as cheap as VOIP is ever gonna be

Tony Straight

Dec 27, 2005
Tried Skype...

a few weeks ago here in the US. Using cable (road runner), no other applications running, and it was lousy. I could hear the other person OK (sounded like she was at the bottom of a well), but she could only hear about every other word I said. It stunk. I emailed Skype and they did give me my money back so I guess I got what I paid for.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What money you talking about Tony, a payment for Skype Out? The basic Skype, computer to computer, is free.

I use Skype Out to call people in the US who don't have Skype on their computer. Occasionally there are problems, but usually it works fine. And even if there is an occasional problem, I think it is an excellent value. 2.2 cents per minute is what it costs to call a telephone in the US from your computer in the DR.

A son in the US is in international business and uses Skype all the time for calls to France, Belagium, Germany and elsewhere. He calls free because the people he is dealing with also use Skype for their business calls.

If you give up on something because of one unsatisfactory experience, you are missing out on a lot of good deals.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Get www.voipstunt.com
depsit 10 euros and now your calls to usa, canada, western europe, south america and as far as a few asian countries are free. Your 10 euros are used up if you call countries out of the plan.
So tell me this, why in the hell would you want to pay 2.2 cents to call USA when its all free through voipstunt? By the way, voipstunt also uses skype to make calls.
AZB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I deal with customers in other countries daily - slowly I'm converting them all to Skype - we can talk, chat and send files all at the same time.
I have voicemail on Skype.
I call whoever else has Skype for free.
I can do a conference call with a few clicks of the mouse.
I can forward my Skype calls to my cell phone and pay just the Skype-out rate.
Those without Skype, I have to pay the 2.2 cents (my father in law who is 93 and who I will not get converted now, and a few others).
The Skype Business plan let's me manage four or five Skype accounts from one place.
Toll-free numbers are free - I don't pay for calling 800 numbers which we call frequently for technical support.
Our business phone bill has come down from around US$450 month to around US$60 per month.
I'm smiling.
Yes, there are other voip companies, but I think Skype is top of the log for now, both for the individual user, as well as for the business user.

(I'm going to kill myself if my main computer crashes .. )

And I forgot to say, the quality is excellent for the most part .. now and again a call is garbled, but it happens very infrequently.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chris said:
I can do a conference call with a few clicks of the mouse.

Although I haven't had occasion to use it, I think the ability to make a conference call to 4 people plus yourself is a great feature, especially since it makes no difference whether one or more of the 4 are using a regular phone, a cell phone, a computer, a pocket PC.

I don't think it will be long before you can have a video conference call instead of just video with another person.

Skype has a new version available, 2.5 beta. No problems with it so far.