You can now use your Orange phone in the USA

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Orange is advertising that they now have ROAMING to 100 countries.

I also hear that this is only on PRE-PAID service (with an Orange Card)

In my case (I am in NY):

You will need T-Mobile or Cingular service in order to do this.

I brought my SIM card back with me on the my last trip. Plugged it in to my Cingular phone (phone that I also use down in the DR - a w600i after having it unlocked down there). When I plugged it in it said NO SERVICE. You have to go to the option where you select NETWORK. In my phone it shows two available networks T-Mobile & Cingular. I choose Cingular (never chosen t-mobile but a friend that has t-mobile chooses this network when doing this). When I do this it says PLEASE WAIT for a few seconds then the ORANGE logo appears and right underneath it says CINGULAR.

That simple. You call people in the DR after that and your DR number will appear on their caller ID. Some friends have thought that I am down in the DR when I'm in fact in NY.

Another issue this takes care of is you LOOSING your number. As many of you know if Orange deactivates a pre-paid account if you don't use it for three months. This happens to a lot of folks that don't travel as often as I or others on here. Soooo when I use my phone here with Orange roaming it is registering to the Orange network that it is a live account and therefore they won't deactivate it.

Another thing to note is that it is VERY EXPENSIVE to call DR from here (NY) using the Orange roaming. I usually place 2 to 3 1 minute calls a week to keep the phone "ALIVE". When my balance is about to run out I contact a relative/friend to buy me a 100 peso card, pump it in and wallaaaa your service period is extended.

You can go to the Orange website for more details.

Good day!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If I call your DR number from here, would I be billed as a regular cell call and you will receive the call free?
How does that work?
AZB

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
AZB said:
If I call your DR number from here, would I be billed as a regular cell call and you will receive the call free?
How does that work?
AZB

If you call my DR number while I'm in NY from the DR it will be like a normal Orange to Orange call if you use Orange. However I will be hit with the roaming charges.