Expired Orange SIM

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
If you fail to top up your Orange SIM card in the DR after 'x' days and then your SIM card expires, is it possible to reactivate the SIM with the same phone number if you pay?

Thanks
Daydream

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My answer is not the last word, but I do know that people I know who spend part of the year here either have a new number each year or have a friend keep their phone activated during their absence.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I do not think that you can reactivate the card; however Orange will give you the same number if it is available. This can only be done at an Orange office, not an agent.

Chuckuindy

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
you can now bring your orange sim to the usa, plug it into a phone, have a friend send you an orange card, load it and use it here. this will signal the orange network that that number is in use and you will never loose that number.

but to answer your question - it's 3 months after you load the card into the sim.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
El Tigre said:
you can now bring your orange sim to the usa, plug it into a phone, have a friend send you an orange card, load it and use it here. this will signal the orange network that that number is in use and you will never loose that number.

but to answer your question - it's 3 months after you load the card into the sim.

That is great information for someone like me.
Thanks

Chuckuindy

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
another way

Don't wait three months to return to the DR. I little more expensive but a lot more fun.

JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
But

El Tigre said:

when I try to use it in the USA the screen shows "No signal" so how are you showing Orange that you are using the phone?
JOHN

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Thanks

Thank you for all your responses.

I had a friend topping up my phone with credit every 6 weeks however because the phone wasn't actually switched on and no calls were made, the SIM expired. (You can top up another persons phone without actually having to have the phone on you now).

So, I was hoping that instead of buying another SIM for 300 pesos, I could just pay the same and keep my number. I will go to the Orange shop in Puerto Plata when I am back in a couple of weeks and see whether they have sold the number to someone else....if so, then that person has been receiving free credit every 6 weeks - they must be wondering what's going on!!

When I try turning the phone on in the UK it just comes up with a message saying no network found or something along those lines. We have Orange over here too but I can't seem to get the DR Orange SIM to work.

I am usually back to the DR within 3 mths so haven't had to worry about expired SIM cards before.....I thought getting a friend to top it up for me would solve the problem but obviously I was mistaken.

Anyway, thanks again for your advice.....just wondered whether anyone else had the same problem. I will visit Orange when I arrive and see what they have to say.

Daydream

KeithUK

Feb 8, 2006
I have the same problem, my orange card wont work here in the UK ( North Wales) As you said, there is a good Orange Network here but Dominican Orange Sims will not work. I will need to buy another when I return next week because my last visit was at Christmas. I too will make some enquiries about keeping the same number/reactivating expired simms.
Regards
Keith

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
If you keep your account topped up you should still have your old number, wether your phone is turned on or not.
I have been doing this for 3 years now. I leave the DR at the end of April and return some time in November. My phone is never turned on or used during my absence. The top up money accumulates and carries over, if you top up before the expiry.
The first year I did this, I left my Sim Card with the Orange office in Sosua, bought several cards and they loaded it for me. The following year, it was possible to do this from my home telephone (Canada) but last year this was no longer possible for some reason. I had a friend top it up instead.
When I left Cabarete last month they told me that world wide roaming would be available in 2-3 months. That would probably mean that you can use your phone anywhwere and top it up at home. I usually bring three 300 pesos cards back with me.
I still have the same number.:bunny: