Best internet option in Sosua?

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Well we've gone and bought a place outside Sosua.

There's cable already hooked up and I'm told that high speed internet is available. Does anyone have the web sites or telephone numbers of high speed internet providers in the Sosua area?

Also, if you have experience with them and have any thoughts please let me know.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Jack

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The Verizon telephone company supplies us with DSL/flash service through the phone lines, and there is a small office here in Sosua, in the Playero Supermarket on the highway, although you may have to go to Puerto Plata for a first time installation.
It's fairly reliable, although not perfect, but quite impressive, considering it's the Caribbean.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Thanks Rocky. So that means we'll need to have a telephone connected to our house to access this Verizon service? I've seen the little kiosk in the Market but thought it was solely for cell phone service.

If we have to have a phone installed do you know whom to contact to have the done? Is it Verizon as well?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yes, you would need a telephone line to get the service, unless your neighbour has WiFi and wants to share it with you.
You have to go yourself to the Verizon office to apply for the service and I'm almost positive you will have to go to POP, but you could try in Sosua first, just in case.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, need a phone line but don't need to have a phone. My neighbor is getting only DSL flash from Verizon and will be billed for just that service.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
When in Rome, do as The Romans!

Buy a wireless router and you just might be able to have a Dominican internet connection for FREE! Now the right thing to do, is to split the cost with your neighbor that is providing you with an open network connection, I won't tell if you don't!