Residency Help

Nicola_leo

Sep 22, 2005
Just wondered if anyone could help me out here....
For around 18 months i'd been living in the DR, got my temp residency and them myself and my husband decided to move to england, We've only been here around 8 months and decided its not for us and want to go back to the DR. My temp residency ran out last november, because ive been out the country so long, am I going to have to re-apply for my temp again or can I just re-new it, and get my permanent?! I've still got my old residency card and cedula
thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Normally they don't make a fuss about late renewal of permanent residency and I presume same true in your case. but wait for an informed answer.

nsangoma

Jan 21, 2004
residency question

Enter the DR as a regular tourist - do not present your Dominican documents... this will just confuse things... Once in the country, go to Migracion to begin the process of renewal. Late renewal is common here... You should have no problem.

berqw

Jun 20, 2006
I have an expired Dominican provisional residency. It expired in 2003. Can I still obtain the permanent residency even after such a long delay?

Also, I married in the meantime and changed my last name to my spouse's name, and want the permanent residency in the new name. Will this cause any problems/delays? (Does the Dominican Republic understand/accept the European last name system, seeing that they normally use the Spanish system?)

Are the following all that is required to upgrade the temporary to the permanent residency?

Permanent Residence Form. Filled out. Four copies and the original.

Sworn statement by two adults before a Notary Public bearing witness to knowing the applicant in the country and that his conduct is in compliance with the laws of the country. Three copies and an original.

Guarantor Letter. Legalized by a Notary Public and signed by a solvent person who accepts full responsibility for the applicant while in the country. Three copies and an original.

Certificate of Good Conduct. Issued by the National Police. Three copies and the original.

Provisional Residence Card. Three copies and the original.

Photographs. Four 2” x 2” front photographs. Two 2” x 2” profile photographs.

Medical Test Results. Results of a physical examination, including a general physical, blood test (VDRL), a HIV test and a chest x-ray performed by a medical doctor at the Department of Migration.

Copy of the ID of the Notary Public that acted in the lgalization of the guarantor letter and the sworn statement.

I guess I should also bring my marriage certificate, it is an international version in many languages, is that enough or must it be legalized in my home country?

Thanks!

BTW, the info at http://dr1.com/legal/migration/residences.shtml seems outdated as the Residence Visa is no longer required.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
berqw, you need the advice of an attorney with experience in residency since there has been a long delay and because you have significantly changed your personal situation.

One of the Guzman's, the lawyers who answer questions in this section, should respond next time they check for new questions.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Technically, you should start from scratch. However, I have known cases where the Immigration Departments has renewed, although none this old. The changes in marital status and name also complicate matters.