Traveling around the DR for the first time: Looking for advice on specific matters:

sberemski

May 18, 2006
Hi everyone,
I am flying into Puerto Plata on the 19 June and then leaving on the 17 July with a bunch of friends. We will stay for a few days in Cabarete to do some kite surfing but we also want to exaplore other areas of the DR. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction:

What is the hostel situation like? Does the DR cater for back packers on a budget?

Can you kite in other places other than around Cabarete?

Any good out-of-the (not near the resorts) way beaches or places to visit?

IS it possible to camp by the beach anywhere?

We will probably want to go inland for a few days. What are the places to see? Bonao? Heard about waterfalls and rivers which sounds cool. Anything else to do?

Thanks a lot guys :)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Places to put on your list:

Damajagua (Imbert, Puerto Plata -- walk up the hill to slide down the 27 falls -- guide can be booked at the Damajagua guides at the side of the road -- go early). Puerto Plata has plenty small low cost hotels.

Samana (lots of low cost hotels). El Limon Cascade. Playa Cozon and Playa Bonita. Also Portillo beach is good for kiting. Playa Rincon. Take the ferry to cross over to Sabana de la Mar.

Ca?o Hondo hotel in Sabana de la Mar. Los Haitises. Miches and visit Playa Esmeralda (near La Mina).

Macao beach. Bavaro, Cortecito and Cabeza de Toro beaches. Take the Sitrabapu commuter buses.

Boca de Yuma town. Take the boat trip up the river, visit the La Playita across from the river mouth, and visit the Ponce de Leon house in San Rafael de Yuma.

Bayahibe. Book a snorkeling tour to Catalinita island with a stopover on one of the beaches of Saona Island. Dominicus beach (between Iberostar and Viva Palace).

La Romana. Altos de Chavon.

Santo Domingo (colonial city).

Constanza. Stay at one of the small hotels and book an excursion to Aguas Blancas falls.

Jarabacoa. River rafting with the Rancho Baiguate people.

Santiago. Centro Leon for insights into Dominican culture.

Puerto Plata -- visit to the Victorian city and the Isabel de Torres botanical garden (skylift trip).

Last day on Sosua beach, right next to the Puerto Plata airport.

For more information on these spots, see http://www.dr1.com/travel

Some hotel recommendations at http://dr1.com/directories/index.shtml#Hotels_Resorts

Last edited:

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Dolores, congratulations on compiling such an interesting itinerary! The only other spot in Puerto Plata that might be of historical interest is the Fort San Felipe on the newly refurbished Malecon...Canadian Bob.

sberemski

May 18, 2006
Thanks for the great info :)

If you could only see three things what would they be? (I am interested in amazing landscapes and natural adventure as well as proximity to Cabarate or Puerto Plata).

Thanks again. You have been really helpfull!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
3 things close to Puerto Plata/Cabarete:

1) Cable car to the top of Isabela de Torres
2) Damajagua falls
3) Sosua beach

Having said that, and adding a few days for kite surfing........ now what are you going to do with the other 3 weeks? You could probably see every place on Dolores' list in the time you have. I'd recommend a few days in Jarabacoa. Besides the rafting there is kayaking, cascading the falls, and hiking. No Europian style hostels that I know of, but lots of cheap hotels

sberemski

May 18, 2006
Its true that I shall be there for a long time but I am planning to do quite a bit of kitesurfing.

How easy is it to get around in the DR? Are buses a good idea?