moving need advice

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Ok guys here is my situation. I have purged my life now of everything with the exception of four trunks full of stuff and one envelope full of the documents that make me legal. Everything else I have sold, given away or trashed. I have a good nest egg and military pension. I am 39.
I plan on making my move in several trips. First trip will be around 15 July for four to six weeks. I plan on making my final destination the Santiago or surrounding area.
I have several issues that may be able to resolve before my trip. As the belongings I want to have there are condensed into two airline trips is there something that resembles a Jack Rabbit storage or the like where I could rent out a small space and return three months later and still have my stuff?
I want an ATB Bicycle for my primary means of mobility. I am six foot five. Can I find a Raleigh or comparable bike with a 26 inch frame that would fit me or should I buy one here in the states and bring it along?
And finally anyone have any good suggestion for biking trips from Santiago. Realize my daily limit I put on my self is 30 miles since it has been a few years since I have been riding. I am used to 110 temps but no humidity.
I will go apartment hunting this first trip but not too concerned. In October I should be down for 7 months with a state side trip of six weeks next summer so I will look into some more permanent housing then.
John

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Everything you read

here about driving in the DR is going to apply even more so to riding. Don't count on any other vehicle following rules of the road or even using common sense. I'd guess it's as bad or worse in Afghanistan, so you may be prepared for that.

As far as storage is concerned, there was a recent discussion about that here, and it appears to be something there may be a demand for (possible business opportunity?) but not much feedback. I believe one place in Santo Domingo. My suggestion: make friends with as many people as you can who might have space in their garage, a spare room or storage shed, then ask them if they know of a place where you can store your stuff. You'll probably get offers to store it for nothing.

james

Jan 14, 2002
Regards to your personal documents make at least one duplicate copy of ALL of the important ones and keep them in a separate safe location.
Good luck John.