shipping

pol73

May 21, 2006
Could anybody give me any advice on actually getting stuff to DR. I will be moving to La Romana in August on a 2 year teaching contract. I have been told that the school will pay an extra 20kg of baggage, which i thought would give me 60kg total-but was alarmed to be told that trans-atlantic flights have recently cut the baggage allowance to 20kg in line with European flights- Having read a number of related threads on here and tripadvisor I'm now worrying how I manage to bring my life in 2 suitcases-towels, sheets, pots, pans, knives, clothes, medicines, underwear! (not to mention shoes- I am a girl after all!) I was wondering whether it would be worthwhile having some stuff shipped over? Has anyone had stuff shipped from the UK before- and if so how reliable/expensive/promt is it? Ther are many things I can live without for a while, but two years...? Thanks. P .

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Personal Stuff

pol73 said:
Could anybody give me any advice on actually getting stuff to DR.
It all depends how much you want to bring.
Compare excess luggage rates to air freight.
Shipping a crate (sea freight) might be cheaper but involve more hassle with customs.
During the first six months with your residencia provisional you are entitled to import household goods on special duty terms, thus a container might even be worthwhile ...

m'frog