SDQ Duty Free Liquor Store

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
This will be my first time flying into SDQ airport. Where is the duty free liquor store located? Is it before or after passing thru immigration and customs. I have a 7 am flight out of EWR and I am not sure if they are open that early in the morning.

Jun 5, 2004
Well try aerodom.com they might have the answer. They should be open because they are alot of flights that leave before 1030 and you would be arriving at that time.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
santobonao said:
buying brugal?

I will buy that local at the Mercado.

Absolute Vodka, etc.

I usually pick-up at EWR airport in Newark, NJ but I am not sure if they will be open at 6am. Maybe I better go the old fashioned route and make a phone call.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The ?Duty Free? liquor sold at SDQ is usually about twice the price or more than buying it in any DR supermarket.

Buy in NJ, or wait until you get here.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
SKY said:
The ?Duty Free? liquor sold at SDQ is usually about twice the price or more than buying it in any DR supermarket.

Buy in NJ, or wait until you get here.

Thanks a LOT! I never realized that, but it is sure good to know.

If I can't get my booze and smokes at 6 am in EWR than I will be sipping Brugal and Siboney Red on this trip.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
bigbird said:
Thanks a LOT! I never realized that, but it is sure good to know.

If I can't get my booze and smokes at 6 am in EWR than I will be sipping Brugal and Siboney Red on this trip.
Just buy your Absolute at the nearest supermarket, it's not expensive.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Ricardo900 said:
Just buy your Absolute at the nearest supermarket, it's not expensive.

I used Absolute as an example. Let's say I want to buy 4 litres of booze. I can easily save $10 bucks a bottle at the EWR Duty Free. That is like getting a free night at the hotel in Boca Chica plus I have the booze of my choice. I know $40 ain't much, but $40 is $40.

If you smoke, you can save $20 a carton on cigs. Two carton savings would be another $40.

A few other items and I have saved $100 before I leave the states. I usually spend close to $200 at the duty free in EWR.

I did find out the duty free in terminal B opens at 6am, hopefully it will be the same.

I can look at my savings as a reduced airline ticket.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You will pay less for cigarettes here in the D.R. than in the Duty Free store in EWR. A carton of Marlboro here is about $14. I think it would be more in EWR. I may be wrong, but I doubt it. I just bought a bottle of Tangueray Gin in Super Super in Sosua. I paid 504 less 5% discount that I get. It came to $15 US. I am using Tangueray just as an example. You can check this price in duty free, it might be more. The DR is cheap for liquor and smokes if you know where to go.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
SKY said:
The DR is cheap for liquor and smokes if you know where to go.

That's the key! If you know where to go. I learn a little more each and every trip I take. Threads like this and other posts on this board are a great help. Sometimes the little things can turn out to be a major hassle.

If I don't get the booze or smokes it sure won't ruin a trip. But a little knowledge can go a long way. No telling who else will read this thread and learn something.

Thanks to All for your replies

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Best bet for most items are the supermarkets. The prices are marked so you don't have to worry about getting quoted a gringo price and most are pretty competitive with each other.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
SKY said:
A carton of Marlboro here is about $14. I think it would be more in EWR.
you are correct the cigarettes in the Duty Free shops in EWR are much more than $14, but I've been told that the Marlboro's sold in the DR don't taste the same as the Marlboro's that are made in the US.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Dominican "Marlboros"

rellosk said:
you are correct the cigarettes in the Duty Free shops in EWR are much more than $14, but I've been told that the Marlboro's sold in the DR don't taste the same as the Marlboro's that are made in the US.

have nothing in common with their American namesakes other than the name. They are a totally domestic product, made in the DR from Dominican tobacco. I believe it is the Leon Jiminez group which bought the rights to use the name locally.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Dominican tobacco is among the best in the world today. I don’t smoke cigarettes, so I can’t comment on them. As far as cigars, I do and they are competitive with the top of the line Cubans.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
I didn't even know that inbound passengers had access to the duty free store, opening hours notwithstanding. But then I've never flown into SDQ anyway. Last time I flew into POP or STI I sure wasn't allowed into the duty free, not that I felt any need to do any shopping either.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
No Access

bigbird said:
This will be my first time flying into SDQ airport. Where is the duty free liquor store located? Is it before or after passing thru immigration and customs. I have a 7 am flight out of EWR and I am not sure if they are open that early in the morning.

No access to the duty free shops for Incoming! Normally have to show an outbound ticket before able to purchase.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Paulino said:
I didn't even know that inbound passengers had access to the duty free store, opening hours notwithstanding. But then I've never flown into SDQ anyway. Last time I flew into POP or STI I sure wasn't allowed into the duty free, not that I felt any need to do any shopping either.
Only outbound passengers are allowed to shop at duty free shops, because the shops are not paying custom taxes "duty" on those items and are allowed to sell it cheaply to passengers leaving the country. If they were allowed to sell it to people coming into the country, it wouldn't be fair to outside businesses who pay import fees on those items.