GPS Tracking in The DR

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
OK, so with all these posts about people's houses being broken into and since this happened to me a few weeks back I've been thinking about ways of not only preventing future break ins, but recovering my stuff and cathing the thiefs if this happens again. I've been wondering if it's possible to use a GPS device to track valuables (i.e. computers, cars, etc) in The DR. I did a quick search on EBay and it looks like they do have some GPS tracking devices that you're supposed to be able to use worldwide. Some claim you can use Google Earth to track, which may work in certain areas of Santo Domingo where the definition is good enough to see streets, but if I look at Cotui (for instance) it wouldn't be possible to locate a specific street or even a nerighborhood.

Does anyone know about using these devices in The DR? Is it possible to locate the tracking device even if a well defined map of the area does not exist?

Do they sell them in The DR? How about Lo-Jack or similar vehicle recovery device?

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
France Telecom

I was told that France Telecom offers that service but for cars only. The only issue is that DR Police does not use the system for tracking like Lowjack in the US. a bit useless then....

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Suarez,

I've heard that orange (the cell phone company) has some GPS service for cars in the DR. Some kind of tracking system. I'm going to ask my friend that works at orange and I'll get back to you.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Ok here is the deal:

It's called orange auto. You can turn it on or off through your PC. You are assigned some kind code and the alarm system you have to purchase is called Aurora. This is what my friend at Orange tells me.