The Home Broken Into In Sosua area...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
a few nights/days ago. I read about this on another website. They came in with people and big dogs at home. Took laptops and other items. This is crazy.
Now I'm thinking you gotta have a gun here. I understand they were trying to break in the bathroom where the woman and her daughter had sought refuge. At that moment the police came along with sirens blazen and the scum retreated. The particulars of the story I may not have right. I skimmed over it. But damn, went right over the dogs and into the home. What can you do?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This is a scary situation. I would get a gun, kill the tigres while they are in your house to make your point come across to the thugs. Then threaten to kill anyone who will come after you. This is the only way things work around here.
AZB

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
AZB said:
This is a scary situation. I would get a gun, kill the tigres while they are in your house to make your point come across to the thugs. Then threaten to kill anyone who will come after you. This is the only way things work around here.
AZB

Aztab, you forgot one thing, and that is befriend at least one police colonel, who can help with the cleanup afterwards....

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I haven't heard anything of this yet, but it's my guess, that if they came over the dogs, the dogs weren't the type of dogs needed for the job.
There are a lot of things to consider in making your own security perimeter, but good dogs are usually the strongest part of your defense.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Snuffy said:
a few nights/days ago. I read about this on another website. They came in with people and big dogs at home. Took laptops and other items. This is crazy.
Now I'm thinking you gotta have a gun here. I understand they were trying to break in the bathroom where the woman and her daughter had sought refuge. At that moment the police came along with sirens blazen and the scum retreated. The particulars of the story I may not have right. I skimmed over it. But damn, went right over the dogs and into the home. What can you do?
THey beat up the dogs with sticks and a machete. Had to be on drugs. Nobody normal would have dared it. Scary stuff that they tried to get at the woman and her child in the bathroom. As AZB says, get a gun and start shooting. These druggies have to be stopped.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I have considered several houses to rent but keep backing away realizing just how dangerous a house would be unless it were in an area where I could not afford to live. But then again, I know an older lady over in Metropolitano, Santiago who was lured to unlatch her door to give a drink of water. When she did they came in, beat her, and robbed the place.

After being robbed myself...I remember not to long ago being on here saying that it will probably never happen to you....I was to smug...we had been here for five years and nothing happened.

This has become a much more dangerous place. MommC was right.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Snuffy said:
This has become a much more dangerous place. MommC was right.
No way.
Before ever having the internet or even having a TV, I used to hear of more crime in Sosua, just by word of mouth.
Now that it is there in print for you to read, you think it's rampant.
Pick up a crime tabloid from your home city and you'll realize how much safer it is here.
That being said, we have to do everything we can to diminish the existing crime, make it difficult for the Crack addicts, etc, as the police service is inadequate.
People move here, and despite being advised to tighten up on security, they often don't want to, and then get robbed.
They land up enabling criminals to ply their trade.
We have to make it more difficult & scary for them.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Your home is your home

And you should never feel in jeopardy of your security. If that is the case..... either you made a bad decision one way or another..... money or stupidity it' s your own fault.

Growing up in New York, I could walk 5 miles at 3 a.m. just like I can now living in Florida.

I would never live in a place I had to look behind my shoulder.... no way.

May 12, 2005
2 best home defense/crime deterents a big dog and a shotgun. If the tigueres make past the dog, the shotgun will stop them in their tracks. Just hearing the sound of the shotgun being "racked" will cause them to sh*t their pants.

G

gary short

Frank the Tank said:
2 best home defense/crime deterents a big dog and a shotgun. If the tigueres make past the dog, the shotgun will stop them in their tracks. Just hearing the sound of the shotgun being "racked" will cause them to sh*t their pants.

I'm with you on the shotgun concept. Purchasing and registering a gun as a gringo property owner isn't a big deal? Or do you have to get the weapon on the sly, shoot the intruder and let God clean up the mess?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
gary short said:
I'm with you on the shotgun concept. Purchasing and registering a gun as a gringo property owner isn't a big deal? Or do you have to get the weapon on the sly, shoot the intruder and let God clean up the mess?
If you get a gun on the "Sly" make sure you don't buy it from a cop. They are notorious for having these available but will be the first ones to rat on you. Get it legal and if need be, use it. Just make sure you drag the body inside the house and plant a weapon on it. Better still, if no witnesses, take the body and dump in in shark land.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
If you have 'residencia definitiva' (which foreigners call permanent residency) you have the legal right to purchase a licensed pistol or shotgun.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Rocky, you may be right. I have just been robbed, so am biased. Trying to put my experience aside, I still believe that crime is on the rise. You need some mean dogs...at least two. I saw one house in Las Canas...the guy had about six dogs. I was walking by the house and suddenly this herd of dogs came running toward the fence. It was intimidating even with the fence.

Does anyone here train guard dogs? I'm talking from the time they are a puppy.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Woof...

Snuffy said:
Rocky, you may be right. I have just been robbed, so am biased. Trying to put my experience aside, I still believe that crime is on the rise. You need some mean dogs...at least two. I saw one house in Las Canas...the guy had about six dogs. I was walking by the house and suddenly this herd of dogs came running toward the fence. It was intimidating even with the fence.

You can't believe how often I got robbed, when I first moved here.
It was like a national past-time around here.
Big bad dogs make all the difference.
Nothing is 100% secure, not even Fort Knox, but you really put the odds in your favour, if you have a bad azz dog, and people know it.
While Rocky was alive, nobody and I mean, nobody, dared to think of robbing me.
Bruno (our Ridgeback), as nice & friendly as he is, will surely be ready, willing & able, the day somebody comes over the wall.
I don't think you need special training, but if you do, there are many dog trainers around.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
training a guard dog

Snuffy said:

Training a guard dog is actually pretty easy. Some breeds have that instinct from birth if borught up properly within 1 year you can have a killing machine to guard your property. Keep in mind if you plan on having more than one I suggest getting them at the same time as they will be VERY territorial and probably will kill each other if they dont grow up together.

Typically a pit bull terrier or rotweiller is a breed of this type.

Rule 1: NOBODY feeds the dog besides you. you will have to keep testing and teaching the animal not to accept food that is not given to it in its bowl by you. This is a common problem with dogs and can be a big problem because dogs love treats but if the dog is reprimanded when accepting food outside its bowl or from another person it will eventually learn not to accept it. This helps prevent the problem of someone else poisoning your dog before attempting to come inside.

Rule 2: NOBODY else touches the dog. Keep the dog away from other people. You will at times need someone to watch the dog so you might want 1 or 2 other people to be near it as a puppy during its first year or 2 but not many people. This way the dog doesnt trust outsiders.

Rule 3: dog must remain inside its area to protect. i understand people wanting to bring their dog outside with them but you must have an enclosed or fenced in area on your property for it to do its business so it doesnt leave messes all over your house as you will also be training it to go outside to urinate etc.

With this as a sample basis after about a year your dog should protect your property from outsiders by instinct. you should also invest in a protective suit used by trainers to cover a persons entire body and a helmet and arrange for someone to test your dog if possible. have them put on the suit and come on your property to see how your dog reacts to it.

always encourage your dog when it does the right things and reprimand it ( if you yell loudly from the time they are puppies this can be enough if not a reinforcement collar might be needed).

Remember training a dog requires time and effort like anything else but hiring a trainer to teach it to walk by your side, sit and shake paw isnt going to make a feared guard dog.

Personally I think having 2 guard dogs and the shotgun is the best idea. Let the dogs alert you someone is there and if it is an intruder shoot first and ask questions later.

G

gary short

Sounds like a hassle. Why not have a motion detector activate a tape recording of some big mean dogs growling.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
seeing the dogs is just as important as hearing them. some of the meanest dogs actually make no noise. they hope you come onto their property just so they can get a piece of you.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Beads said:
seeing the dogs is just as important as hearing them. some of the meanest dogs actually make no noise. they hope you come onto their property just so they can get a piece of you.
That's how Rocky was.
He could go a whole year without actually barking, but managed to get many a tasty morsel in his mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.