Need clarification on Urbanization location

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
As some of you know, I recently purchased a home in Puerto Plata, in an area I was told is supposed to be "Torre Alta". However, during my last trip in April, I was constantly informed by people (a motoconcho driver, someone at Sam's bar, and the delivery people from Distribudora Gonzalez) that my home is, in fact, not in the Torre Alta area, but rather an area by the name of "Cibao", I believe. At least that is what it sounded like to me. My home is located in what I considered to be the western part of Torre Alta. Is there actually another "urbanization" that abuts the Torre Alta subdivision? I am curious to find out as I am going Monday to start the process of shipping a vehicle down and would like to be able to be a bit more specific in terms of the location of my home as I have to provide an address to the shipping company.

If anyone can help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Your house is located in Torre Alta 4.
They have developed that area so fast, that the streets have no names, and the areas goes simply by numbers, 1-4.

Edited to include:
The administration office further down your house, would have an address to use for shipping.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Accordong to the locals around me, I live in an area called Los Mangos. The official name given to our road/area by the Ayuntaminiento is TOTALLY wrong because when they were young, all these people (as kids) used to come mango hunting here & that is what they always called it!!

Thanks neighbours - I think I will continue to use the official name on the Title & catastral.

If you don't already have the Titile document there to check (if not, WHY not?) get your lawyer who made the transaction for you to give you the details FROM the Title Document he is holding. Don't worry what other people CALL the area, what you need is the OFFICIAL name & that will be on the Title Document (& presumably the Bill of Sale you have will confirm this!!) ~ Grahame.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Thanks all

Howmar, thank you. The info you provided has been very, very helpful and settles the issue for me. I guess I'll have to start carrying a copy of the plot plan.

Carina, I am aware of what you have noted and, true, the area has no identifiable markers (street names, numbers) etc, so that is why I thought it best to start asking from people who might certainly have a better idea than myself. Unfortunately, for me, I can't always drag an expat along with me while I try and handle my daily business while there. LOL

Grahame, I understand perfectly what you are saying and, in fact, have always referenced my documents, which indicate Torre Alta, as well as parcel number and district category number. The problem for me is that I've not had anything with which to cross reference that information against.

Additionally, I generally don't worry about names, titles, labels, etc., etc. But, when I need something delivered to my home, it's nice to know that people know how to get there.

In any event, thanks again. You've all been very helpful.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Bushbaby, that is very true with many areas. And as you say, it doesn?t mean the correct address for shipping would be Los Mangos for you...LOL

Jackquontee, that is also why I suggested you get an official address from the administration office that your area have. They would have a shipping address that is correct, that was your question ( for a car ).

General in DR you do not locate an address by the street or number in everyday life, more by "beside the ....", "close to ..... and then left", " after the house of the family ...." etc. That?s why motoconchos, delivery people or others will say "the Cibao" to you about your location, and it is of course not true as far as correct and official names are concerned.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Good information

I wasn't aware that there was an administration office in the area. I will definitely look for it and pay them a visit on my next trip, if for no other reason than to familiarize myself with their function(s).

However, outside of that, and for the purpose of having deliveries made to my home, having an "official address" (which I've had all along) still seems to do no good if the deliverer of goods does not recognize such an "official address". I gave the address on my previous trip to the Distribudora Gonzalez people and caught hell from them because they couldn't find the house, insisting that my home was not located in Torre Alta. Oh well.

samsbar

Jun 30, 2005
Hi Jackquontee, The people say your house is in Las Caobas. Not sure if I'm spelling it correctly. Joanne

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Not yet

JDJones, no, I've not yet shipped the vehicle. I will be going tomorrow to start making arrangements. The last I checked on the government website (provided on this website) it was 12K US. Some have argued that that is just too much money. However, it is a spare vehicle that I can do without. Additionally, if I sought to buy something comparable there, my guess is that it would run anywhere from 25-30K US.

You say
I say this because I have yet to run into someone that has imported a car that says they wouldn't do it again if they had the chance.
Am I interpreting that right? Everyone you've encountered who has shipped says they would do it again?

Joanne, how are you? Sorry I haven't been in touch lately. That 3 weeker was just too much time away, and now I'm paying for it having to catch up on everything that piled up while I was gone. In any event, that is what I recall being told when I was there. I just couldn't quite remember the name. I'll be back some time next month (not quite sure of exact date just yet), but I'll be sure to stop in when I get there. Tony