Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
http://www.bpdbank.com/location.html

90 Broad Street, Fifth Floor
New York, NY 10004
Tel: (212) 506-0600

BPD is a US based FDIC bank
Banco Popular is an AFFILIATE located in RD!

My guess, NO.
If you put money in the US, you can take it out in RD at the affiliate.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Citi has kept its corporate operations. Believe they are called Citigroup. Scotia purchased the consumer division.

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
why I love this site

yesterday I transfered some money to my sister and when she went to withdraw it at citibank...well there was no citibank!

she calls me this morning and says that where the citibank used to be there's a Scotia bank instead. I said, let me investigate and I'll call you back.

Now I see why that was...I knew I would find the info here.

it sucks that an international bank like citibank based in the US is no longer in DR. now I need to find another US based bank over there

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Why bother donrael? Instead, why don't you open a new checking account there, (maintaining the FDIC coverage you seem to like), send the checks here to your sister, and then when she needs $$$, make the deposit, and then call her to write a check in that amount and change it at a casa de cambio.

Just tell her to not bounce a check at the casa de cambio, or she will be on the hook for 2% A DAY in interest on the amount of the bounced check, and out of business for getting her cash.

Immediate cash for her, no cost to either of you (except maybe a small monthly service charge for the new account).

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I'm afraid Tamborista has it in reverse -- BPD (which originally stood for Banco Popular Dominicano, to avoid confusion with Puerto Rico's Banco Popular) is an affiliate of Banco Popular in the DR, not the other way around.

While your deposits in BPD in the US would be covered by FDIC (up to the limits, of course!), your money in the branches in the DR would not be.

Citibank was the last US-based bank to have consumer banking operations in the DR. It is still there, but now only doing corporate, so if you're stuck on dealing with US-based donrael, you're out of luck. Scotia, which bought Citi's consumer banking ops (including Citi's credit card business in the DR, I believe) is Canada-based.