Life in the DR

nonie0423

May 9, 2006
I am very serious about retiring in the DR and was told Puerto Plata is a great place. Any info on anything about living in the DR would be greatly appreciated.....

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hello and welcome :classic:

May I ask - have you ever been to the DR? Before moving to any country/town I would strongly suggest an extended stay in the area so as to be sure that it's the place you want to settle in.

As Robert suggested, use the search function and you will find answers to many of your questions.

Daydream

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You've got your reading cut out for you.
The good news is that you can pick up so much valuable info, that it can make the difference of making it or breaking it.
Renting for the first 6 months or so is wise, as it will enable you to be sure of your decision, and it's enough time to decide on location.
As the POP airport is in Sosua, you might make that your starting point & work from there.

nonie0423

May 9, 2006
Thanks for the info. Yes, lots of reading and I have friends that visit very often. They are telling me cost of living is very moderate compared to FL.....

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
nonie0423 said:
They are telling me cost of living is very moderate compared to FL.....
This is true, but there are exceptions, of course.
Some imported goods can be really pricey, like a plastic cooler, or your favorite peanut butter.
On the other hand, you can take a big express bus for 5 hours accross the country for less than 10 bucks, or get a flat repaired on your car, for $2.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Why not send a PM (Private Message) to "drtampa" and ask him? they are planning their move now and have done tons of research.

A lot will depend on the quality of life issues you may have.

HB:D:D