prior to departure and found to be free of any infectious diseases, and treated for external and internal parasites.
2. The animal/s was/were vaccinated against rabies. The vaccine must be given no greater than 12 months and no sooner than 30 days prior to departure. (the rabies certificate, which should include date of vaccinnation, product name and serial number, must accompany the health certificate).
I hope this info will be helpfull, I know the "bringing pets in" question comes up often. Los gatos will be arriving on May8 and I will report on how they did.
Ken

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
dogs and cats are no problem, they didn't even look at the papers for mine however they confiscated Larry (the Bird) and this was 4 yrs ago way before avian flu. I had to charter a friggen plane from POP to Santo Domingo cause they had no quarantine here and they were gonna destroy him, told me right in front of my girlfriend who gave the bird to me as a present...she started crying....what was I supposed to do? Bastages wouldn't take a couple thousand pesos either, cause birds they take serious I suppose. Had to charter the friggen plane for hundreds of dollars, then pay for 3 weeks quarantine and an inspector to take the bus and bring him back to POP, plus bird food, storage, etc etc. In the meantime Lukas the Rottie didnt even have his vaccine papers looked at. All you need a health certificate from a vet and/or 500 pesos, and you have nothing to worry about....unless you bring a friggen bird.

LeoTra

Apr 28, 2006
Traveling in the country with a Monkey

Hey all...

Glad to hear that dogs and cats are okay. We lived through a "bird" nightmare ourselves that even went a step further for ridiculousness - We were traveling from Arroyo Barril to Las Americas on a private charter to pick up a piece of equipment and fly right back as soon as it was loaded. We had to actually enter the airport in order to go over to the cargo area where they had it so as we are walking through the terminal some stewardesses from American Airlines saw our adorable "daughter" with her Pamper on and little pink dress sitting on my shoulder drinking her bottle and just had to take a look at her as we are on our way out of the door - at this time someone in uniform comes over and says very sweetly "awww I want to see - AND IN MID SENTENCE CHANGES INTO A JEFFREY DAHMER TYPE PSYCHO TONE AND SCREAMS- the Animal's import paperwork!!!!!!!!!!!!!" well we explained that she was not being imported from anywhere that she was born here in Santo Domingo and was registered with wildlife and every other agency that needs to register the birth of an exotic animal. We explained that she could verify everything that we were saying just by checking that we just came in on a private plane from another airport and had no luggage etc. So she gets really nasty and makes us go with her and starts making phone calls to a supervisor in Santo Domingo who she says to "They SAY that they just came in on a charter from Samana but I don't believe them." So we are like well then "BEYATCH" -not really but we wanted to- why don't you just go check and see if there is a plane out there that just brought us here? and she said that was not her job - animal control was her job. So going around and around in circles she tells us that it is Friday afternoon and there is no one anywhere that she can check out our story with so she will have to keep the "animal" until Tuesday Monday being a holiday when she could verify our story. We got hysterical and my wife even fainted hearing that they were going to take her "baby" There were over 10 witnesses with the customs department who told here that our baby was famous and they all knew her and that it was true that she was born here etc etc and she just did not care. So to top it all off they had no actual quarantine area so she actually ripped the monkey from around my wife's neck where she was now hovering in fright and actually threw her in a drawer in a metal file cabinet and slammed it shut. The poor child started screaming and crying hysterically and so the stank heffer starts complaining because the monkey is screaming so my wife just flips out and screams at them all if you don't even have a decent facility then why are you holding her just let her out and she'll be quiet! So needless to say they held her until Tuesday when they verified our story yet I had to send my wife back to Samana alone with the equipment and stay trying to get her out and traveling from entity to entity to get copies of the paperwork then I had to rent a car to return to Samana with our daughter on Tuesday afternoon. Needless to say - be very careful traveling with your monkey - even if she does wear a Pamper and a pink dress and drink a bottle. We only travel by car now.