OK, its time to prepare ..

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
for the 2006 hurricane season. Those of you who lived with us through the previous two seasons, will know that last year was a breeze, but the previous year had a six week period that was simply a crazy time with storms.

Here on DR1, we need to put the final touches on our hurricane preparedness guide, due to be posted on the site on the 15th of May. (Of course those of you who live here need to actually go through it and prepare! - it's important).

At this stage it would be helpful if you can give your hints and tips for preparedness and we will include them in the hurricane preparedness guide. Also, from last year, any special lessons that you learnt, or things that you would like to see us incorporate on DR1. We'll remain informal, but we will have the best information available that is possible with all the wonderful weather tools available to us today.

What do you think? What do YOU need to do to get ready and prepared for hurricane season?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chris said:
for the 2006 hurricane season. Those of you who lived with us through the previous two seasons, will know that last year was a breeze, but the previous year had a six week period that was simply a crazy time with storms.

Here on DR1, we need to put the final touches on our hurricane preparedness guide, due to be posted on the site on the 15th of May. (Of course those of you who live here need to actually go through it and prepare! - it's important).

At this stage it would be helpful if you can give your hints and tips for preparedness and we will include them in the hurricane preparedness guide. Also, from last year, any special lessons that you learnt, or things that you would like to see us incorporate on DR1. We'll remain informal, but we will have the best information available that is possible with all the wonderful weather tools available to us today.

What do you think? What do YOU need to do to get ready and prepared for hurricane season?

At least a couple of cases of beer... No, wait, if a hurricane strikes, then there will be no electricity, and who wants warm beer ...better make that a couple of cases of rum... By the way, do you know why natives of Bani are called 'Los Siembra Hielo' (The Ice Planters)? It is because in the olden days, before the advent of electricity, Banilejos had a thriving business shipping in ice made through the old ammonia icemaking system, and then burying the ice blocks wrapped in several layers of burlap sacks inside a deep pit filled with a combination of coffee shells and rice hulls. It is reported that the ice lasted over a month...

-

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Sweet Story, but I'll translate that Mirador, to the reality ;)

If you have not had occasion to use your planta recently, change the oil, start it up, change any filters and see that you have fuel for it....

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chris said:
Sweet Story, but I'll translate that Mirador, to the reality ;)

If you have not had occasion to use your planta recently, change the oil, start it up, change any filters and see that you have fuel for it....

Chris, no need to be so condescending, no need to spell it out, you're not talking to kindergarden kids here. I said it loud and clear with my story: prepare for no electricity!. Don't underestimate your audience, I'm sure they are more than capable of making the necessary connections. How do you think they made it this far (to the DR) in the first place?....

-

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
"no need to be so condescending"

That's a good one!

It's a trademark I have noticed.

Rock On

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Mirador said:
Chris, no need to be so condescending, no need to spell it out, you're not talking to kindergarden kids here. I said it loud and clear with my story: prepare for no electricity!. Don't underestimate your audience, I'm sure they are more than capable of making the necessary connections. How do you think they made it this far (to the DR) in the first place?....

-
OK Mirador, sorry that you felt it was condescending. It was not meant that way. Newby's may not find it such .. and we're mostly writing for newby's with no experience. I did enjoy your story.

Yes, where hurricanes are concerned, my sense of humor usually totally goes away....

So besides beer and a method to keep it cold, or rum, any other non-condescending preparation tips that you have? Ones that may help newby's prepare and ones that could save lives or property. (Again, not condescending, just factual)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chris said:
....So besides beer and a method to keep it cold, or rum, any other non-condescending preparation tips that you have? Ones that may help newby's prepare and ones that could save lives or property. (Again, not condescending, just factual)

Here's one, for starters...

For emergency communication, get a cheap second hand citizen band two way radio that runs on a 12 volt battery, since during a Hurricane your cell phone will be useless (one of the first things to go with the wind are the cell antennas...). I got mine at a flee market, for around 10 dollars, its a 4 watt, 40 channel handheld General Electric. I've played around with it a few times, and managed to communicate with cbers in all the Mexican Gulf States and far away as the Blue Grass State (Kentucky). If you happen to hear me, my handle is "Noooo Doubt About It". By the way, you don't need a license to operate a citizen band radio in the DR, or at least the authorities don't enforced it...

-

-

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Donde est?n las velas?

I need to remember where the candles, matches and flashlights are since I don't have an inverter or a generator. Basic preparations would be to make sure to have a fresh 5 gallon water jug and propane cooking gas. My building is 3 blocks back from the Malec?n in Santo Domingo with a view of the sea from my back window.

The back wall of the building, because of lower rise buildings between it and the sea could suffer structural damage from a severe hurricane. The building is 1 1/2 years old with cement block and rebar construction.

I have to be very conscious of hurricane tracks on the internet to be sure to make a judgement to evacuate in the event of a very strong hurricane headed for Santo Domingo.

Resources for that start with Dr1's hurricane page. The US Weather Service's National Hurrican Center page is indispensable for hurricane track projections. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

As far as the aftermath of a severe hurricane it would be a good idea to have some cash on hand to buy basic foods which would appear quite quickly in this energetic country.

Last edited:
G

gary short

The biggest killer during hurricanes are the rains that occur during and after the storm. If you live near a river or gully on steep terrain head for high and dry ground.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thanks all .. I'm checking the hurricane preparation post as we speak to ensure that we include all these suggestions ... All are welcome and important. (Store those candles, flashlights, extra batteries, lighters and matches in a ziplock bag)

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
huricane help / cat litter

Hi, I'm serious about the cat litter, went through Jeanne, all the shingles left the house so was raining almost as much inside as outside. Upstairs was out of the question, ground floor was full of water, Had a small back room with a door but was flooding as well. After a couple of hours of constant sweeping the water out of the ground floor, I cut two pieces of wood the size of the door frame (to the small room) and placed them in and poured CAT LITTER on both sides. Well, the cat litter quickly became a solid barrier and in the morning had 6 " of water in the kitchen but not a drop in the small room we had retreated to.
In short I found out that cat litter can have more than 1 use.
Good Night,
CG

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
Trim any trees you have nearby and if you have corragated iron on any roofs, ensure it is either firmly attached or if you can, take it off. That stuff is lethal when it starts flying around! Maybe some wood to cover your windows or at least masking tape to stop it shattering all over the place (does that work, by the way??!!).

Make sure your invertor batteries are in good condition and you have plenty of cooking gas (we ran out during the last tropical storm - what a nightmare!). Loads of drinking water and a few extra tins of food might come in handy if you live somewhere a little remote and can't get to the shops.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The suggestion usually is to keep sufficient drinking water and food on hand for three days. But from what we've learnt from Katrina last year, I would suggest upping those allowances to 5 days.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My list:
Water, lots of it. during David and Frederic most places were without water for weeks. they sell good, large plastic tanks that can be cleaned out and used for this. Change the water as the weeks roll on.
Good batteries, enought for our radios and other things (see further on)
Good battery run light
Candles, not decorative, but lots of them.
First aid kit with some anti biotics in cream and pill form
Mosquito netting, if one hits, you won''t have fans or a/c for a long while.
Canned food
Dry food
Games and stuff for the kids

Got the call to lunch,will/might add more as I think about this.

HB :D:D

Fuel for an emergency genset, if you have one. use good steel containers if possible.

I have one of those hand cranked radios. they do come in handy.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly said:
I have one of those hand cranked radios. they do come in handy.

Flash lights are available, also, that don't require batteries.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
North Shore v. South Shore

1st year for the storm season.We have been told the North Shore doesan't take quite the beating the South does. We know you have to be prepared, but what is the difference, if any. I don't want my wife to go crazy, but we still want to be safe and reasonable. Thank for your help.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
oriole100, I'll post up a hurricane preparedness list in a day or so. Just waiting for all the member suggestions to include in our list.

Yes, the North Coast traditionally is less prone to storms. But generally it is much better to be prepared. We've seen a change a weather patterns globally and the North Coast is not immune ;) (Although everyone there would like to believe that it is!)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not immune, true. HOWEVER, just look at any of the towns from Cabrera to Monte Cristi. they are made out of wood! POP has some homes that are over 100 years old...

Our place on the beach at Punta Rucia is over 40 years old.

Now, are we prepared? Yes, of course we are. Do I worry? Not much.

The worst that has happened to us in Santiago is the loss of drinking water for a week or so and the loss of electricity for a couple of days (which won't happenthisyear :p:p). Oh yeah, the coconut tree cracked our roof...:D:D:D

HB :D