Is there a slow time in DR for tourism?

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
Is there a slow time of year in the Dominican Republic for tourism? I am wondering if many people travel there in the summer and fall months when hurricane season is an issue and the weather is so nice in other parts of the world?

brit

Jun 28, 2005
May and September are the dead months. In the summer time, we have 70% occupancy in the hotel where I work. On the North coast, in Cabarete.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The highest season is Christmas to Easter.
Summer months bring a lot of Europeans, so it's fairly busy then, and there can be a lull sometime in between the two, but usually isn't for more than a couple of weeks.
There is little concern about hurricanes, as we are not likely to get hit, here on the North coast.(Haven't seen one in 15 years)

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
September is actually still busy with the Brits..the slowest months are November and December before Christmas, also May is slow...and October..

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Cabarete is somewhat of an anomaly - occupancy level there is heavily dependent on wind conditions, ..

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
aegap said:
Cabarete is somewhat of an anomaly - occupancy level there is heavily dependent on wind conditions, ..
That's a fact.
Cabarete can be dead when Sosua is booming, and vice versa.

Dwight

Oct 2, 2004
Seems busy to me..

I was trying to fly into Puerto Plata from Toronto and stay at a particular resort near Cabarete May 26'th or 27'th...but can't. There was availability yesterday afternoon, but when I went to the travel agent first thing this morning to pay......you guessed it.....sold out.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Rocky said:
There is little concern about hurricanes, as we are not likely to get hit, here on the North coast.(Haven't seen one in 15 years)
I was in Sosua/Cabrete/Playa Grande in 1988 when Hurricane Gilbert was whipping things up in the south. Besides some wind and clouds, all it did in the north was clear the beaches of tourists. My friend and I literally had all of Playa Grande to ourselves...