Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: employment

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default employment

i am looking for employment in dr. I can speak english and learning spanish. I have worked in hotels, banking, offices, retail and have a GNVQ in business studies. I am looking for any sort of work (within reason) in the dr? Can anyone help me?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Any particular area? Or just the whole country? When will you be available?

Be advised most of the country is looking for work and employers do not have to use message boards to recruit people they've never met.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you in DR living at present or are you planning to make a trip here?

Is there any field of work you favour?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

HotSarah (If I may address you by your e-mail name),
    Crystal's Night Club in Puerto Plata is always hiring bilingual Customer Service Representitives. You may be qualified for a position. PM me with your resume' and photo. I'll forward it to them for consideration.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Naughty, NAUGHTY, Howmar!! (but extremely funny to my sense of humour!!)
    Sarah, tere have been many a post replied to on your requests & I have responded to your e-mail (as possibly might 200 others you may have e-mailed). There ARE NO jobs available until you are here - PLEASE believe us & stop asking the same question over & over again!!

(Actually, I am beginning to wonder if SarahWatton (aka as HotSarah) is not really a sockpuppet for one of our recently departed posters?? Anyone else would have got the message by now!) ~ Grahame.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

No, no sockpuppet .. just someone who wants a job down here. Why? well, that will take some time to figure out

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what goes through people's minds. Here's an equivelant post:

Hi.

I am looking for a job in Illinois. I do not live in Illinois but actually in another country entirely.

I have experience burger flipping and as a gas pump attendant and also I was a waiter once. I do not speak the local language of Illinois but I can probably learn.

Please help me, send email to [email protected]

edited to ad: I really hope that's not somebody's email address. For the record I assume its not.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default jobs....

I confirm that the Cristal in Puerto Plata always has a door open for new people....Not necessary to speak Spanish (better not...), doesn't require any experience and it seems that "salaries" are high.....

I love your sense of humor....

Seriously, there are so many Dominicans more or less qualified looking for a job that I agree with employers : why hire somebody you've never seen, who can't speak the local language, who doesn't know anything about living and working here....

The best thing should be : first come here, stay for a while to know in which part of the country you would like to live, learn the language (better take a real Spanish course, because if you speak like they speak in the street, nobody would take you seriously), look how people work here (never too much...it's hot), and learn the word "manana" with its different significations. Then you'll be able to find a job.

Never expect to earn a lot....Dominican salaries are very low and if you want to live with European or American standards you'll be surprised, this will be impossible.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Estrella1
    Seriously, there are so many Dominicans more or less qualified looking for a job that I agree with employers : why hire somebody you've never seen, who can't speak the local language, who doesn't know anything about living and working here....
    Well, this is true. And I hope people some day will have a more realistic view on the Caribbean, rather than just " I love this island and want to live there so I need a work"...
    It is worth it in the long run, for most people. It is not easy if you have no specific skills or money in the bank. Thatīs the reality, and MrMikes post looks stupid when you put Illinois instead of Puerto Plata, right? Itīs beause it is rather naive to hope for a job before even arriving to a place, or before stating any info about age, education, knowledge of the area, how long you have lived here before etc etc.

I have several clients, that operate in tourism, and none of them usually hire foreigners, and never newbies. This is because they have no time to put in to people, that might or might not stay. And they have no time to put on newbies other issues that comes up sooner or later, i.e needs of apartments, boyfriends/girlfriends, lack of money,lack of knowledge of how the culture works etc etc. They canīt send them out on any simple arrends, as they wouldnīt know where to go or how to deal with it.
    It simply takes to much time to hire newbies, and the companies here run businesses as elsewhere and look at the interest of their business.

Sarah, if you want to move here you must do your homework really well.
    Learn the language, culture, think through why you want to live here and what you plan to do with your life here. How much money do you need on a monthly basis, and is it possible for you to earn that amount? What living standards will you need? etc etc etc.

The first thing you need to do to make your dreams come true, is to wake up and be realistic about it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Sarah,

Go to this link and if it's something that is of any interest for you drop them your resume: they might be looking for Guest services and excursions as well.

Time share selling can also be an option.

http://www.resortjobs.com/do/details/900

cheers

Alain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast