Apartment Broken Into Today...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Here in La Espanola near Villa Olga in Santiago our apartment was broken into sometime between 1:30 and 3:00 PM. Took 36" TV....walked it down stairs and out the front door in broad daylight. Our apartment front opens to about 30 apartment balconies across the way....not a single person saw a thing. Took video camera, digital camera. They did not take jewelry, watches, stereo, cell phone, etc. They took four passports and a few original documents...birth certificates and marriage certificates. We did not have bars on the front door. We thought with so many apartments around and so much activity it would never happen to us. Called police who came after an hour and a half. They looked around, shrugged their shoulders and asked me to go down to police station with them to file report. I did. As I left the police station....once approached me and said that if I ever need something simply return and pay a small regalo and they can help me. I didn't expect much from them...what can they do? The dirty deed was done. That office was so poor that what could I expect. I didn't even want to file the report...I knew it was a waste of time.

So anyway...be careful out there. They are watching and waiting.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Snuffy said:

My most sincere sympathy...

Here's my true story (I almost feel ashamed to tell it....) A few weeks ago, a Friday night, between 11 pm and midnight, a spiderman emulator had the wreckless audacity to climb up the vertical wall of the side of my building, four stories, up to the roof, and dropping into a balcony. All six members of my family plus my sister-in-law were home. I was awake at the time, and my wife Altagracia heard a noise and mentioned that our youngest son was at our door. Since I hadn't heard Aroa's characteristic knock, I assured her that there was nobody there... What was astounding was that the thief only picked up a child's bike, the DVD and a pair of roller skates, leaving behind other more valuable items... He left through the front door, walking down four flights of stairs... Also, incredibly, no neighbors saw him, at that still busy hour of the night...

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
dang..that sucks. My apt here in Jersey City has been hit many times over the years (six times in 8 years)

I pretty much know that it was the superintendants drug hooked son. But when i asked the police to finger print they wouldnt.

Luckily it has usual been just small stuff that has been lifted...and now i have good security gates on my window.

The stuff can always be replaced....but the feeling of ones place being violated is really tough to get over.

amazing that no one saw anything. You obviously have a computer..have you thought about putting up some flyers around the area? Even if it doesnt help you get yours stuff back...it will let others know that the area is being hit.

strange they took passports and yet not jewelry

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
most of jewelry they were one handful away from. If they had moved one more box they would have hit the jackpot. But there were a few gold rings that they just left there. It was obvious that they were ring boxes. They left a nice watch that I am sure they saw. They left a cell phone. They left a stereo system and DVD player. Well, they left a lot. It could have been much worse. It looks like they came here for documents and took a few other items along the way. So I contact the consulate tomorrow and the passports should be void. What could they do with original copy of marriage certificate, original copy of wife and daughters birth certificates and all our passports? Can't I just report these stolen or should I do more???

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Too bad, unfortunately I don't think there is anything that can really be done. I lived in that area for awhile and it's odd there are so many breakins, I'm not rally sure why but it always seems there are break-ins going on over there.

Alot of the time it's your own neighbors that rob you in apartments, that's why nobody sees anything, they see that kid every day and don't remark about seeing him one more time.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Sorry about your lost,
A 36' TV is not an easy carry, sad to say your apt. was definitely targeted and could be re-targeted at a later date. Most thieves like to hit places again when the owner re-stocks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sorry to hear about this, Snuffy. Sadly this is becoming more commonplace.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Friends

Snuffy said:
.... if I ever need something simply return and pay a small regalo and they can help me. I didn't expect much from them...what can they do? ...
Well, try them out.
Offer them a reward if they're successful in bringing back any of your belongings.
It's not unheard of that they do know the thieves...

m'frog

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
Snuffy said:
Here in La Espanola near Villa Olga in Santiago our apartment was broken into sometime between 1:30 and 3:00 PM. Took 36" TV....walked it down stairs and out the front door in broad daylight. Our apartment front opens to about 30 apartment balconies across the way....not a single person saw a thing. Took video camera, digital camera. They did not take jewelry, watches, stereo, cell phone, etc. They took four passports and a few original documents...birth certificates and marriage certificates. We did not have bars on the front door. We thought with so many apartments around and so much activity it would never happen to us. Called police who came after an hour and a half. They looked around, shrugged their shoulders and asked me to go down to police station with them to file report. I did. As I left the police station....once approached me and said that if I ever need something simply return and pay a small regalo and they can help me. I didn't expect much from them...what can they do? The dirty deed was done. That office was so poor that what could I expect. I didn't even want to file the report...I knew it was a waste of time.

I'm sorry to hear about your break-in. I had a robbery last year where two men were already inside my house with guns when I arrived late at night.
They wanted cash but I don't keep this in my house so they decided to take as many items as possible and put it in my jeep then they decided to take me as a hostage so that I could not get help to give them a chance to get away. They tied my hands so tightly that I lost all feeling in my hands for a long time. They left me up a mountain road where I walked for several hours to get some help. Even though this was a horrible experience we were not hurt. Police could not find any of my missing items and my jeep which they took was found 3 months later in Santo Domingo. I have heard of so many of these break-ins since I had mine. Take care everyone.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Marriage and birth certificates can be used to 'steal'

an identity which can then be used to obtain passports, credit cards, loans etc.

Loved by all crooks since there are no pictures embedded in these documents and 'originals' are priceless.

Be VERY careful of where these documents are kept!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I am so sorry to hear this. I agree that you need to get some better security - thieves love to hit again once you buy everything new. This time, they know where the jewelry is, too.

Take good care - thank God no one was hurt.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Sorry to hear of the intrusion into your Private property Snuffy, as others have indicated, it sounds like locals &/or information being passed on to the criminal element!! Be sure to spend a few hours getting all the locks changed now please!!

Take care & BE SAFE!! ~ Grahame.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Very sorry to hear you were robbed. Be prepared for a return visit!! Barred doors are essential, with a padlock shielded by an iron plate so that thieves can't get at it, but you can with your key.... Yes, they climb like monkeys, so secure ALL possible entry points. Inside bars are best as they can't be jacked out or cut easily never rust. Canadian Bob.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Couple questions.....I'm due to fly to USA on the 17th. Passport stolen. 10 days to get new one. Can I fly out using birth certificate and drivers license?

Is there any type American Citizen Services office in Santiago?

Thanks.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Snuffy said:
Couple questions.....I'm due to fly to USA on the 17th. Passport stolen. 10 days to get new one. Can I fly out using birth certificate and drivers license?
Until year end BC & DL are supposed to be just fine - Jan. 1 rules change for entering or re-entering USA from DR (and many other countries) by air.

Gregg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Snuffy: the POP Consular office told me that they can renew a passport faster than 10 days. Call me and we'll go up there. (Or call them first and check out whether it is true or not. whichever you do, you can count on me.)

Damn sorry to hear of this robbery.

Now you know why people look the other way when the police off these guys every now and then..

HB :(

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Snuffy, sorry to hear about the robbery. If that happened to me I would get bars on everything that I could. With that being said, I just wanted to say that there is a Consulate in Puerto Plata. If you need your passport in a hurry, they do offer a "rush" service. It took me only less than a week to get a passport once.