Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Two Security Myths

1. You are protected by iron bars on the windows

Security experts will tell you that bars on ground-floor windows give the illusion of security. The are easily and quickly removed using a variety of implements,including crowbar, car jack, pickax (stick one end of blade between bar and windowsill and pull pack on handle like you do with a hammer when pulling out a nail) and any steel bar that can be used as a lever.

Bars much better protection on upper floors because to get the leverage necessary to pop off the bars will probably result in the thief falling off the ladder.

2. You are safe if your apartment is on the second floor

Robberies committed in second floor apartments by thieves going through the sliding doors from the balcony are common. Thieves like this means of entrance because people living on the second floor think a thief can't get to them, so tend to leave the sliding doors open, whether home or not, for ventilation.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Two+One Security Facts:

1. You are better protected by iron bars on the windows

2. You are safer if your apartment is on the second floor

3. "Bars [are] much better protection on upper floors ...to get the leverage necessary to pop off the bars will probably result in [any potential] thief falling off the ladder."
    Last edited by aegap; 03-14-2006 at 05:11 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A couple of pretty good points

I agree with you, particularly with respect to the issue of bars on windows. It does tend to give the false sense of being secure. Someone mentioned this to me when I was last in POP. However, as I explained to that person, I have no illusions about the bars. I prefer them there only because if my home is going to be robbed, the thief will at least have to work a bit harder to do so, rather than just walking in.

I also had an alarm system installed. And, again, someone said that it was a waste because the system would simply sound off without any response from the neighbors because of my semi-isolated location. I responded that the installation of the system was not so much for the neighbors, but for myself when I am there. If someone breaks into my home while I am there, all I want is a fair and advanced warning. After that, may the best man win.

I agree with a comment that Carina made some time ago on another thread about getting to know the neighbors, and acting as a community would in defense of each other (who would have thought that the contractor who installed my system lived on the street behind me?). That, I think, is the best defense for anyone who might reside there, in addition to having a gun and a vicious dog.

Anyhow, a good point, and food for thought for those who might be persuaded by "the illusion".

Post Thanks / Like

What is the crime rate like in the DR?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackquontee
    I also had an alarm system installed. And, again, someone said that it was a waste because the system would simply sound off without any response from the neighbors because of my semi-isolated location.
    Are there any alarm companies in the DR that provide a service where the alarm goes off in a dispatch office (as well as the home) and they send someone to the premises to check it out?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackquontee

I also had an alarm system installed. And, again, someone said that it was a waste because the system would simply sound off without any response from the neighbors because of my semi-isolated location. I responded that the installation of the system was not so much for the neighbors, but for myself when I am there. If someone breaks into my home while I am there, all I want is a fair and advanced warning. After that, may the best man win.
    Exactly. The best use of an alarm system is to alert you when you are in the house. A few years ago a friend was living in a rented house in a semi isolated area. Every window had bars on it. About 3 am he was awakened by a pair of robbers holding a shotgun against his face. Two adults and 3 children were sleeping in the house and nobody heard the robbers remove the bars or enter the house. The robbers took their time, drank a few beers from the refrigerator, and packed up everything they could find in the suitcases of the people they were robbing. Needless to say, since then wherever they live they have alarms.
    Last edited by Ken; 03-14-2006 at 06:59 PM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

mine is like that but it is dependant on the phone line which I suppose wouldn't be to hard to cut in the event of a well planned break-in.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rellosk
    Are there any alarm companies in the DR that provide a service where the alarm goes off in a dispatch office (as well as the home) and they send someone to the premises to check it out?
    Alerta in Santiago will include in the systems thay install a device that calls their office and they will call the police here. They say they have had good experience with this with the police in Puerto Plata, but none of their Sosua clients have put it to the test, assuming any of them have included this in their package.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    Alerta in Santiago will include in the systems thay install a device that calls their office and they will call the police here. They say they have had good experience with this with the police in Puerto Plata, but none of their Sosua clients have put it to the test, assuming any of them have included this in their package.
    I wouldn't have much confidence in the Police. (I imagine they already are stretched pretty thin in Sosua). I'm surprised that there isn't anyone hooked up with a private security company.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Security bars on windows.

Bars on the outside of windows can be cut, pried or jacked out very quickly. Another disadvantage is that regular outside bars rust rapidly, have to be scraped and re-painted regularly. Galvanized bars are too expensive and are also relatively useless outside.
    The final solution is to have the bars bolted inside the house. These can not be jacked out, are virtually impossible to cut, or otherwise removed from the outside and never rust. They do not interfere with curtains or for removal of fly screens for cleaning. They can be easily removed from the inside, although I have never needed to do this.
    I also designed folding bars inside to secure large sliding glass windows. These become invisible when folded back on each side of the windows. When closed, they are extremely secure and will deter any thieves who would have to break all the glass before attempting to cut the bars. All windows, upstairs and down, (no matter how small) should be barred inside. I have other ideas on security, but this is getting too long. Canadian Bob.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast