is it ok to go to cuba from DR ?

saint_72

May 22, 2006
hey quick question, i'll be visiting DR soon and was wondering if its ok to go to cuba from DR ?

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
No, but Yes...

saint_72 said:
hey quick question, i'll be visiting DR soon and was wondering if its ok to go to cuba from DR ?
If you're an American, it's illegal. Nevertheless, Americans still go, illegally.

-Helpmann :)

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
And if you are a US citizen with dual Dominican citizenship (meaning you were born in the DR, left to USA and became a USA citizen) you can take out a Dominican passport and go with that (DR passport).

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
saint_72 said:

I am assuming that you are American. It is okay for the dominican authorities for you to go to cuba but it is illegal by american authorities for you to go to cuba through any country.

Like every other illegal thing in the world, the trick is that you do not get caught. Entry to cuba requires a tourist card. So when you get to the airport (Jose Marti), just tell the customs that 'No quiero que estampe mi pasaporte. Soy de los estados unidos'. 'I don't want you to stamp my passport. I am from the USA'. They understand and will simply nod their head and grant your request. You don't even need to secretely pass any folded dollar bill. It is done for free. Every american that breaks the travel ban is a victory for the bearded one.

As long as your passport is not stamped there is no evidence that you have ever been there and you will be okay. It will be 'wet foot, dry land'. Some other countries have US customs pre-clearance facility and there is the possibilty that if you are on a connecting flight to the USA through the transit county from cuba, US customs can figure it out (i.e the bahamas). I do not believe that is the situation with the dominican republic/

Hasta la victoria siempre

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
El Tigre said:
And if you are a US citizen with dual Dominican citizenship (meaning you were born in the DR, left to USA and became a USA citizen) you can take out a Dominican passport and go with that (DR passport).

But if you have a dual citizenship with u.s and you use your
Dominican Passport won't they require to see a visa? AKA allien card.. If not then any dominican , with his/her passport can travel go cuba without any hassel .. >???

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Just to be safe, don't use a credit card in Cuba. With "Big Brother" watching everyting these days, you never know.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Nyeden said:
But if you have a dual citizenship with u.s and you use your
Dominican Passport won't they require to see a visa? AKA allien card.. If not then any dominican , with his/her passport can travel go cuba without any hassel .. >???
Cuba issues Dominican citizens a visa upon arrival, similar to a tourist card.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
HOWMAR said:
Cuba issues Dominican citizens a visa upon arrival, similar to a tourist card. Are you implying that Dominicans would want to immigrate to Cuba?

I am not saying that they should. I am saying that if what you said is correct then any dominican with just a passport can travel freely to cuba. For a visit , per say ?? If they could many will then head there

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Nyeden said:
I am not saying that they should. I am saying that if what you said is correct then any dominican with just a passport can travel freely to cuba. For a visit , per say ?? If they could many will then head there

basically I just think its sounds too easy...

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Nyeden said:
2 years ago we had a cruise ship that was making weekly cruises from Puerto Plata with a stop in Cuba. The majority of the passengers were Dominican. Guess that is why they went out of business. But, really, why would the Cuban Government want to limit access of Dominicans, most of those who can afford to travel, travel with US dollars.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You can go to cuba legally but the catch is that you can't spend money there. Here is what you do: Go with a dominican person and give him the money to pay for your ticket and hotel and travel with him. Later you declare that you were invited to go to cuba by your dominican host who paid for everything, thus, you didn't spend any money there. Totally legal.
AZB

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
HOWMAR said:
2 years ago we had a cruise ship that was making weekly cruises from Puerto Plata with a stop in Cuba. The majority of the passengers were Dominican. Guess that is why they went out of business. But, really, why would the Cuban Government want to limit access of Dominicans, most of those who can afford to travel, travel with US dollars.

But from what I hear, you can't use U.S Dollars there... it is not valid in Cuba.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Nyeden said:
But from what I hear, you can't use U.S Dollars there... it is not valid in Cuba.
You heard wrong. US dollars are gladly accepted everwhere. It is the US that is saying an American cannot spend money. The Cubans are only too willing to help against the embargo.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I thought I read our bearded buddy put a "Tax" on US Dollars. I will find the article. Of course USD are accepted, but I do not believe it is the base currency, and are exchanged at 90% or something like that.

Perhaps someone that has been there in the past 6 months can comment instead of people guessing.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Tamborista said:
The convertible Peso is used as the base currency and cost 10% more when purchased with USD according to this articles.

http://www.chasque.net/ips_eng/notas/2004/10/26/16:42:12.html

http://www.hicuba.com/eng/resolution-80.htm
True, but in practical terms, for a US citizen to pay the commission to covert his dollars to Canadian or Euros (for a fee) before he travels and then get whatever rate of exchange into convertible pesos, he usually is about even if he just pays the 10% exchage tax on dollars. He doesn't have to worry about conversion rates as the convertible peso is pegged to equal the dollar.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
HOWMAR said:
Just to be safe, don't use a credit card in Cuba. With "Big Brother" watching everyting these days, you never know.
I don't think that US credit cards are usable in Cuba, some people will opt using a pre-paid canadian credit-card.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Howmar:

I trade currency, so it will cost you on OANDA as a retail investor .00105% to trade USD to EUR! The spread is 3 PIPS for anybody $1 or 1Miillion dollars.
If you walk into American Express, yes you will get bent over to the tune of 3% on the transaction.

Buy that's ok, you are correct as always!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
saint_72 said:
If you use your passport, be prepared to explain why do you have two sets of entrada & salida stamps on your passport when you return back to the US.