The Water

Cocoaness

Apr 17, 2006
I am sure the water is not safe to drink. I don't even drink the water in US let alone outside the country! lol

What about when bathing? I remember during my college dorm days taking showers in hard water that left my skin so itchy I needed a prescription from the school infirmiry. (I wasn't the only one)

So, should I prepare to bring something to combat skin irritaion? I'm staying in Boca Chica, at the Hamaca Coral. Thank you.

Last edited:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
If you are coming for holidays than I would not worry about skin irritation. Of course do not drink the water from the tap, the water and ice served in the hotel is purified so no worries here. If you were staying for an extended period or moving to the DR than it would be a different story (using water to cook, skin parasites from water etc.) but you are not, so come down and enjoy the DR!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Water on South Shore is generally sort of salty. You certainly will be drinking bottled water. Buy it at a local store! Ten pesos a little bottle!

Here in the Cibao Valley, the water at La Vega Santiago, San Jos? de las Matas, Monci?n, Mao --is pretty good. I have been drinking it for forty years!..the beer companies send tankers up here to get water for the breweries...:p:p

Bottled water is safe. So be safe for your stay.

HB :D:D

Cocoaness

Apr 17, 2006
Cool beans...
I didn't take into consideration the fact that I was using the college water for 3 yrs (until I moved off campus my senior yr) so the prolonged usage is probably what caused the irritation. Never had a problem since...

And it's still puzzling to me to hear people say "don't drink the water" . Who still drinks tap water? Unless you are boiling it for cooking purposes...to literally drink tap water...yuck!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In many countries (like the UK) it's fine to drink tap water, but the bottled water companies have done an excellent job of brainwashing consumers to the contrary. Then Coca Cola had a massive PR disaster when it was discovered that Dasani had more toxins than tap water. I remember Perrier going through something similar in the 1980s, but despite this sales of bottled water have skyrocketed.

In the DR though, it is necessary to drink bottled water no matter what.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I do!
Cocoaness said:
And it's still puzzling to me to hear people say "don't drink the water" . Who still drinks tap water? Unless you are boiling it for cooking purposes...to literally drink tap water...yuck!

This attitude is a reflection of pop culture and an indication of how successful the bottled water companies have been in promoting their product throughout the "first world". The fact is there is absolutely no health advantage to bottled water, and depending on the source, probably little difference in taste. This has been demonstrated in many scientific double blind tests. Much of the bottled water sold in the US is taken straight from the tap of certain municipalities who have some of the better tasting water, then passed through a token additional filter to justify the cost difference.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
sweetdbt said:
I do!

This attitude is a reflection of pop culture and an indication of how successful the bottled water companies have been in promoting their product throughout the "first world". The fact is there is absolutely no health advantage to bottled water, and depending on the source, probably little difference in taste. This has been demonstrated in many scientific double blind tests. Much of the bottled water sold in the US is taken straight from the tap of certain municipalities who have some of the better tasting water, then passed through a token additional filter to justify the cost difference.
And in fact, drinking bottled water may have a negative effect as it is not flouridated like most tap water in the US. Flouridation of the water was the biggest advance in preventing dental disease.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
When I'm in Canada for holidays I only drink bottled water. For years I could not understand why I would get sick every time I would visit till I switched to bottled water. Never had that problem again. The tap water there smells like an open bottle of bleach!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
HOWMAR said:
And in fact, drinking bottled water may have a negative effect as it is not flouridated like most tap water in the US. Flouridation of the water was the biggest advance in preventing dental disease.

Whatever money you save on Dentist bills will surely be made up on your toilet paper budget.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
You do understand

SKY said:
Whatever money you save on Dentist bills will surely be made up on your toilet paper budget.

we are talking about the tap water in the US/Canada, not the DR. Whether you like the taste or prefer bottled water for other reasons, there is no reason to believe dysentary is a problem from drinking the tap water anywhere in North America.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
sweetdbt said:
we are talking about the tap water in the US/Canada, not the DR. Whether you like the taste or prefer bottled water for other reasons, there is no reason to believe dysentary is a problem from drinking the tap water anywhere in North America.

I guess you never lived in Miami, I did.

G

gary short

juanita said:
When I'm in Canada for holidays I only drink bottled water. For years I could not understand why I would get sick every time I would visit till I switched to bottled water. Never had that problem again. The tap water there smells like an open bottle of bleach!
I'm from Vancouver Canada and the tap water is the cleanest you'll find anywhere as the water is fed from mountain lakes. Canada is one hell of a big place so I find your statement laughable.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
juanita said:

Probably referring to the Walkerton Water problem. My wife and I are from Hanover (8 km from Walkerton) and my wife worked in Walkerton before, during and after this crisis. She was very ill from the water but has been lucky in that she has had no long-term affects (this cannot be said for many Walkerton residents). Did we still drink the tap water after this? Yes we did with no problems. Would we drink the tap water here? No. As Howmar stated many benefits of drinking tap water in NAmerica because of the flouride - an interesting study done in Montreal neighbourhoods where they took the floride out of the water in one neighbourhood. Cavities in kids more than doubled in an 8 year period. Those who only drink bottled water in NAmerica have been suckered by the water companies...tom

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
twhitehead said:
As Howmar stated many benefits of drinking tap water in NAmerica because of the flouride - an interesting study done in Montreal neighbourhoods where they took the floride out of the water in one neighbourhood. Cavities in kids more than doubled in an 8 year period. Those who only drink bottled water in NAmerica have been suckered by the water companies...tom

There are worse things than cavities... Did you know that fluoride lowers the I.Q. of children? (fluoride is a neurotoxic)... did you know that fluoride in drinking water has been associated with an increase in hypothyroidism in the general population?... fluoride has been associated with scores of health problems from headaches to cancer... There are many scientific studies on the ill effects of this drinking water/toothpaste additive...

-

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
gary short said:
I'm from Vancouver Canada and the tap water is the cleanest you'll find anywhere as the water is fed from mountain lakes. Canada is one hell of a big place so I find your statement laughable.

I have been living in the DR for the past 12 years and drinking bottled water for that long, so I guess that my system got used to it and that is why I get sick when I drink the water back in QUEBEC CITY. :paranoid:

Cocoaness

Apr 17, 2006
twhitehead said:
Those who only drink bottled water in NAmerica have been suckered by the water companies...tom

Well I drink bottled water because it tastes better...TO ME...not because of the campaigns.

By the way...thanks to those who actually ANSWERED MY QUESTION! LOL A simple question about taking a bath using water in DR has now turned into a debate for and against drinking tap water in NORTH AMERICA...:disappoin

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Mirador said:
There are worse things than cavities... Did you know that fluoride lowers the I.Q. of children? (fluoride is a neurotoxic)... did you know that fluoride in drinking water has been associated with an increase in hypothyroidism in the general population?... fluoride has been associated with scores of health problems from headaches to cancer... There are many scientific studies on the ill effects of this drinking water/toothpaste additive...

-
Care to refer me to reputable scientific peer-reviewed journals that these studies appeard in?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
HOWMAR said:
Care to refer me to reputable scientific peer-reviewed journals that these studies appeard in?

Reputable source, Howmar? Nah....the wacko General in "Dr. Strangelove" said fluoridation was a conspiracy. Who needs sources more reputable than that?

Scandall

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Scandall said:
Reputable source, Howmar? Nah....the wacko General in "Dr. Strangelove" said fluoridation was a conspiracy. Who needs sources more reputable than that?

Scandall
Oh, right. I thought it might have been one of those reliable journals that publish articles that recommend not vaccinating your kids against polio, diptheria, whooping cough, measles, etc., etc.