Huracan Cafe?

sluna77

Aug 25, 2005
I am going to Ocean Bavaro on May 20th. What hotel is this in and how far away from my hotel?

Thanks!

Caren M.

Jan 27, 2006
Huracan Cafe

Huracan Cafe is a 7 minute walk on the beach. When on the beach behind Ocean Bavaro, facing the water, go to your right. It is just around the bend. Ask for Enrico or Sara and order the mozarella en carrozzo!

Eileensesy

Aug 4, 2004
LTI Resort

I am staying in the Cayenna Beach Resort inside the LTI Complex. How far is it to Hurican Cafe ?

paulbuceta

Feb 27, 2009
Don't go...

Don't go to Hurican Cafe!
I went there and they overcharged me sooo much, it bordered on grand theft.

They actually brought out guys from the kitchen to threaten me when I approached the manager about the excess of the bill.

If you want to pay over $1,000.00 for dinner for 5 in a country where it shouldn't cost over $200.00 feel free.

I spoke with locals and they even told me this place is known for that kind of thing. Seriously, avoid them at all cost.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
nice place

We were at the Hurricane cafe in January, just loved it, great food, nice staff, loved the location.
We would go back.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Don't go to Hurican Cafe!
I went there and they overcharged me sooo much, it bordered on grand theft.

They actually brought out guys from the kitchen to threaten me when I approached the manager about the excess of the bill.

If you want to pay over $1,000.00 for dinner for 5 in a country where it shouldn't cost over $200.00 feel free.

I spoke with locals and they even told me this place is known for that kind of thing. Seriously, avoid them at all cost.

They charged you for items you didnt order?

Or they charged you more than was on the menu?

Exactly how did you get ripped off?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i don't get the point neither.
hurricane cafe is not one of my favs, but it is sure not a bad one.
they are pricy, yes, so are most good spots here in the area, sorrily, but that's not new.
to spend 1KUS$ with a family of 5 for a full dinner with a good wine is on the east not out of the ordinary.
so did they charge you items which you did not order/receive?
did they charge you more than stated on the menue for the received items?
i will be the first who blames out loud a business which scams/ripps off his customers, but i would like to hear some details/facts before somebody writes out loud "don't go there".
you "spoke to locals who state a dinner for 5 should just cost not more than $200.-"???
now that's crap.
we have some nice spots down here where you don't get even close to a dinner for 200 bucks, and there's sure not good bottle of wine included.
bring up some details so we can discuss that theme.
thanks
Mike

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I can see dinner for five with a good wine at good places in this area costing around RS$20,000, which is more like US$600. A thousand does sound steep although not impossible depending on choices.

The negative comments I've heard about Hurac?n Caf? since moving to the area are not to do with price/overcharging but I will wait and see for myself before posting hearsay.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
of course right Chiri,
like i wrote above, the hurricanje cafe is by far not a choice of mine when i want to go out for a bit of a fancy dinner or such.
i get usually very good wine for 15-30 bucks per bottle, sure you can also choose brands and spots where a bottle of wine costs 6-10KPesos plus the dinner, but i guess we check the too steep rates first and decide then where we dine.
the hurricane cafe does not have a good name in the area, right, but i would like to hear from the OP some details about the so called scam.
Mike

mona0410

Jun 8, 2009
I spent three months in Bavaro where I worked on a dive base and I dined quite a few times at Huracan cafe - and it was always a very positive experience.

YES, depending on what you are ordering it can be a reasonable dinner or quite fancy.
I once made the mistake to order a good bottle of wine and did not check the menu or ask for the price and ended up with 40 USD for the bottle - but hey that was my mistake, not theirs.

I went back and never regretted going there for a nice relaxed, yummy dinner and a sunset drink!