Getting a job in the US after graduating from PUCMM

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
Is it possible for American citizens to get a good job in the US after studying a "Licenciatura, tecnologia or ingenieria" at PUCMM??? (I'm referring to a job related to their career).

Or do Americans citizens who study in PUCMM have no other choice but to stay in DR and work there??

Also, is PUCMM a public university?? Is it hard to get in??

THANKS!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We have hundreds of US citizens and residents studying at the PUCMM, both in Santiago and in Santo Domingo.
As to your course of study, a lot will depend on your grades, just as they doin the States. If you are a good student, you can certainly get into most graduate programs in the States for your advanced work.
PUCMM is a private, pontifical, Catholic, university. It is not very hard to get in, but, somewhat like Hotel California, if you don't study, it can be difficult to graduate from. Its degrees are recognized around the world, because of its "Pontifical" status, as well as its well-earned reputation for producing pretty good graduates. :p:p

You should also know that there is a vast difference between "Licenciado", "t?cnico", or "ingeniero" degrees.

HB :D:D

monster

Oct 16, 2005
Hillbilly said:
You should also know that there is a vast difference between "Licenciado", "t?cnico", or "ingeniero" degrees.

Well, whats the difference???

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Why do you, in particular, want to know? Are you going to study there? If you are, you should know enough Spanish to know the differences. :p:p:p If it is just curiosity, let me know.

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
Hillbilly said:
Why do you, in particular, want to know? Are you going to study there? If you are, you should know enough Spanish to know the differences. :p:p:p If it is just curiosity, let me know.

Thanks for your VERY valuable information, Hillbilly. I might study there but I do have the choice of studying over the web at an American University though I'd prefer to go to a real school and interact with people. That's why I was thinking about PUCMM but I'm worried about not being able to impress an American employer with a Dominican degree, in case I need to work in the US since I've heard Dominican salaries, like most salaries in Latin America, are very low. There are some colleges in Mexico that have American recognition so I thought that some colleges in the DR might have it also. I'm a native Spanish language speaker, born, raised, schooled in Mexico as well as having studied in Mexican colleges so the language/culture/system will not pose a problem at all. I was wondering what you meant by saying that licenciado, ingeniero and tecnico were different. Different in quality of education?? or what?? Maybe you just assumed I didn't speak Spanish and that I might not know that each of those are a different type of career. I'm curious. Thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In general terms:
"Licenciado" = BA degree in Liberal Arts, Business Admin. Law (some universities give out "doctor" degrees for law, but that is bullschitt (like the UASD). the Real"doctores" in law are graduated from French law schools like Paris VII (Sorbonne) after having written and defended a thesis in French before a panel of judges from the French courts.
"T?cnico" = AA (2 year) degree from a college or university-mostly technical level.
"Ingeniero" = engineering degree. Like my wife: Ingeniero Electro-Mec?nico. It could be Civil, El?ctrico, Electr?nico, Telem?tica, de Sistemas y C?mputos etc etc.

HB:D:D

Last edited:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Hillbilly said:
"Ingeniero" = engineering degree. Like my wife: Ingeniero Electro-Mec?nico. It could be Civil, El?ctrico, Electr?nico, Telem?tica, de Sistemas y C?mputos etc etc.
HB:D:D

I get the impression that there may be more than a few people here in the DR who use the title Ing. before their names, on their business cards for example, who haven't completed an engineering degree. I can't quite put my finger on it but I've seen the title Ing Fulanna Fulanna several times and wound up scratching my head doubting whether that person had the degree backing it up. This would not be unique to the DR by the way. :ermm:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We have a saying for those sorts of people: ?l es un ingeniero diesel---Dice ?l!!:p

HB:D

monster

Oct 16, 2005
Hillbilly said:

LOL .....yeah it was just a curiosity....thanks