Seeking Product for Patio Surface

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The condominium where I live in Sosua wants to redo the large patio/walkway in front of the building. Presently concrete with brick trim, but in bad condition and needs to be replaced.

We want something that is attractive, yet durable, easy to keep clean, and that doesn't get slippery when wet.

One thing suggested is field stone, but we would like other options to consider. Any suggestions anyone has as to what to use, and also an idea as to where to buy any products that are suggested will be appreciated.

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
the stamped concrete is nice. there is a product that sherman-williams sells called shark grip to add to the sealer to make it non slip. works great i use it on all the pool decks that i pour. i'm sure they have a web site.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
We put non-slip tile directly over the concrete in our whole backyard. We got the tile (through a Contractor) from Ochoa's in Santiago. It looks like flagstone & we are very pleased with it. It is easy to sweep/wash clean. Canadian Bob.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the suggestions.

Canadian Bob, we are going to Ochoa in Santiago next week to see what is available. Your advance info is very helpful.

Sosuajames, is stamped concrete a product, or do you pour the concrete and put in a mold to make the desired design as it hardens?

I saw what I think may stamped concrete in the central park in Puerto Plata. My concern was that the indented design seemed to be a collecting place for dust, dirt and other debris and that this would make it hard to keep clean

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
ken
the moulds are laid overtop of the freshly placed concrete before it gets too hard. i believe the sidewalk out front of harrisons in sosua was stamped. the sosua bay hotel has it at the main entrance as well. i have my own website but everytime i put the name out it gets deleted. i find the split stone hurts my feet and can be sharp if barefoot. if you are going to tile it, you will still need to replace the existing concrete so now you will need to have two different trades in bringing the costs up (concrete placers & tile setters) the stamped concrete is all done by the same guy and if you phoned the concrete plant in puerto plata, i think they would be able to turn you on to a reputable dealer (at least thats how it works here in canada). if you want to see some just type stamped concrete into your search engine or pm me for my web address. my site is nothing fancy just a picture gallery.