moving to cabarete

momita

May 17, 2006
Hi
two months ago i spent most beautyful time in Cabarete.And I'M going again in June.The Truth is that I can not live without Dom.Rep anymore.
I have been thinking about moving there for good.
But problem is ...that I don't know how to do that.
I have some ideas.I would like buy a land or property and start my own business????
Could someone tell me what is real life in Dom Rep.
I know just holiday side.:cheeky:

Kisses:cool:
Momita

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
momita said:
Hi
two months ago i spent most beautyful time in Cabarete.And I'M going again in June.The Truth is that I can not live without Dom.Rep anymore.
I have been thinking about moving there for good.
But problem is ...that I don't know how to do that.
I have some ideas.I would like buy a land or property and start my own business????
Could someone tell me what is real life in Dom Rep.
I know just holiday side.:cheeky:
Oh boy!

Firstly, welcome to DR1.

Secondly, don't buy any property or commit any money to starting a business until you've spent some time living in the DR.

Thirdly, spend lots and lots of time reading through some of the old threads on DR1. You can use the search option to find some basic information.

You will quickly find out that living/working/running a business in the DR is not a simple task.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What Ed said, live there for at least 6 months full time or more before you jump on anything and I do mean anything.;)

Reality isn't as great as a vacation and you need to find out for yourself if you can still love the reality.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
AnnaC said:
What Ed said, live there for at least 6 months full time or more before you jump on anything and I do mean anything.;)
Then jump on him for an additional 6 months before committing any money down here.;)

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
AI is a Non Reality Show

2 Months in Cabarete is not real Dominican life. Go Slow. It isnt all that you think . Some things are even better and some things are worse. You have to know what you aer getting into.

It is a different culture and a third world way of life surrounding you.

Spend more than a few weeks heer before you make your decision and do it OFF the resorts. Don't stay in a AI. It is NOT reality .

If I can help in any Way .Lemme know
We have an apartment in Gaspar hernandez which could open your eyes on a few issues

JOJO

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
If you read the OP again, you'll see she was in Caberete for "a beautiful time" 2 months AGO, not for 2 MONTHS. More than likely a week or two's holiday.

Follow the advice given here momita. I too started thinking about living in the DR after my first vacation. After 4 years and 13 trips I'm still planning, preparing and saving for a move I hope to make in 2 or 3 more years. I'm sure there will still be major adjustments once I get there.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Unlike the above posters (which I respect greatly) I'm of the opinion that if you want to do it just dive right in. I'm moving to the DR in a couple of months and have a lot of information if you'd like to PM me. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
I am in the process of moving down myself. To be honest I purged my life of everything. I am down to four trunks and a suit case for everything I own. I have a good balance in the bank and a pension and I am under 40 so DR here I come.
John

pol73

May 21, 2006
Glad to hear it!

I've obviously done it all wrong- having accepted a teaching position in La Romana without EVER having visited the DR! I am 33-feeling 63 and frazzled by a few years' stressful teaching and living in the UK All I can say is that you only regret the things you never did-nothing ventured, nothing gained and numerous other cliches in an attempt to convince myself that I have of course, done the right thing!! Time will tell- and two years is nothing in the grand scheme of things... is it?

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I have been to LaRomana and it should be a good experience for you. I look forward to hearing about your experiences as well. I would definitely suggest reading up a lot because you should have some basic idea of the do's and dont's at least to get you started.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
What an maroon

jackieboo said:
Unlike the above posters (which I respect greatly) I'm of the opinion that if you want to do it just dive right in. I'm moving to the DR in a couple of months and have a lot of information if you'd like to PM me. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

I am, doing all of this planning and saving!:eek: Thank you jackieboo for reminding me that we can have anything we want in this world by just "diving in". I'm leaving for a vacation in the DR in 2 weeks, so I think I'll just give my notice when I go in to work tomorrow and make it permenant. Whoo Hoo!!!:bunny:

Never mind ;)

Having a pre-arranged job at an English language school like pol73 is a rare thing indeed, and I too wish you well. I'm looking forward to visiting La Romana again next month, and it is on my list of prospective places to live when I move.

jsizemore, thank you for your service. Besides the pension, I'm sure you are prepared to do something like this in a lot of ways those of us who have lived relatively cushy civilian lives aren't.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
jackieboo said:
I never advised Momita that she shouldn't move to the DR. I said she shouldn't buy any property or commit any money to starting a business until she spent some time living in the DR.

I think everyone should follow their dreams. I was just advising her that she should do it with her eyes open rather than closed.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
pol73 said:
I've obviously done it all wrong- having accepted a teaching position in La Romana without EVER having visited the DR!
What's wrong with that?

It would have been unwise if you bought property or invested in a business before spending some time in the country.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Rellosk,

I believe those were responses to my post. Your response to the OP was indeed quite "gentle", and your advice sound.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
I have many Ideas but as I have been warned on DR1 and by people personally do not invest money right away. I am going to spedm a month in July pedaling around on a bike. Then around October come back for the winter.
I would make the move completly now but m mom has a 106 year old building that I will be restoring over the next two summers so I will be spending a few months stateside each year for a while.
As far as service I finished a year ago. I am working as a contractor now for my DR nest egg. Contract is up in June.
John

missp

May 19, 2006
Just wanted to add that I agree some things in life (like upping sticks and moving to another country) can never be completely thought out and prepared for - there is just too much that you will never know until you live in a place and get to know all the quirks. I have spent enough time thinking about going to DR and making odd visits to know this! But now I'm also taking the plunge and coming over in Sept for 6 months with a friend. We have both 'purged' as somebody put it and got rid of a lot of baggage. We are also starting out in La Romana and then just going to take it from there. Hopefully 6 months will be long enough to get a proper feel for the DR and decide if moving permanently / buying / working etc would be a good move long term.

I hope it all works out for you's! Would be interested to find out how your getting on so keep posting as you go! (and i will too)

MissP

momita

May 17, 2006
Hi Pampkins!!!
You got me.Now I don't what I want:ermm:
Well anyway I'm going in june for a while.
I will try meet some local outsiders;)
I know one think I have to try by myself even if it hurt.
Hopefuly I am sankyproof:bunny: