Power Of Attorney From Usa

hi-tec

Jun 15, 2004
What are all the steps neccesary for a power of attorney to be legally effective in DR if the person issuing it is located in the USA?.

My specific concerns are

1- if the other person has to sign any document before someone ACCEPTING the right or 'privilege' (otherwise anyone could be made responsible for something stated in a power of attorney she/he does not even know exist)

2- if the document has to be filed with the appropriate authorities or gov office in DR (in other jurisdictions it must be done within 48 hours). In this case I know the document must be 'certified' by the emabassy or consulate in the USA.

3- If the document must be mailed to DR through the consulate channels or it can be done independently my private means usps, ups or fedex

EMTuKnowMe

Nov 15, 2006
any answers?

Anyone have the answers to the OP? I am thinking about leasing space in Santiago and giving someone power of attorney to execute the lease for me. Thank you, in advance.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
1) There is no legal obligation to accept in writing. Carrying out the task implies acceptance.

2) A POA executed abroad must be authenticated at the closest Dominican Consulate.

3) It can be done independently.