Re: MINING Isn't there a law????

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Re: MINING Isn't there a law????

Can someone help me remember if there is a law in effect regarding the " movement of of mining / aggregate material " during certain hours of the day ?

I have a recollection of a law being written covering this type of operation. It was suppose to limit the hours large trucks could roll through villages on their way from the quarries to wherever ?? IE. ONLY during daylight hours, for example. Also was something about Aggregate companies being responsible for local repairs to the roads but I am not real sure this one got included in the package.

Any assistence along these lines is appreciated.

kFrancisco de Cabral

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Law or no law, these operations are almost invariably run by military officers, and you very well know that military rank + political influence trumps the law in the DR. Notwithstanding, municipal authorities (mayors) have control over this matter in their territorial jurisdiction, and any complaint should be directed first to the Mayor (S?ndico)...

-

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Mi amigo,

I agree and I have those bases covered with the key missing link , Sindica de Cabral, falling into place with the elections next week.

Now I would like to know if there is a " law " out there to back up my plans to limit / enforce / get restitution for repairs and be a pain in the *** to the folks driving the trucks through Cabral and two other villages at all hours of the night.

When I advised the Government ( CORDE ) some 10 years ago on Mining matters or sometime since I seem to remember a law along these lines.

kF

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Not there !!!

Read all 48 pages of the Mining Law twice. Nothing about what folks can and cannot do with the stuff after they get it out of the ground. Must have been somewhere else I saw the law.

But thanks anyway Alfredo.

kF

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
kfrancis said:
Read all 48 pages of the Mining Law twice. Nothing about what folks can and cannot do with the stuff after they get it out of the ground. Must have been somewhere else I saw the law.

But thanks anyway Alfredo.

kF

kFC, Is your concern related to the heavily loaded trucks wrecking the country roads on their way out of the mines? or do you have other issues, say export regulations?

-

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Mi amigo Mirador,

A little of both but right now the overly loaded trucks wrecking the roads and speeding down them empty rushing back to get another load. They are knocking off a horse or cow about every week and will get a school kid one of these days. CeMex and the yeso trucks are the biggest abusers.

The problem has been aggrevated recently with the construction of the new aquaduct to Barahona which went down the road through Cabral. This left the road from the SD - Barahona highway only 1 and 1/2 lane wide and you know wins the battle of size on these roads. The towns of La Salinas, Cabral and Cachon have tried to put down some pavement in the villages but it is a losing battle, the aquaduct was finished along this road last year, the road never repaired. Not sure what I can do but am researching the problem for now.

I have seen some prelimenary signs that the road might finally be under some repair. The elections are upon us you know and the potholes were filled this week. But even if the road is repaired back to two lanes the trucks will tear it up without some restraint.

You know, it is the trucks moving at high speed after dark or before sunrise that really get me. Loads of Yeso moving at 10pm shouldn't happen and are a danger to everyone.

kFC

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
New nickel mine discovered in Dominican Republic

TORONTO, ONTARIO.- The Canadian GlobeStar Mining Corporation has announced the new discovery of nickel bearing laterites at Loma Mala in the Dominican Republic.

According to a press release dated 9 February, Loma Mala has previously never been drilled and is located 1.5 kilometres southwest of GlobeStar's Cumpie Hill nickel laterite discovery and less than 8.5 kilometres from Xstrata's Falcondo nickel smelter in the central part of the country.

"With this new discovery of high grade nickel at Loma Mala, coupled with the previously announced discoveries at Cumpie Hill, Corozal and Cercedillo, the scout drilling program on the company's extensive nickel laterite land position has been highly successful and continues to show promise", said Bill Fisher, CEO of GlobeStar. "Both Cumpie Hill and Loma Mala are located within a kilometer of Xstrata's Loma La Peguera nickel concession."

The nickel drilling program will resume once the pit geotechnical drilling at the company's 100% owned Cerro de Maimon copper mine is completed and will focus on discovery of new nickel discoveries along the complete nickel laterite belt held by GlobeStar

Malory

Jul 27, 2006
Can someone help me remember if there is a law in effect regarding the " movement of of mining / aggregate material " during certain hours of the day ?

I have a recollection of a law being written covering this type of operation. It was suppose to limit the hours large trucks could roll through villages on their way from the quarries to wherever ?? IE. ONLY during daylight hours, for example. Also was something about Aggregate companies being responsible for local repairs to the roads but I am not real sure this one got included in the package.

Any assistence along these lines is appreciated.

kFrancisco de Cabral

When established authority breaks down, resort to Guerilla tactics

Large rocks through the windscreen at night, heavy planks with multiple 8 penny nails in their path should slow them down

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Large rocks through the windscreen at night, heavy planks with multiple 8 penny nails in their path should slow them down

Hey, don't follow that advice, or you might end up dead... Things can get quite ugly sometimes...

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Update since first posting last May !

Thought it might be nice to give everyone an update since the original posting in May of last year.

As the ever observant Mirador noted " influence " goes a long way here in Paradise. With the recent elections, Mama became Sindico for Cabral and my brother Roberto was elected Diputado from Barahona.

Seeing that Cabral controls the water source for the Cemex owned Yeso mine down the road in La Salines and Barahona is the port of export, pressure was brought to bear. Cemex is now providing local cities with some funds for the road upkeep and has limited trucking activity to daylight hours the week just before the ship arrives for transport. This last point eliminates the stockpiling of the yeso in downtown Barahona where the winds would blow it out over the reef off the coast The trucks are still way over loaded and move along a bit to fast but things have improved.

kFrancisco de Cabral