Inspection of Container Contents

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
When you ship your household good and vehicle to the DR how do the determine what to pay tax/duty on? Do they open every crate/box and say look here is a new laptop..PAY PAY PAY..Anyone who has been through this please tell me what to expect...Is ther an easy solution to having everything opened up..Or is it not that way.?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
There is no easy solution - you go with the flow.

My personal experience (5 years ago) at Haina (Maersk/Sealand) was that most every household article/package was removed by yard workers from the container to a nearby warehouse. Articles left behind in the container were placed in a manner to allow unhindered viewing. Each unit was partially opened to expose the contents for inspection. The inspector(s) reviewed each and every article and noted items especially electrical in nature. After the inspection the packaging is resealed and returned to container. Note: It is at this time is when one should have extra eyes available to monitor the container and warehouse and places in between to prevent shopping by inspector(s) and/or yard workers. After the inspection a tax is arrived at within an unspecified period, a day or day(s) and a tax bill is produced. When proof of the tax payment is presented arrangements can be made to claim container and contents for delivery. Claiming the vehicle is a separate transaction.

Use a padlock and a numbered cable seal to secure the container before and after inspection

My vehicle was removed from the container and sent to the impound yard for inspection and processing. For your vehicle protection take a (before) photo of the vehicle at arrival at the impound yard and make sure the workers see you do it (it is not unheard off that parts are removed from vehicles during storage). After paying taxes, registration fees, and yard storage fees, was able after about two weeks to claim vehicle.

Note: PJT shipped every household article packaged, marked, and numbered. A packing list in English and Spanish was supplied to the officials, it did speed up the inspection process.

Regards,
PJT

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Seems to me that people that came through this relatively happy, are those that prepared very well. Like PJT says, numbered packing lists, take photos of each part of the process and be seen to be taking photos and don't try to bring in something that you should not. Have a number of copies of all documentation, (e.g. vehicle documentation) ready. Even after that, it is still a toss-up.