Base for exploring the pueblitos near Santiago

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
Can anyone suggest a city from where I can explore the "pueblitos" in the MOUNTAINS near Santiago?? I have heard these have a cooler climate as well as some of them are said to be very beautiful and clean.

Information on this forum regarding the names and location of these pueblitos is very limited. I am assuming these pueblitos are on the Cordillera Central, probably in the northern part since this is the area closest to Santiago.

I've heard this is a good place to look for a girlfriend/wife (I'm a native Spanish language speaker so no need for them to speak English).

Should I stay in Santiago and use that city as a base to explore the pueblitos?? Would Constanza be a better choice?? Any other city?? I need internet access availability, preferably WI FI (laptop).

Thanks.

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
amigomexicano said:
Can anyone suggest a city from where I can explore the "pueblitos" in the MOUNTAINS near Santiago?? I have heard these have a cooler climate as well as some of them are said to be very beautiful and clean.

Information on this forum regarding the names and location of these pueblitos is very limited. I am assuming these pueblitos are on the Cordillera Central, probably in the northern part since this is the area closest to Santiago.

I've heard this is a good place to look for a girlfriend/wife (I'm a native Spanish language speaker so no need for them to speak English).

Should I stay in Santiago and use that city as a base to explore the pueblitos?? Would Constanza be a better choice?? Any other city?? I need internet access availability, preferably WI FI (laptop).

Thanks.

Santiago is the second largest city in the DR and the largest in the Cibao region and in terms of comfort for a visitor, it will be your best choice.

If you are a lover of nature, you really will like the mountains scene, very lovely and lots of nice places to just relax and enjoy the views and lovely nature.

Since you speak spanish, you should be okay on your own. The area is not very touristy so the girls are much more sincere and if you are young, are relatively good looking and you know how to woo a lady, then I cannot but wish you the best of luck.....(that is in making up your mind). The people there are more family oriented and you will see more of younger married couples there. From there you can visit the nearby cities of Moca, San Jose, La Vega and San Francisco (de macoris). Nice little cities all of them.

As for WIFI, I have no knowledge of, but most of the hotels usually have a computer with internet access that you can use on a minute/per hour charge rate.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Alittle note on Dominican Geography.

The little towns, with the exception of Pedro Garc?a, Guananico and Mamey de los Hidalgos, are SOUTH of Santiago in the Cordillera Central. the first three towns mentioned are in the Cordillera Septentrional. There is also Villa Trina up in the northern hills.

Now, communication between these places is seldom the shortest route.
For example, due to road conditions, it may well be easier to go from Constanza, down to the Duarte Highway, up to La Vega and then up to Jarabacoa, rather than taking the road that goes from Constanza to Jarabacoa. From Jarabacoa there are no roads to San Jos? de las Matas. From SaJoMa, there is a nice connecting road to El Rubio and Monci?n and Santiago Rodr?guez.

That said, your base should probably be either La Vega or Santiago.

I do not know if there are any Wifi access points in la Vega, but there is free WIFI access at the PUCMM in Santiago. Of course, "everyone" knows where to stay in Santiago.:p:p:p

Hopes thishelps.

HB :D:D:D

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
Thanks guys. Very interesting tips!!!!!! I would rather live in Constanza or La Vega but I don't know if Flash Movil internet access is available on these two cities. A gym would also be a nice extra but I doubt there are gyms in those cities. Thanks.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I would say Santiago. First off. I was just in La Vega and there is nothing...absolutely nothing for rent. Santiago will give you the central base you need..........go north across mountains to beach on several routes. Go west into the mountains. Go South to many mountainous areas around Constanza/LaVega/Jarabacoa. At night come home to a place where you can take a hot bath...for you have electricity, visit a nice restaurant, see a movie.

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
Snuffy said:
I would say Santiago. First off. I was just in La Vega and there is nothing...absolutely nothing for rent. Santiago will give you the central base you need..........go north across mountains to beach on several routes. Go west into the mountains. Go South to many mountainous areas around Constanza/LaVega/Jarabacoa. At night come home to a place where you can take a hot bath...for you have electricity, visit a nice restaurant, see a movie.

Thanks. Is Santiago as hot and humid as Miami??? Or is it worse?? It looks like a convenient city for me but I hate to be dripping with sweat all the time, that's why I had thought about Constanza. I love cold climates!!!!!

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
If you love cold climates, amigomexicano, I guess you will have to live in Constanza. They say even summers are cool there. As for beautiful girls, I am surprised you have not taken a look at Los Altos de Jalisco and surrounding areas. Good looking ones there and traditional too. I"ve seen plenty of them in Los Angeles.

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
juancarlos said:
If you love cold climates, amigomexicano, I guess you will have to live in Constanza. They say even summers are cool there. As for beautiful girls, I am surprised you have not taken a look at Los Altos de Jalisco and surrounding areas. Good looking ones there and traditional too. I"ve seen plenty of them in Los Angeles.

Yeah, I love cold :)

Your post surprised me a bit. I think Mexican girls in the United States are not as good looking as those that live in Mexico.

I have met lots of girls from Jalisco and while they are prettier than those from other places in the South, they are no match for girls in Northern Mexico.

It's not only a difference in terms of attractiveness but a difference in class. Most Southern Mexicans have no "porte", don't dress well, don't speak correctly, etc. Southern Mexicans talk a lot about women from Jalisco but I really don't think these girls are that pretty.

Women in Chihuahua are much more beautiful and it's a known fact that when people from Distrito federal or Southern Mexico go to Chihuahua, they are impressed and can't believe their eyes, specially if they go visit one of the colleges there.

Based on what I've read on this and other forums, a good comparison between Dominican women and Mexican women could be:

Mexican women from Chihuahua = Santiagueras
Mexican women from Jalisco = Santo Domingo
Mexican women in the United States = Sosua (or Haiti??) :)

Last edited:

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Mexican women in the US. will be mad as hell if they find out what you think of them!

Anyway, I have not been to Chihuahua. The only part of northern Mexico I know is Tijuana. I do know southern Mexico, though. Beautiful cities, perhaps women not as beautiful, but even there I've seen pretty ones. Yes, they say that in Santiago and places like San Jos? de las Matas live a lot of beautiful Dominican girls. When are you going there? I hope you are not like me who have been thinking of visiting DR for years now and it still remains a thought!

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
juancarlos said:
Mexican women in the US. will be mad as hell if they find out what you think of them!

Anyway, I have not been to Chihuahua. The only part of northern Mexico I know is Tijuana. I do know southern Mexico, though. Beautiful cities, perhaps women not as beautiful, but even there I've seen pretty ones. Yes, they say that in Santiago and places like San Jos? de las Matas live a lot of beautiful Dominican girls. When are you going there? I hope you are not like me who have been thinking of visiting DR for years now and it still remains a thought!

:) Yes, they will be mad as hell and they're quite agressive so I may be risking my life with that post....hehehe...

By the way, Tijuana is the ugliest city I've ever seen. Not to mention it's quite dangerous. I never understood why gringos and pochos love to go there for partying and meeting ugly fat ladies of the night.

Medical care seems to be excellent there though but so it is in most large cities in Mexico. Many Mexicans in California go to Tijuana to see the doctor which is a very good idea considering the quality and the cost.

I've been to southern Mexico but again, the cities may be beautiful but the women are not as beautiful as in the north. However, I have been to Brazil and Brazilian women beat Mexican and American women very easily.

I'm curious to see if Santiagueras can be as beautiful as Brazilians. However, I believe beauty is not just the "outside". The "inside" also counts and Brazilian girls from certain regions are sweet and know how to treat their men.

The dollar is worth nothing in Brazil now so it's time for me to consider cheaper destinations like the DR. I'm sure DR could beat Brazil in many aspects, especially safety.

Brazil is super dangerous if you go beyond the tourist places i.e. the favelas and the places where the locals go. There are always foreigners getting killed because they were too adventurous or got lost in a city.

I will be in Rep. Dominicana in a couple of months. I can't wait to be there and explore that beautiful country as it is said to be. I also want to meet a nice lady for a serious relationship.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you're going to live in the mountains, Jarabacoa would be a way better choice, than Constanza.
Although the drive to Constanza is spectacular, you could hardly find a more boring isolated town with an exceptionally high percentage of ugly women.
Jarabacoa is 10 times more conveniently located for getting to Santiago, Moca & La Vega, and it has an actual downtown area.
I can't think of a better base (for your requirements) in the mountains in the upper part of the country.

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
Rocky said:
If you're going to live in the mountains, Jarabacoa would be a way better choice, than Constanza.
Although the drive to Constanza is spectacular, you could hardly find a more boring isolated town with an exceptionally high percentage of ugly women.
Jarabacoa is 10 times more conveniently located for getting to Santiago, Moca & La Vega, and it has an actual downtown area.
I can't think of a better base (for your requirements) in the mountains in the upper part of the country.

wow!! are they really that ugly in Constanza??? Jarabacoa sounds good, amigo. I've heard there are some towns (probably in the mountains) where the women look more European, do you know where they are located??

Thanks

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
amigomexicano said:
I've heard there are some towns (probably in the mountains) where the women look more European, do you know where they are located??

Thanks
Not that they are a majority, but there are a lot of Spanish looking women in places like Jarabacoa, La Vega, Moca & Santiago.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Regarding Santiago, it is warm but seldom muggy, like Miami. Generally speaking, we have a breeze from the East-Southeast most of the time.

Our poster "Snuffy" was originally worried about the heat, but he has found Santiago to be quite livable. No doubt that Jarabacoa or San Jos? de las Matas is cooler, but they offer a whole lot less.

HB :D:D:D