My Orange cell Phone (Dominican Card)

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Planning a trip to Toronto and was wondering If my Dominican Pay Card Orange would work in Toronto area.

Larry

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It needs to be unlocked. If you have a good frirnd at Orange, get them to unlock it.

You can also go online, many sites offer unlocking services ($$$) for most GSM phones.

I'm sure you can by pre-paid sim cards in Canada.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I just looked into this for a trip to US. Get your phone unlocked, I've seen places here that sell phones also offering to unlock phones, then hook up with one of the companies that have include prepaid in their offerings in Canada. In the US, Cingular and T-Mobil are good possibilities. I don't know if they are also in Canada, but, if not, there will be something like them Look here for possibilities

http://msxml.webcrawler.com/info.wbcrwl/search/web/Canada+prepaid+SIM

If necessary, you can get paid unlocking instructions for many phones here, including Orange in the Dominican Republic

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/nokiaunlocking.htm

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Gringo, your phone may not be locked.

I was just in our local Orange office asking about using the Orange phone that I previously used in the US with another company. They said they would have to see the phone to tell me. Another customer there at the same time said he took a phone to the US and had no troube using it with another company's SIM card. The Orange employee said, I'm almost certain, that this can be done unless the phone is triband. In that case it would have to be unlocked.

I went and got the phone I plan to use in the US and they said it was not locked, that I could use it with an Orange SIM card or a card of Cingular or T-Mobil in the US.

If you haven't already looked into this, next time you buy a card, do it from an Orange dealer and ask them to check your phone to see if it is locked.

tlc32875

Apr 3, 2006
ok so now i have a question

i have an old sprint phone that i used a long time ago .when i am in the DR i nevr have phone service on my new sprint phone ( sprint service stinks anyway ) so i was wondering if i bring my old phone with me can i get some kind of pre paid card ..or another sim card ..or are there places to either rent a cell phone or buy a cheap one just while on vacation? just curious :)
thanks
tracy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Cheap phones are available, also rental phones. Before doing either, go to an Orange dealer and see about a SIM card and prepaid service. I'm assuming your old Sprint phone is unlocked. If not, you can get instructions on the internet, or from your Sprint dealer. An unlocked CDM phone can easily be used with Orange in the DR.

Kevyboy

May 12, 2005
Your Orange phone won't work here unless you set it to roam. The cost could be high to use it here. You will have to ask Orange there.
If your phone is unlocked and you want to buy a SIM card in Torornto, it will cost about $50 CAD and only Rogers an FIDO use GSM technology (same as Orange). I have both an orange SIM card and Rogers one. The orange one does not work here.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If your Sprint phone is GSM, you can get a sim card and activate it with Orange. However, every Sprint cell phone I have brought to the DR has been activated with Verizon since Sprint uses CDMA technology.

Just got a Sprint phone activated about ten days ago. Took an hour and was free, except for the cost of the card which was loaded into the system.

tlc32875 said:
i have an old sprint phone that i used a long time ago .when i am in the DR i nevr have phone service on my new sprint phone ( sprint service stinks anyway ) so i was wondering if i bring my old phone with me can i get some kind of pre paid card ..or another sim card ..or are there places to either rent a cell phone or buy a cheap one just while on vacation? just curious :)
thanks
tracy