Adopcion

Mercy

Feb 18, 2002
Cual es el procedimiento para una pareja dominicana adoptar un ni?o en el pais?
Gracias.
Mercy

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Fabio J. Guzman said:
Here are the requirements for an international adoption in the Dominican Republic (Law #136-03):

1) The adopting parents must be married, having lived together as a couple for at least five years.
2)The adopting parents must be at least thirty years old and no more than sixty years old.
3) Age difference between the adopting parents and the adopted child must be at least fifteen years.
4) The consent of the child's parents, or for orphans, from the appropriate judicial authority, must be obtained.
5) The adopting parents must live with the child in the Dominican Republic for at least sixty days (thirty days if the child is twelve or more).
6) Children twelve years old or more must approve their own adoption.
7) The adopting parents?s biological children who are twelve years old or older must give their opinion on the adoption.

Hope this helps

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
The only difference between international and national adoptions in regards to the adopting parents is that dominican couples may adopt even if they were not married but can prove that they have been living together as a couple for the same amount of time (5 years) and that single dominican adopting mothers may adopt ( only if they reside in the DR).

Also, couples willing to go ahead with an adoption process in the DR should be clear about the point that in the DR adopting parents do not get to directly choose which child they will adopt, instead CONANI ( National Council for Childhood and Adolescency), assigns them one depending on their application and background.

For more information on the process please see:

http://www.drlawyer.com/txt/articlesadop.html

Alfredo Guzman

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Friends of mine from Canada are trying to adopt, and looking at the DR as an option. They have a farm in Canada, and three children in school. Leaving everything behind for sixty days is not an option. Is there any way to get around staying in the country for sixty days to adopt a child? I don't know if this is the norm for international adoptions, but it seems to me that it's a little bit of a deterrent to adopt from the DR.

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
Friends of mine from Canada are trying to adopt, and looking at the DR as an option. They have a farm in Canada, and three children in school. Leaving everything behind for sixty days is not an option. Is there any way to get around staying in the country for sixty days to adopt a child? I don't know if this is the norm for international adoptions, but it seems to me that it's a little bit of a deterrent to adopt from the DR.

According to CONANI, at this moment only one of the parents is required to stay for the full 60 days, but the other one still has to stay for a shorter period.

Alfredo

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I will inform them. Thank you very much, Alfredo. Your time is very much appreciated.