Canadian Embassy

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
Thanks for the link - very informative. One more question - if you have to go for an interview (visitors visa only) would you have to go to Port au Prince or is this done in Santo Domingo?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Nikki Simon said:
Thanks for the link - very informative. One more question - if you have to go for an interview (visitors visa only) would you have to go to Port au Prince or is this done in Santo Domingo?

Definitely in Santo Domingo, not Haiti. I believe interviews are held on Mondays and Thursdays, the same days that applications are accepted. My husband's cousin has to go on May 18 for her Canadian work visa. I believe she has been accepted, but no one will know for sure until the 18th.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
All interviews for any type of visa, including Permanent Residence, are held in Santo Domingo.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
trina said:
Definitely in Santo Domingo, not Haiti. I believe interviews are held on Mondays and Thursdays, the same days that applications are accepted. My husband's cousin has to go on May 18 for her Canadian work visa. I believe she has been accepted, but no one will know for sure until the 18th.

As a follow-up to this post, my husband's cousin went to the Embassy on May 18, where she was sent to the clinic for blood tests. I believe they are going to grant her the visa, if they've sent her for tests! Excellent news...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
All visitors visa's are processed in 2-3 weeks. When you submit the visa and paperwork, if you have all the proper paperwork you will have you nay or yea at the next appointment, which they will book you for at your first appointment. We have 2 of my wife's relatives, teenage girls coming for a visit this summer. The process was relatively easy.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Canadian Embasy in Santo Domingo

trina said:

Please give me the street address/phone no./EMail address for the Canadian Embasy in Santo Domingo.. Thank you very much!. Canadian Bob.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
canadian bob said:
Please give me the street address/phone no./EMail address for the Canadian Embasy in Santo Domingo.. Thank you very much!. Canadian Bob.

My apologies for not spotting the link to all this data... Thanks! Canadian Bob.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
canadian bob said:

From the website link above, here is the info listed:

Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo

Street address:
Capit?n Eugenio de Marchena, No. 39
La Esperilla, Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic

Mailing address:
A.P. 2054
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic

Telephone: 1-200-0012 / 809-685-1136
Fax: 809-682-2691
Email: General: sdmgo@international.gc.ca

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
trina said:
From the website link above, here is the info listed:

Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo

Street address:
Capit?n Eugenio de Marchena, No. 39
La Esperilla, Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic

Mailing address:
A.P. 2054
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic

Telephone: 1-200-0012 / 809-685-1136
Fax: 809-682-2691
Email: General: sdmgo@international.gc.ca

No problem - you answered yourself before I caught it and posted. Oh well, for anyone else who needs it, above is the info. Good luck!

Rina2

May 23, 2006
Who Decides?

I wanted to know who decides if a Visitors Visa to Canada is granted or refused. Is it the Dominican government or the Canadian government?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Rina2 said:
I wanted to know who decides if a Visitors Visa to Canada is granted or refused. Is it the Dominican government or the Canadian government?

The Canadian government. They are trying to be sure, when granting a visa, that the "visitor" is likely to return to their country of origin by the end of the term of the "visitor's" visa. I think we all know that few would return to the DR if visas were granted to the very poor population of the country. However, I think if many Dominican spouses were allowed to visit the country before getting married, there may not be so many broken marriages.

Rina2

May 23, 2006
Trina!

I was asking around and i think it actually may be the DR govt. that does the rejecting. The Canadian govt. is begging for immigrants-advertising in other countries for people to come here. Except for the big cities-Canada is relatively empty.
Besides, the Canadian govt. can go after the sponsor for the responsibility of the visitor.

The DR govt. on the other hand does not want to lose all it's citizens which they believe would happen if anyone could easily get out.

I could be wrong. I have a friend who works for the Canadian Immigration. I've been meaning to call her for some time now-i will ask her.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Ummmmmmmmmmmm....no. It is true that the Canadian government is looking for qualified immigrants to come to our country, the key word being qualified. People who are productive and will help our economy, rather than hinder it. The government does not need people who do not speak either official language that will be a threat to our social welfare and generous (however - leaving a lot to be desired) health care system. You will notice that the government is definitely not advertising in 3rd-World countries for qualified immigrants. They are looking for people who are professionals in their own countries who will qualify on the POINTS system, not bellboys, motoconchos, prostitutes, or even good dancers. There are a lot of Dominicans who are qualified to come here, and have visas. However, if they are rejected for a visa, it is the Canadian government saying that they will be a burden to our economy if they don't leave once the visa has expired. Whether they will be a burden remains to be seen (and believe me, I know of a lot of not highly-educated, very productive Dominicans who have made their way to Canada), however, they are rarely given the opportunity, unless they come by way of Family-Class Visa.

Rina2 said:
Trina!

I was asking around and i think it actually may be the DR govt. that does the rejecting. The Canadian govt. is begging for immigrants-advertising in other countries for people to come here. Except for the big cities-Canada is relatively empty.
Besides, the Canadian govt. can go after the sponsor for the responsibility of the visitor.

The DR govt. on the other hand does not want to lose all it's citizens which they believe would happen if anyone could easily get out.

I could be wrong. I have a friend who works for the Canadian Immigration. I've been meaning to call her for some time now-i will ask her.

Rina2

May 23, 2006
So what do you think,Trina?

I have a friend who will be applying for a Visitor's visa shortly, but he owns no property or business. He does, however, have a job doing welding and some electrical (only a little formal training/education in that field) with a friend who owns the business. It is basically the two of them. He has his passport and a bank account open. He has no kids or dependants that he is leaving behind.

What do think are his chances? Any advice?

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What Trina said is 100 % correct. People apply to the Canadian Government when they fill an application not the Dominican government.

Don't ask around if you have a friend that works at Immigration Canada.

Click for info Visitor's Visa

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
In my opinion only, qualifiers that the government will look for are:
(a) ownership of a house and land in the DR
(b) a "professional" job that pays close to what we'd expect to earn in Canada - meaning doctor, successful lawyer, dentist, business owner, etc. They would also need a contract, if they are working for someone else, stating that they are expected to return to their position once returned to the DR
(c) money in the bank to sustain oneself while in Canada - not opened and deposited yesterday, but bank account open and active with sufficient $$$ over several years
(d) family in the DR (such as spouse and children) to return to

I cannot say for sure, but I would say his chances are not good. They are very quick with the "deny" stamp, especially if they think they will be going to visit a girlfriend (not saying you are his girlfriend) in Canada. These are the ones who don't normally leave.

Now, if I may offer a little advice...do you know of a business owner that requires a welder? It is not hard to prove to the government anymore that the need for foreign workers is great. If you can petition a business to think about hiring a Dominican, have them do up a job offer contract, and offer your friend a job. Once confirmation has been received by the business owner from the Government that he qualifies to bring in foreign workers, your friend can then apply for a work visa. It costs $130 US (plus $4400 RD for a medical if approved), and he will need sufficient funds in the bank to show that he will have money to return if the contract doesn't work out (the business owner may have the onus of providing two-way transportation, depending on how the contract is written). He will also need letters of reference from previous employers stating that he is qualified to fill the position. The whole process takes a couple of months, I believe, from start to finish. My husband's cousin is in wait of a visa at this moment. See this thread for more info:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49470

Rina2 said:
So what do you think,Trina?-I have a friend who will be applying for a Visitor's visa shortly but he owns no property or business. He does, however, have a job doing welding and some electrical (no formal training/education in that field) with a friend who owns the business. It is basically the two of them. What do think are his chances. Any advice? He has his passport and a bank account open.