How do YOU get mail in the DR?

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
I've searched old threads and haven't come across this question. Since I'm planning to move in a couple of months I need to know what is the best way to receive mail. I know there isn't a postal delivery system in the DR, so what do you do to receive your mail? Do you use a postal box and if so where in the Cabarete/Sosua area? Do you use a U.S. address and then have the mail Fedex'ed? I'd really like to hear what you do with your incomming mail. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Receiving Mail

jackieboo said:
.... there isn't a postal delivery system in the DR, so what do you do to receive your mail? ....

Well, a postal service does exist and my mail arrives here at the local post office where I collect it from time to time.

Important mail should be sent as registered mail, so far it has reached me each and every time.

Documents can be sent by courier services.

Most mail nowadays is done via emails which limits the problem considerably.

The outgoing mail is done most reliably by tourists.

m'frog

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
There is a government Postal Service, INPOSDOM, but it is a disaster. I use Business Mail in Santo Domingo. They have an office in Puerto Plata:

Plaza Turisol, local # 33
Primer M?dulo,
Carretera Luperon KM. 2, Puerto Plata, R.D.

http://www.businessmailweb.com/english/contacto.htm

They give you a mail address in Miami and you pick up your mail at their office for a small fee.

There are other private mail services. Perhaps other members can give you the details on them.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
jackieboo said:
I've searched old threads and haven't come across this question. Since I'm planning to move in a couple of months I need to know what is the best way to receive mail. I know there isn't a postal delivery system in the DR, so what do you do to receive your mail? Do you use a postal box and if so where in the Cabarete/Sosua area? Do you use a U.S. address and then have the mail Fedex'ed? I'd really like to hear what you do with your incomming mail. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

YOU DON'T ....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DON'T TRUST IT....EVERYTHING GETS LOST AND THEY DON'T KNOW WHERE IT GOES. MIGHT AS WELL USE SMOKE SIGNALS.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
There is a very reliable business mail service in POP but I forgot the name, you have stuff sent to a US address and they will forward it to their office here. I think its called EPS but I could be wrong, and I think there is another one too. I will find out on Monday.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Business Mail is a reliable service with a pretty good track record.

they have offices in POP, Stgo, Sto Dgo and other cities..

They are in the phone book/

you have your mail sent to Miami and they forward it here to you.

I have not used Dominican mails for over 15 years...

HB

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Merry Christmas!

Last week I went to my PO Box and found a Christmas card waiting for me. That's not bad for around here - only 6 months late. I'm still waiting for around a dozen more cards that I know were sent. my Mum sent Nicky a pile of maternity clothes that just never arrived either but they could get here in time for the next baby!

In the UK it is a VERY serious crime to interfere with the Royal Mail. I think the deterent of a very long jail term works very well. Here, they need to take a bit of pride in what they do.

I've said this before - bills and bank statements arrive in days, the sorters know that there's no money in the envelopes. Get your friends to send letters in brown envelopes and if you want to be really clever you can print some official looking stuff onto the envelope first. The letter will be here in days.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
jackieboo said:

Actually, for some strange reason the state postal service has been working reallly well for me lately and I have been receiving letters from the US within a week of their posting. But I have never seen the mailman. Still, I wouldnt depend on them for the mails. You should get an account with EPS and you can both send and receive mail pretty quickly and reliably. everything is tracked and you receive email notifications. You pay 500 pesos annually and a cost per weight of the packages and letters, but much cheaper than UPS or FEDEX.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Business Mail ! ! ! ! Hillybilly has it right.

I concur with Hillbilly. I've used Business Mail [POP] for 3 -4 years. Exc. service! Nothing ever gets lost nor stolen. I receive 3 - 5 medications monthly from Walgreens, via the USA Post Office & BusMail. Near flawless!
* Pleasant & efficient help. Many speak some English.
* Great asset: not everyone goes home every day for 2 hours, 12:00 to 2:00 - as in nearly all DR businesses.
* +, - it's open on Saturday AM.
* Also, you can send articles via FedEx to the real world.
* I have nothing but praise. Prices? I consider the annual service price ,which I pay - rather than by the piece, quite reasonable. Freight? Defined as ANYTHING that weighs more than 1 lb. Freight is quite expensive, in my opinion. 1 satisfied American's opinion.